“excellent environment, good value for money!”

Sutera Harbour Resort (The Pacific Sutera & The Magellan Sutera)
Ranked #8 of 92 Hotels in Kota Kinabalu
Guangzhou, Guangdong, China
“excellent environment, good value for money!”
Reviewed December 26, 2012

They have their own harbor, just by the hotel garden! Nice room, nice facility, nice food, nice location, and helpful staff. We stayed at the executive floor for two nights. It was a great experience.

If I would have a chance to revisit KK, I would definitely choose Swing Pacific again!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (635)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed December 26, 2012

Not much to be impressed of for the price paid. Compare to the previous stay few years ago, the hospitality level has dropped tremendously.
beach front is pretty small. Pool wise, it is superb for toddlers and kids. Only thing that I will come back for. the kids playroom not conducive and facilities old and not quite fit for playing.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
kit1978
Reviewed December 26, 2012

My honest views and experience are as per below.

Let me start with the positives:
Sabri at the concierge desk is really helpful and made our stay really pleasurable with his smiling face!

And now the negatives - the experience was poor from the start:
1) At check-in we asked if we could have an upgrade (no harm in asking!). After some excessive flapping around we were told we were given a "show room". Wow - result we thought! We got there and it was a plain standard room. They should not have made up something that wasn't there!
2) Breakfast is a nightmare experience. The egg station is busy so why do you put a trainee there? Plain management 101 states placing your best people on a bottleneck and to fix the broken stove! One man uses two stoves and the other uses one only as one is broken. Cause queues in the morning.
3) Poor hygiene at the egg station - I do not eat beef as I am a Hindu. Yet at the egg station EVERY TIME I ordered an omelette, beef bits were going into the pan due to the sharing of spoons.
4) Went to the Silk Garden - the crab and sweetcorn soup we ordered was clearly heated up from the freezer rather than being made fresh as it was cold. I complained and the waitress just laughed until I asked for the manager. The food in general was poor. Worst Chinese I have had in my life - and I have been to some awful places before.
5) Spice Island - thought dinner at a Indian would be nice as I am Indian by descent. But again, we had miserly portion sizes and a very sweet curry. Food was dry and when I asked for some curd (tradition in an Indian meal) I was given two spoonfuls for my wife and I. Then tasting it, it was so sour it wasn't even edible.
6) Two days in a row I had to call the operator to get towels delivered to my room as after the "Make my room" service, it seemed the staff forgot most people do shower so need towels.
7) I paid by cash to settle my bill - my credit card guarantee was not even removed at check-out.

8) AND WORST OF ALL - I complained to Nils (Assistant Food Mgr) and he took note of my Silk Garden experience together with my room number. I thought the hotel would do right and at least do something for us given the extremely awful and insulting experience we had. But no - at check out nothing was mentioned -- not even an apology.

Overall I would suggest staying at the Shangri-La. We visited there and it was so much nicer!

Room Tip: Stay at the Megallan or if you can avoid it totally go to the Shangri-La!!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
SHR-Management, Director of Marketing Communications at Sutera Harbour Resort (The Pacific Sutera & The Magellan Sutera), responded to this review, January 8, 2013
Sutera Harbour Resort would like to extend its apologies to Mr Kirtan Kaneria for the recent bad experience while staying at our hotel. The General Manager of The Pacific Sutera Hotel, Mr Stefan Willimann has personally responded to Mr Kaneria via e-mail. Thank you.

The Management at Sutera Harbour
Berlin, Germany
Reviewed December 25, 2012

We stayed in the magellan, it is compound with marina, gym,2-3 hotel. And probably the best I have seen so far. Which 5 star can claim to have several pools, including slides and 50m pool,the gym the biggest I have seen on resort , all water activities available, food very good and much.
The Magellan has only atiny beach.
For children a advantage park from multiple activities, pools, slides, playground in and out door, perfect service etcetc.

The problem was construction of balcony! I saw my 2 year old son walking through the balcony fence, like nothing . I graped just his arm in the last moment, the only thing, inside of the balcony.
We have been in the 5th floor. It took me a while to become this experience, I informed the GM in writing about this and handed it personally to him, this was a while ago, so I don't know whether they fixed this. Probably during construction there was no supervision, in my country, there is the fist rule, you suppose not to be able to stick your fist through the bars of a fence.

Room Tip: Not high floor
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Kartran
Reviewed December 17, 2012

Stayed a night at the hotel for my partner's birthday. Though the place was pretty clean and nice, we thought the place could have been better for a 5 star hotel and for the price we paid. Room was clean and comfortable. Large bathroom but the shower area was a little small relatively.

Location wise, it is not too far from the city. It is a stand alone area with its own golf course. But if you like to travel around, you definitely need a car. It has its own water based activities and transport to the Islands, so that is pretty cool.

Overall, we think for a 5 star hotel we would have expected better thus we gave it an average rating.

• Stayed October 2012
Fremantle, Western Australia, Australia
Reviewed December 16, 2012

My husband and I have just returned from a 6 night stay at the Magellan Sutera. We both loved the friendly staff,the magnificent views and the tropical ambience. The beautiful facilities were plentiful with access to many water sports, several swimming pools, a bowling alley, and a movie theatre. There's a picturesque marina on your doorstep and you can marvel at a vast array of marine creatures that are clearly visible in the turquoise waters below your feet as you stroll along the walkway. The beaches are small and unspectacular at the resort but it's worth taking a boat trip to the nearby islands which are perfect for swimming, snorkling and sunbathing. We also enjoyed exploring the interesting city of Kota Kinabalu which was only a ten minute shuttle or taxi ride away from the Magellan. All in all, it was a wonderfull holiday experience and one that we'd highly recommend!

Room Tip: If you can afford it, choose a club room. The intimate ala carte breakfast, the more personalised se...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Shangri-La’s Rasa Ria Resort & Spa
Hotel Sixty3
Hotel Sixty3
#1 of 92 in Kota Kinabalu

Been to Sutera Harbour Resort (The Pacific Sutera & The Magellan Sutera)? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Sutera Harbour Resort (The Pacific Sutera & The Magellan Sutera)

Property: Sutera Harbour Resort (The Pacific Sutera & The Magellan Sutera)
Address: 1 Sutera Harbour Blvd, Kota Kinabalu 88100, Malaysia
Bar / Lounge Beach Business Center with Internet Access Fitness Center with Gym / Workout Room Free Breakfast Free Parking Children Activities (Kid / Family Friendly) Restaurant Room Service Shuttle Bus service Spa Suites Swimming Pool Wheelchair access
#2 On the Beach Hotel in Kota Kinabalu
#3 Business Hotel in Kota Kinabalu
#4 Spa Hotel in Kota Kinabalu
#5 Family Hotel in Kota Kinabalu
#6 Romantic Hotel in Kota Kinabalu
#6 Luxury Hotel in Kota Kinabalu
Hotel Class:5 star — Sutera Harbour Resort (The Pacific Sutera & The Magellan Sutera) 5*
Sutera Harbour Resort is Malaysia’s foremost premier integrated property. The resort encompasses the luxurious accommodation of The Pacific Sutera and The Magellan Sutera hotels, a 27-hole championship golf course, Sutera Harbour Marina & Country Club, two Mandara Spas and a host of dining and recreational facilities. Sutera Harbour Resort is also affiliated with 5 other eco-destinations in Sabah managed through Sutera Sanctuary Lodges including Kinabalu Park, Mesilau Nature Resort, Laban Rata, Poring Hot Spring & Nature Reserve and Manukan Island Resort. The resort also offers a luxury charter division, North Borneo Yachting and steam locomotive through North Borneo Railway. ... more   less
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Ctrip TA, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Priceline, Asiatravel.com Holdings, TripOnline SA, Agoda, Travelocity, Hotwire, Cancelon, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly and Evoline ltd so you can book your Sutera Harbour Resort (The Pacific Sutera & The Magellan Sutera) reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Sutera Harbour Resort (The Pacific Sutera And The Magellan Sutera)
Sutera Harbour Resort (The Pacific Sutera & The Magellan Sutera) Hotel
Sutera Harbour Hotel
Sutera Harbour Kota Kinabalu
Magellan Sutera
Sutera Harbour Resort (The Pacific Sutera & The Magellan Sutera) Kota Kinabalu, Sabah