“Holiday hotel suitable for family!”

Sutera Harbour Resort (The Pacific Sutera & The Magellan Sutera)
Ranked #8 of 92 Hotels in Kota Kinabalu
Reviewed November 21, 2012

We checked in two rooms with seaview at Pan Pacific and my parents love it!

room is spacious and clean, but facilities is a bit old. overall we are satisfied and happy with it.

breakfast room was a bit too crowded with many tourists joining tour company for holidays.

we rented a car so no transportation problem. car park is free. hotel provides shuttle bus to town too, so should be very handy for all.

my dad tried the spa services, a bit pricey, 20 mins for RM120.

will be back again for holiday!

Room Tip: go for seaview room if no budget issue.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed November 19, 2012

My wife and I with our baby, would like to compliment all of the staffs in the Pacific Sutera Harbour Resort for the excellent hospitality and services showered on us during our stay there.

According to my wife, this is the best ever vacation she had so far in her lifetime and she really love the stay very much - the services, facilities and the view. She even wanted to extend our stay but sadly, due to my business commitment in the office, we have to depart as per our original schedule.

We really love the scenery in the hotel especially from our sea view room overlooking the three islands. I would like to compliment three outstanding individuals who have made our stay special or shall I say magical in a way uniquely touches our heart. We were really blessed by God for choosing this hotel to stay despite numerous critics we read from TripAdvisor website.

The first individual that I would like to compliment is The Receptionist(a guy) on the day we checked in at around 1.45pm on 13 October 2012. I have forgotten the name of the receptionist during that day as I didn''t bother to look at his name at that time but what he did is really marvelous. He assigned a truly magnificent view room for us of which it really took my wife''s heart away upon entering the room.

The view was so magnificent that my wife just stood by the glass door and keep on telling me how nice the view was for about half an hour and everyday after she wake up & before sunset. This really make me happy as I have planned this vacation for quite some time and have to persuade my wife many times to visit KK as she is reluctant to travel to Borneo based on her previous experience in Miri where the sea water is not clean etc (I was from Miri and the sea is not as clean as KK).

The second individual that I would like to compliment is Mr. Sabri from the hotel concierge. He is a very nice gentleman and took the time to answer all my questions as I am a very fussy man and have a lot of things to ask. Mr. Sabri have been very good and patience in finding solution for all my questions and from our conversation, I knew that Mr. Sabri is an honest man. I was planning my wife's birthday on 15th October 2012 and Mr. Sabri provided a few suggestions to me and I'm really happy with his suggestion as one of it is to have the sunset dinner by the beach near Waves Pool Bar.

The third individual that I would to compliment is Mr. Joans from the Waves Pool Bar. When I went to the pool bar as per Mr. Sabri's advise to ask for the sunset dinner arrangement, I was told that the dinner require an 8 hour prior reservation of which at that time was around 2pm. Mr.Joans helped me to make the arrangement as I told him the dinner is very important to me as it's my wife's birthday and I don't have any other better plan for her.

I wanted to make the dinner special thus I skipped the buffet dinner offered at the resort and the only thing special that can help is the romantic dinner by the beach. Mr. Joans helped me to call his supervisor to seek for approval and have to negotiate with a few chefs at the bar as they were reluctant to accept the reservation because they need time to prepare the food and ingredient.

Luckily Mr. Joans manage to persuade the team to accept my reservation and it really make me happy because the dinner was special to my wife and I as it was our first time to eat by the beach with a chef and a team of people to serve just the three of us at a very reasonable price. Mr.Joans even arrange one slice of Birthday Cake and a group of 6-7 people to sing birthday song for my wife which took us by surprise. We really enjoy that night very much and we will treasure it for many years to come until Alzheimer took it away from us perhaps.

My baby - Aisyah (16 months now) also enjoy herself very much at the resort as this is her first time swimming in the pool and also to feed the fish at the jetty. She like the room very much as much as we do because we can see her very active playing in the room and at night, she sleep comfortably. All of us were really sad when we depart yesterday but this is definitely an experience we are going to treasure as it's really wonderful in the Pacific Sutera.

I hope that the hotel management can forward this message to the three outstanding individuals who have made our stay in the Pacific Sutera hotel magical and compliment them for the excellent services showered on us. Thank you very much The Receptionist, Mr. Sabri and Mr. Joans. We were very happy to have chosen The Pacific Sutera hotel and definitely will introduce it to my friends and family whenever they visit KK in the future. Thank you thank you and thank you all. Wish that we can meet again in the near future.

Room Tip: Any room facing the sea view with the islands facing your balcony.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank Amar_Danial
Reviewed November 17, 2012

Good: The resort is large enough to relax with a beautiful sunset. I have swam for a lot of time and it's so great. The poolside food was also nice. When evening, the resort was surrounded by the sunset and it's so amazing with the golden view.

Improvement: wifi only in lobby. The carpet of the room was not clean enough. Suggest not using carpet in the room as it's so near to the beach which made the carpet looked old and dirty. The condition of the room was not up to 5 stars standard.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank JulieKCChan
Reviewed November 16, 2012

My boyfriend & I just returned from an amazing 10 days in KK. We loved every minute of it! We stayed at the Magellan Sutera - we loved the amazing views of the South China Sea & surrounding islands from the pool & restaurants. Our room was comfortable & well air-conditioned.
The true beauty of the resort though is the people we met. We were greeted with such welcoming smiles & hello's, we arrived around dinner time, hungry & tired. Check in was easy & we soon headed to dinner at one of the hotel restaurants Al Fresco. The people who work here are so friendly & have a great sense of humour. Lovely food & they make an awesome cocktail!
Breakfast daily at 5 sails was a highlight. Very nice food, amazing views & such friendly staff. They looked after us so well that we felt like family by the end - we can't wait to go back!
The people at the Magellan were so lovely, make sure you make time to smile & meet some of them. Make use of their local knowledge, they are so proud of their state & love to tell you things to see & do.
We would deffintiely recommend everyone to stay at the Magellan & hope you enjoy KK as much as we did.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank CandiceZav
Reviewed November 13, 2012

I just want to leave a note here for people that want to do windsurfing in KK that despite the website of this resort saying that windsurfing is available, it most definitely is NOT so please don't choose this place if you hope to do some windsurfing.

OK, on to my review. I stayed at the Pacific Resort for 3 nights and found that this resort is very average, quite out-dated in terms of facilities and rooms need upgrading. The gym at Pacific is very small so I would recommend guests walking to the Marina Clubhouse where there is a much bigger gym; you have to share it with outside guests however. I took a walk to the Magellan which is much grander, quieter and nicer so I would recommend people to choose Magellan over Pacific if they have a choice. When I was there Pacific was overrun by mainland Chinese and Korean tourist groups so it is not a very relaxing place at all. However lunch and dinner experiences were quite good - food was fresh and tasty.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank vaxx
SHR-Management, Director of Marketing Communications at Sutera Harbour Resort (The Pacific Sutera & The Magellan Sutera), responded to this reviewResponded November 20, 2012

We would like to thank Vaxx for bringing to our attention the misprint in our website stating windsurfing is available on our Resort’s activities. Windsurfing is currently not available and we do apologise for the misleading information. The wrongly placed information on our website has been deleted and content has been checked for accuracy.

Reviewed November 12, 2012

My friend and I booked 2 room via internet.We specifically booked for Megellan Sutera with a balcony view.We were assured the rooms were available.I called the night before to shorten my stay to 2 days instead of 3.Again was assured by the staff everything was fine.
Arrived on a Friday night and took a taxi to Megellan Sutera and was told they booked us not at Megellan but at Pacific Sutera!They then brought us to Pacific Sutera..They just gave us 2 rooms and my friend insisted on a balcony room which was booked and the desk clerk said"oh that's subject to availability!"I asked "How can you say that when we already booked our room specifically for a room with balcony?".
To cut a long story short,it doesnt register with the clerk with whatever we said.No apologies at all was given and by this time it is 9pm and we were hungry and our mood also began to hot up.
There was a tall gentlemen looking on and I thought he was in charge.I started telling him what happen and again he listened in silence.No help whatsoever.Then it dawn on me that we are at their mercy and I decided to take whatever room they gave me and told them to just give my friend whatever he asked or we be there until daylight!
They agreed and we enjoyed our golfing next day.The Garden course was very badly maintained and the Heritage course is better.We played 9 hole at Garden and the othe nine at Heritage.They charged M$350.00 for a course that dont maintained the bunkers.All bunkers in Garden was GUR.Green was slow and was not good.Heritage was a complete different story-well maintained and green was fast and true.
So for M$350 it is a price I think is too steep.Hotel was ok a little old but acceptable.Breakfast was included but have very little choices.They dont have fried noodles or Kwei tiaw,strange for a malaysian hotel.No bacon or curry or rice or nasi lemak at all.
Staff service was generally good except the most important service staff who are at the reception.Polite Words which we take for granted in the service industry like "sorry" "please" and "thank you" seem NOT to have been taught and learnt by the service reception clerks.They dont look at the time and perhaps emphatised with the fact that travellers may be hungry and tired which tend to make them short tempered.
On the whole we enjoyed Kota Kinabalu but for the booking and checking in at the hotel.The taxi from the Hotel to the airport which is about 10 mins away costed M$70 which is daylight robbery.I have mixed feeling about this hotel and was surprised that tripadviser rated them as only 4 starred.The hotel lobby and all very majestically impressive but I think I understand why they not rated 5 starred for a 5 starred hotel now.

Francis

Room Tip: All room have nice view but ask for balcony and insist they write it down and dont take No for an an...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank frank c
SHR-Management, Director of Marketing Communications at Sutera Harbour Resort (The Pacific Sutera & The Magellan Sutera), responded to this reviewResponded November 27, 2012

Dear Mr Frank.c

Many thanks for your comments which we investigated accordingly.

We would like to apologize that our facilities and services did not meet your expectation.
By checking your reservation we realized that your reservation was made at the Pacific Sutera Hotel and not at The Magellan Sutera Resort as requested by you.

We therefore kindly ask you to contact us directly as we do not have your email address on file. We also would like to comment on your additional feedback in more detail.

Kind regards
The Management

Reviewed November 10, 2012 via mobile

Rooms are lovely and clean, is some noise from aeroplanes though. Having previously stayed at Rasa Ria where service was amazing my issue with this hotel was being charged to make a call whereas The Rasa Ria happily done this for me. The hotel is a short taxi ride away from KK.

• Stayed: November 2012
Shangri-La’s Rasa Ria Resort & Spa
Hotel Sixty3
Hotel Sixty3
#1 of 92 in Kota Kinabalu

Been to Sutera Harbour Resort (The Pacific Sutera & The Magellan Sutera)? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Sutera Harbour Resort (The Pacific Sutera & The Magellan Sutera)

Address: 1 Sutera Harbour Blvd, Kota Kinabalu 88100, Malaysia
Bar / Lounge Beach Business Center with Internet Access Fitness Center with Gym / Workout Room Free Breakfast Free Parking Children Activities (Kid / Family Friendly) Restaurant Room Service Shuttle Bus service Spa Suites Swimming Pool Wheelchair access
#2 On the Beach Hotel in Kota Kinabalu
#3 Business Hotel in Kota Kinabalu
#4 Spa Hotel in Kota Kinabalu
#5 Family Hotel in Kota Kinabalu
#6 Luxury Hotel in Kota Kinabalu
#6 Romantic Hotel in Kota Kinabalu
Price Range: $117 - $286 (Based on Average Rates for a Standard Room)
Hotel Class:5 star — Sutera Harbour Resort (The Pacific Sutera & The Magellan Sutera) 5*
Sutera Harbour Resort is Malaysia’s foremost premier integrated property. The resort encompasses the luxurious accommodation of The Pacific Sutera and The Magellan Sutera hotels, a 27-hole championship golf course, Sutera Harbour Marina & Country Club, two Mandara Spas and a host of dining and recreational facilities. Sutera Harbour Resort is also affiliated with 5 other eco-destinations in Sabah managed through Sutera Sanctuary Lodges including Kinabalu Park, Mesilau Nature Resort, Laban Rata, Poring Hot Spring & Nature Reserve and Manukan Island Resort. The resort also offers a luxury charter division, North Borneo Yachting and steam locomotive through North Borneo Railway. ... more   less
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Asiatravel.com Holdings, Booking.com, Expedia, Ctrip TA, Priceline, Agoda, Travelocity, Orbitz, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, HotelQuickly, getaroom.com and Evoline ltd so you can book your Sutera Harbour Resort (The Pacific Sutera & The Magellan Sutera) reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Sutera Harbour Resort (The Pacific Sutera And The Magellan Sutera)
Sutera Harbour Resort (The Pacific Sutera & The Magellan Sutera) Hotel
Sutera Harbour Hotel
Sutera Harbour Kota Kinabalu
Magellan Sutera
Sutera Harbour Resort (The Pacific Sutera & The Magellan Sutera) Kota Kinabalu, Sabah