“Keep it up!”

Promenade Hotel
Ranked #17 of 92 Hotels in Kota Kinabalu
“Keep it up!”
Reviewed July 29, 2011

I have been staying in this Hotel 5 years back whenever i travel to KK for Business trip! Well i returned to this hotel this Tuesday again.
They refurbished the lobby areas, looks grand and nice. I would say the hotel still in good maintenance.

However, i need to stressed to the staffs performance at the check in counters...PLEASE HAVE MORE SMILE ON YOUR FACE PLEASE...

Room was clean but TV is old (shld upgrade to LCD). Overall, still ok will still stay in this hotel in the future.

Thanks

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (117)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Reviewed July 26, 2011

This is my previous review on this hotel - http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g298307-d305927-r94376116-Promenade_Hotel-Kota_Kinabalu_Sabah.html

I vow not to step into this hotel, but due to unavoidable circumstances the group of friends had to book this hotel.

Having a bad experience before I had very low expectation for this hotel. A group of us arrived, nothing changed since.
- Parking is still 45 minutes free
- Bell boy doesn't help with the luggage.
- Check-in was OK

Room
------------
Now the secret to this place is to get the sea facing room at the 10th floor which is the Promenade Club floor. The rooms are so much better than the Superior one I had before.

There is LCD TV now, it's much brighter and the sea view is nice. Rooms and bathroom are clean. No problem with the hot shower.

There seem to be a mark of improvement since my last visit especially if you get to stay on the 10th floor.

Pool
----------
Was closed for more than 1 week.

As we checked out, I was surprised that the doorman actually helped with one of our luggage. The rest as per my old review.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
Edinburgh
Reviewed July 25, 2011

Title pretty much says it all!
Can not fault the staff in any way. I had to book the hotel inconveniently through an external site which managed to bodge up the booking but the staff at reception went out of their way (despite not being their fault) to accommodate us and not charge anymore for it. The concierge staff were also extremely friendly and helpful and always smiling.
Rooms were comfortable, quiet and clean.
Hotel is about 10-15 minute walk away from centre but did not bother us.
Food for breakfast was a very wide selection, not the best in the world but more than enough to fill you up.
Shame about the pool which seems to have a bad sewage kind of smell lurking close to it but this was probably the only real downside.
Good value for money, I think it was one of the cheapest 4* hotels with a pool.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 25, 2011

We stayed here from 18 - 22 Jul for a business trip. Stayed in RM1214.
Fast & friendly check-in. We booked for an Executive Superior room, but was offered complementary upgrade to a Deluxe Suite, which was awesome! My husband and I loved the room, it was huge & lovely! and had a beautiful view of the ocean + city. plenty of place to sit down, separated living room, 2 LCD TVs, Smoking room, safebox in the room, bathtub + Shower (we had abit of trouble trying to adjust the water heater level tho), complementary welcome fruits, daily newspapers . We enjoyed the promenade clubfloor facilities too! watching sunset by the balcony, served with free flow of drinks & cocktails.

Location was fairly ok. Within 10-minutes from the airport (Airport taxi cost RM30 to the hotel). Walking distance to waterfront, Philippines market, shopping malls, town centre, etc. Car park is RM2 per entry.

Downhills? the internet connection was quite a hassle. the LAN connection is rather unstable and we kept having to request for a new User ID & password! but the night staff were very swift & helpful! TV reception from room 1214 was bad. Requested for maintenance to fix but they never did fix the problem. Insufficient 3-pin sockets in the room! We had to unplug some of the beautiful table lamp just to plug in our charger, iron, lappy, etc.. house keeping were slow, room were only made ard 4pm! (just make an effort to remind them the next day).

Nevertheless, it was good value and we would certainly return if we visit KK again!

Room Tip: Executive rooms on the Promenade Club Floors are good value, with access to the Club facilities &...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank coffeencream2329
Kuching, Malaysia
Reviewed July 20, 2011

My room is with sea view so is nice! Location is not city centre but it's not too far. Quiet and just in a stone throw to the waterfront walkways. Lots of places to sit down, have a drink and relax plus the wonderful sea view, after all KK is famous for it's beautiful islands. Comfortable hotel for family stay. Just next to it is a seafood restaurant with variety of seafood, a bit pricey though. Will stay here in my next trip to KK!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank Andytt
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed June 30, 2011

I stayed here from 30/06 - 03Jul. In RM944. Reached the hotel after 2pm, standard internation check in.. I was told the room is not ready...which was fine with me but the most annoying this was that the receptionst thought it could be solve by offering me a welcome drink. all she could said the hotel is fully booked. I understand the situation if I came in early but this is after 2pm and I excepted the room to be ready upon my arrival.
Since I had declined, she never even said anything just continue with her work. I don't want to spolit my 1st time in Kota kinabalu, hoping things will turned out better. The moment I entered my room after waiting for 1 1/2 hours.. it was not the room I expected.. twin bedded with all the things doesn't seems to work. I had to come down
personally as the phone in room is one of items which doesn't function. The duty manager as usual never apologised just said that my room will be change the next..
Well, that's fine with me cos I was too tired to think of anything. Next day in the afternoon, the same pretty airhead at the counter just starting at the computer screen without even looking at me.. said the first thing coming out from her mouth..- CHECK OUT...that's it she had trigger my spot bad.. I had to leash it out to the manager on duty manager.. well
I am not sure whether she will take whatever I had highlight to her.. but still my room will be ready at 4pm.. just imagined that..The moral of the story.. this is your last alternative hotel.. besides the entrance and impressive lobby.. everything else hit rock bottom!! Don't stay here... just add RM200/- give yourself a luxury treat at Le Meridien!!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
3 Thank HotKitty

Travelers are raving about these Kota Kinabalu hotels

Western Australia
Reviewed June 22, 2011

Smooth friendly check-in. We had booked an Executive room definately money well spent. The room was lovely and had a beautiful view of the ocean. My Husband and I loved the clubroom facilities particularly cocktail hour a lovely way to start the evening (One of the best clubrooms we have experienced) Staff were effecient and very friendly always a hello and a smile (Special thanks to the wonderful Paredick who made our stay so perfect and Jay with his lovely happy nature....thank you Gentlemen!) Breakfast was terrific and service impecable.
Location was great..walking distance to restaurants etc. Pool was small but great for a quick dip.
We certainly would recommend the Promenade Hotel.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple