“Be wowed by the room”

Hyatt Regency Kinabalu
Ranked #4 of 92 Hotels in Kota Kinabalu
“Be wowed by the room”
Reviewed September 29, 2013

We arrived at Hyatt Regency Kinabalu at about 9:30pm after our Mt Kinabalu climb. The check-in went pretty smoothly. The front desk mentioned that we had by default booked for twin bedders and they were glad to help us change it to King. There were internet in the room as well and that was totally welcome since we had no chance to check our emails in the two days that we were up on the mountain. We were given our room cards all within 10 minutes.

We checked into our room, freshened up, then book for our massage the next day, and finally, dinner for the night.

Overall, the décor of the hotel was nothing to crow about. The carpet along the corridor looked due for replacement and the hotel in general needs a bit of sprucing up. Once we opened the door to the room though, I was not complaining as it was newly renovated and the room consisted of a small living area with two single sofa and a coffee table. They even had a work table. The wash, bath and toilet area were pretty well contained. There were wooden sliding doors that helped to separate the sleeping and the washing area.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (254)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 20, 2013

You are sharing with your friends to meeting me at KK city Hyatt Hotel Room in October 2013, Dual bedroom 4-person stay in badge, per room RM150.00 ++ a day, per person RM50.00 added an amount. Do you come in Kota Kinabalu National Park, please tell me for yours traveler in 2-3 days.

Thank you for review first traveler.

Room Tip: "Rooms on the south side are quieter"
4 Thank Lee H
Los Angeles
Reviewed September 19, 2013

It was my first time here at Kota Kinabalu, as well as my first time staying in this hotel. Compared to other Hyatt properties, Hyatt Regency Kinabalu has its pros and cons. The rooms are definitely the highlights, which are all freshly refurbished with modern furniture, comfortable bed, sufficient lighting, and the bathrooms are clean with a good shower facility. There are also a number of restaurants located in the hotel. I had a pleasant dinner in the restaurant. The hotel staffs are also friendly, and the bell staffs are at hand to assist with luggages. However the exterior and the lobby of the room looked very dark, and it was time for a major clean up and refurbishment. As a Hyatt elite member, I got free wifi, but the basic wifi was almost too slow to be any useful. I had to pay an extra 30 MYR to upgrade to premium, which is basically the normal speed but downloading music and video are still slow - definitely not the "premium" speed that they are trying to sell. BTW taxi to and from the airport costs 30 MYR and it is charged based on a zone system. From the airport, please remember to go to one of the taxi counters to purchase a ticket, and from the hotel, please ask the bell desk staff to assist.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
5 Thank Adrian L
Seoul, South Korea
Reviewed September 19, 2013

Nice rooms, well appointed as they say, unlike most of the reviews here, I think it deserves a 5 star rating. I've not stayed in too many hotels in KK, but this is the best I've been in so far deserving of the Hyatt label.

Best part of my stay was the shower - rain type that feels like a tropical storm. It does take a bit of trial and error and engineering skills to get it set correctly. When I turned on the shower, it was not reset to the hand shower so I had a few seconds of cold "rain". The shower maintained constant temperature during the shower. The room was on the 7th floor.

Internet works. Period. Not South Korea speeds, but reasonable enough to get most iPhone-y things done. I didn't try youtube - why try to tax the Malaysian internet system which treats 1mbps as "broadband"?

Stayed in the hotel at the start and end of a long 50km trail race in Mount Kinabalu, and chose this hotel to have a good night sleep before and after the race. It was good to have something to look forward to while at kilometer 40 in the hot sun, dreaming of the lazy life.

All these luxury in KK comes with a price. Although reasonable for western standards, its on the expensive side for Malaysia. Not horribly so.

Oh, the hotel looks outdated from the outside. Perhaps due for a facelift? Then again I'd fuss more if the hotel looks killer from outside but sucks inside. Killer inside, sucky outside is fine with me.

4 Thank Dufffader
Johor Bahru, Johor, Malaysia
Reviewed September 18, 2013

I have stayed in many Hyatt Regency around the world & it is supposed to be 4 star only. Here they're claiming to be a 5 star establishment, this hotel does not live upto the 5 star rating & for the price charged. The rain shower in the bathroom could not be used as the water pressure is low & had to use the normal hose shower which is low in pressure & sometimes no water. Worst of all water temperature control fluctuates very fast. Luckily, I was not scalded when I switched to more hot water when the shower turned a bit colder.

The bedroom probably had thin walls & ceiling coz every movement on top of my room or the room next to mine, i could just be annoyed by their tapping noise created by other room guests next door or above mine. This is an old building, I remembered I had stayed there almost 20 years ago when I came with my family. Luckily, the rooms are refurbished.

The steak I ordered at Mosaic bistro is not hot presumably it was left unattended for some time before it was served to me after cooking.

Had a breakfast accompanied for the price package. I had to check-out early on my last day of stay and was unable to have breakfast at the cafe area, so I opted for a breakfast pack upon check-out. To my disappointment, I was not even offered anything when I made my check-out.

Worst of all, the hotel concierge does not ensure guests safety and allow taxis to fleece the guests. Metered Taxis insist not to use their meter even when told. A 2km ride costs RM12.00 and from the hotel to airport which is less than 5KM costs RM40.00? Aren't taxi prices the same compared to Peninsula Malaysia ie. Johor Bahru or Kuala Lumpur? This is highway robbery. They even had the cheek to issue a receipt for the price charged.

Hyatt in Manila, Philippines always ensure taxis in their compound gives an estimate price for the destination before it departs & ensures precautions & instructions are delivered to the taxi driver to use their meter.

It is surely not a Hyatt & probably should be downgraded or change name. I will try to stay there again soon & see if it was me who had a problem or that it is the true Hyatt hospitality in Sabah that needs a change.

Room Tip: Stay away from rooms near the elevators.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank Yap W
Miri, Sarawak, Malaysia
Reviewed September 17, 2013 via mobile

This hotel have really good service, from the receptionist to the housekeeping lady were very helpful n friendly. Room was clean, well kept, n equipped with the necessity. Depends on which view you like to have, for me i prefer the sea view. City view would be cheaper though. The location is strategeically in the centre of the city. U name it, suria sabah, centre point, wisma merdeka, gaya street and etc... shop till u drop n enjoy the sunset sunrise view at your heart desire. hotel food also not too bad. Would be even great if the hotel cud have more variety on the food. Swimming pool, spa n fitness centre are clean, and the environment is fine. Worth the value. Enjoyed my stay in this hitel. Defintely coming back for more especially their cheese cake. A must try.

• Stayed September 2013
2 Thank Adeline W
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed September 15, 2013

One night business stay. Swift check in and all questions answered. Room looks quite new. Spacious room. Big comfy bed. Plenty of hot water in shower. Ordered room service and was good quality and came within 20minutes. Rest of hotel not renovated to standard of rooms. Used a meeting room - it was set up well though. Refreshments and coffee were okay for meeting purposes. Breakfast is just ok - not exactly international hotel standard. Can't comment on value, location, spa as company paid and I didn't go outside!

Room Tip: Rm 1111. Near lift but not noisy. No noise from outside or functions downstairs. Rubbish city 'v...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business