“noThing but a sweet Mistake”

The Palace Hotel Kota Kinabalu
Ranked #41 of 92 Hotels in Kota Kinabalu
Tenom, Malaysia
“noThing but a sweet Mistake”
Reviewed June 18, 2012

last week i take a good 2 day vacation on my on..dont know what i want to do ..just want to take a good walk and have some fun..acctualy i want to buy a replacement for my hard disk and in the same times bring as much as i can my cloth and go to laundry..hahaha yes im that kind of man..by the way we go to the topic..in a way from tenom to kota kinabalu..im searching from my cute application for a good hotel..but still when near to kota kinabalu..i cant make any choice A good hotel..what im thinking..no plan for anything..so when the cab driver ask me..i just say what i see..there i say...what the hotel name i dont know..so the driver told me..that is BERJAYA PALACE HOTEL..oWH..so the 1st thing i came in my mind is what im thinking..this must be a expnsve..but its compltly wrong..coz its turn got a very good rate..and the service is so so so good..thnkz to them they acctualy help me to make my vacation a good day..a sweet room ..have a good facality and everything is near to the hotel..a shopping cmplx and everything u want to search is near them..wow..the taxi srvice there is good 2 me and i make a long distnce trip just for MYR 25 -30..some say the taxi service is expsive..but u have a so much choice..exmple have a rental car and take some guide with you..its will be pleasnt holiday..that what i see..anyway..if u want to have a guide for a good hotel rate..u can go to Agoda.com..:)..overrall..it is a good hotel to stay..owh berfore i frget..if u stay in this hotel dont forget to try "palace burger" is will make u stunt..so delicious..by the way sorry for my english :) im NOt very good wiTH iT..

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank akue1872

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
Malaysia
Reviewed June 3, 2012

Room was surprisingly small. It reminds me of hotel rooms in HK, Taiwan and Japan where space is at a premium. Surprisingly, it does provide internet access something which I can't do without. However, being located at a low floor, I do smell smoke and hear the lounge music. I was very surprised they don't provide mineral water bottles but actually had water served in a hot water flask instead. I had a hard time trying to find sufficient power sockets to charge my laptop, my 2 phones and using the hairdryer at the same time.
Breakfast spread was limited and the food cold and hardly palatable especially the dim sum which was cold and hard that I am surprised they can even be served. Surprisingly, they have
the crowd who I see are from HK.
I don't think I will be coming back again.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed April 2, 2012

Plus points:
Location, Car Park, Ambience, Friendly staff
Minus points:
Air-cond is not functioning well, Breakfast is way below the standard of hotel in this range, Water pressure for the shower is unusually low.

Room Tip: Don't choose those on 1st floor, else you will suffer through the night with the A/C unit noise.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
vinslöv
Reviewed March 27, 2012

After travelling the world for over 26 years we have found our nisch at this hotel - the Palace Hotel Kota Kinabalu Sabah Malaysia.
Two years ago we stayed at this hotel. We were well taken care of in every thinkable way, in cluding the arrangements of our 38th Wedding Annisversary. because of the wonderful way they took care of us, we decided to spend our Ruby Annisversary ( 40 years ) at the same hotel
Our expectations this time were already high when we made our booking to stay at the Palace Hotel for 2 mths
We started our holiday with a mth in Thailand ( Phuket ). On the 29/12 we flew to Kota Kinabalu & was picked up by the General Manager + 2 Senior staff. When we arrived we were greeted by the Senior bellboy that recognised us from our previous visit now we felt that we had come home
Because of medical reasons I have to have a constant roomstemperatur, this was delt with at once by producing an extra electrcity card
During our stay we were invited to some of the local festivities ie the Chinese New Year. We were treated like near friends as we attended some of their private parties. We were even shown parts of Sabah that we wouldnt have seen without their help ie the Cultural Village i Kota Kinabalu.
Our Ruby Anniversary was well beyond our expectations. My husband was dressed in the local Malaysian garments & headdress.. For myself I received the help of 2 young ladies that did my make up & hair - for me everything was a secret but for the staff they knew we were going to have some kind of celebrations but they kept real quiet about it all
For us there is only one place for us to spend our vacation & that is at the Palace Hotel Kota Kinabalu Sabah
Warmly recommended

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Bruce N
Ipswich, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 17, 2012

A modern hotel slightly outside the centre, on a hill overlooking the city. Taxi to the centre of KK is 15RM, to Tanjung Aru beach 20RM (even though it's three times as far!). The room was spacious and clean, modern-style with white furniture and laminate wood floors. Good shower and bathroom in general. Breakfast was great, with a vast selection of foods - western, Indian, dim sum etc. There is a big emphasis on eco friendliness and recycling which is good to see.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Treens
Reviewed March 16, 2012

The hotel is located a bit off center. I didn't expect the taxi fare so expensive in kk. So I would recommend stay inside the city to save the transport fare. And at night people would sing ktv at the hotel lounge. Somehow the room i stayed could hear their singing quite clearly at night. And that was really annoying considering I was trying to sleep. Maybe should have chosen a different room. Otherwise the room is fine. But the wifi was down while we were there. Hope they could fix it soon.

• Stayed March 2012
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed February 21, 2012

The hotel is actually located nearby the city centre but not within walking distance of any other places of interest and furthermore the entrance route to this particular hotel were diverted further from the actual distance that you think where it was located (it seems near but drifted away kind of place). However if you prefer a more privacy, and away from all those bickering traffic pollution, this could be your spot.
The hotel wasn't as posh as it name, nothing close to any palace in the world that is, but limited to just a basic comfortable hotel with all the basic amenities that you would wish a hotel to have. I mean, look at the price you are paying, so be fair.

Bathroom was very basic, nothing posh. If I were to compare the same room rate of other hotels that I've been, I believe I'm getting a little bit less in terms of spaciousnes and layout design. The only complain would be; the vertical blind of its window IRRITATE me the whole entire night as it can't be pull down any lower to cover the entire window and I kept seeing those neon lights from afar.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business