My husband and I and my brother and his wife arrived at the Tanjung after 4 days in Singapore.We had never been to Borneo before and didnt know quite what to expect
We need not have worried, The Shangri-la`Tanjung Aru was the perfect location for what we had in mind.
We felt it was well worth the 5 star as the location and facilities were excellent. We ate in the Chinese Restaurant in the hotel and found it to be cheap and of a resonable standard.When travelling we like to saviour the local foods and bars and restaurants and after some tips fromRoslan, in the lobby bar ,who was very helpfull we ventured out to Kotu Kinabalu, to the Waterfront area were we found The Northern India Restaurant and ate a great meal overlooking the South China Sea. We ate out for 5 of our 7 nights and found the food to be cheap and of a good standard. Little Italy was an excellent Restaurant, offering a large menu to suit most tastes.Taxis were cheap and plentifull.
Just along the road from the hotel, in the Tanjung shopping precinct we found another excellent restaurant worth a mention called the Mediteranean. If you are on a smaller budget very cheap food was available in the locals section.
We travelled up on the hotels coach to the Rai Risa resort to see the Orangutangs. Found it to be well worth the trip, We were lucky enough to see 4 small orangutangs playing in the wild under the supervision of the warden. We had a superb lunch in the Rai Risa which was gorgeous hotel on a fabulous beach.
We jumped a taxi to the Cultural Village and had an enjoyable morning out, followed by some great cheap shopping in one of the shopping malls in Kotu Kinabalu. Lunch for 4 with drinks for £5.
We all thoroughly enjoyed our stay in the Tanjung, and although it was a very busy hotel they managed to maintain a friendly atmosphere. The only slight drawback, we found was the bar service in the lobby at times could be a little slow.
The staff were all very helpfull, especially the Seik duty manager, whoes name escapes us.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A paradise for the senses surrounded by natural beautyA gentle breeze caresses your face as you wake to the sound of waves lapping the beach. The balcony opens up to an inspiring vista of sparkling coral islands and swaying of palm trees. Tunku Abdul Rahman Park, bordered by crystal clear waters and lush vegetation Sophistication surrounds you in a lavishly decorated suite inspired by Borneo’s rich cultural heritage. Shangri-La’s Tanjung Aru Resort and Spa, Kota Kinabalu, is a perfect tropical getaway, a luxurious tranquil retreat just a short drive from the city.Yet, excitement beckons as you set out to discover all Kota Kinabalu’s delights. Making your way to Kinabalu National Park, you are thrust into a jungle paradise of natural wonders, rugged landscapes and scenic beauty. From the Rafflesia, the largest flower in the world, to the famous Orangutans in their natural habitat, it only gets more breathtaking every step of the way.The afternoon is spent exploring the picturesque town of Kota Belud. As Sabah’s largest and most popular open market, you find gems of all sorts, ranging from handmade handicrafts to mouth-watering local delights like natural honey.Back at the resort, you look forward to a sunset cruise, which departs from STAR Marina, to catch Borneo's famous sunset. Not long after, you wind down at Coco-Joe’s Bar & Grill. Lounging atop one of the beach-dining platforms, over cocktails and a delectable seafood tower, you continue to enjoy the sound of overlapping waves on the shores of Sunset Beach. A pampering session at CHI, The Spa rounds off the day. With treatments based on traditional Asian healing philosophies, you lose yourself in an enchanted and indulgent journey, all on the resort’s private spa island.For every experience here, you are surrounded by natural beauty. And it all begins at Shangri-La’s Tanjung Aru Resort and Spa, Kota Kinabalu ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Agoda, Hotels.com, Ctrip TA, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, Orbitz, Cancelon, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly and Evoline ltd so you can book your Shangri-La's Tanjung Aru Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Shangri-La`s Tanjung Aru Resort And Spa
- Shangri-La`s Tanjung Aru Hotel Kota Kinabalu
- Shangri Las Tanjung Aru Resort
- Shangri Las Tanjung Aru Hotel
- Shangri La Kota Kinabalu
- Shangri-La's Tanjung Aru Resort & Spa Kota Kinabalu, Sabah