The title might seem a bit harsh, but unfortunately this hotel and many others in Sabah are geared for kids. Something we didn't expect at all. If you are after a peaceful holiday don't go to this part of Borneo. There are many organised activities which make the hotel like a holiday camp. It is "in your face" all the time especially when the pool aerobics starts up at 11 am for an hour with extremely loud music!
The hotel looks impressive and overall we liked the look of it better than the Rasa Ria, an hour away. However there is no air conditioning in the hotel open areas just in the indoor restaurants and rooms. This makes it very uncomfortable at night as the temperature didn't go down below 90 degrees.
The rooms are of a high standard, and we were in the Tanjung Wing even though we had booked the Kinabalu Wing. They were very comfortable with plenty of drawer and cupboard space. They had in-room safes, tv (but not with any good movies which was disappointing) and a good size balcony with towel rails and comfortable chairs. The air con. is also easy to change and you are not kept awake at night from noisy fans.
The restaurants at the hotel are extremely expensive and we found it a lot better to eat out of the hotel wherever possible. A meal at Coco Joe's cost us around £62 just for a bbq main course and a very small ice cream plus a drink each.
Cafe Tatu (or Cafe Tatty as we called it) had a lot of choice but it was just like Butlin's with screaming children, total chaos and lots of noise. We hated it and only ate there once.
The Shang Palace was ok but the food was quite greasy, so not the best chinese we have had in the Far East.
We found it better to pay for an upgrade to the Horizon Lounge where a buffet breakfast was much more to our liking. The ambiance was nice and peaceful (most of the time) with a relaxed atmosphere and much better service. It was well worth the extra money. You could also have tea & coffee all day long and cocktails (not actually cocktails but soft drinks) and canapes early evening.
The pool was very warm and kept very clean but was not big enough for the number of guests. The pool area was quite dirty and could have done with a good hose down each day, especially with the number of kids at the hotel spilling drinks and dropping food.
The beach was gorgeous with golden sand and warm water. However jelly fish were present on a couple of occasions and we therefore couldn't go swimming on these days. It was more peaceful on the beach.
The Spa was very good and reasonably priced. I had a foot and leg massage which included a temple & neck massage in with it. This cost about £20, much less than I have paid before in other Spa's around the world. The smells of the oils were gorgeous and very relaxing.
Hotel staff - mostly extremely friendly and helpful but some at the reception were not so helpful. We tried to book the Rasa Ria's Nature Reserve and was told that only 6 people were allowed from the Tanjung Aru each session each day and that the whole week was booked up. We also couldn't get on a flight to Sepilok as the flights had been changed and they were full as well. We didn't believe this and rang the Rasa Ria ourselves and found that they were not full at all! We then booked ourselves to see the Orang's and got a taxi to the Rasa Ria giving us time to have lunch before the tour. If we had gone with the hotel we would have had to have left at 10.30 in the morning for the afternoon session at 2.30 and hung around the Rasa Ria for all those hours. In that heat that was not the most sensible thing to do!
Our advice is to book as many trips and outings that you can yourselves rather than through your tour operator or the hotel. Prices are much more reasonable and you get more for your money.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A paradise for the senses surrounded by natural beautyA gentle breeze caresses your face as you wake to the sound of waves lapping the beach. The balcony opens up to an inspiring vista of sparkling coral islands and swaying of palm trees. Tunku Abdul Rahman Park, bordered by crystal clear waters and lush vegetation Sophistication surrounds you in a lavishly decorated suite inspired by Borneo’s rich cultural heritage. Shangri-La’s Tanjung Aru Resort and Spa, Kota Kinabalu, is a perfect tropical getaway, a luxurious tranquil retreat just a short drive from the city.Yet, excitement beckons as you set out to discover all Kota Kinabalu’s delights. Making your way to Kinabalu National Park, you are thrust into a jungle paradise of natural wonders, rugged landscapes and scenic beauty. From the Rafflesia, the largest flower in the world, to the famous Orangutans in their natural habitat, it only gets more breathtaking every step of the way.The afternoon is spent exploring the picturesque town of Kota Belud. As Sabah’s largest and most popular open market, you find gems of all sorts, ranging from handmade handicrafts to mouth-watering local delights like natural honey.Back at the resort, you look forward to a sunset cruise, which departs from STAR Marina, to catch Borneo's famous sunset. Not long after, you wind down at Coco-Joe’s Bar & Grill. Lounging atop one of the beach-dining platforms, over cocktails and a delectable seafood tower, you continue to enjoy the sound of overlapping waves on the shores of Sunset Beach. A pampering session at CHI, The Spa rounds off the day. With treatments based on traditional Asian healing philosophies, you lose yourself in an enchanted and indulgent journey, all on the resort’s private spa island.For every experience here, you are surrounded by natural beauty. And it all begins at Shangri-La’s Tanjung Aru Resort and Spa, Kota Kinabalu ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Shangri-La Hotels and Resorts, Expedia, Agoda, Hotwire, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Shangri-La's Tanjung Aru Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Shangri-La`s Tanjung Aru Hotel Kota Kinabalu
- Shangri-La`s Tanjung Aru Resort And Spa
- Shangri Las Tanjung Aru Resort
- Shangri Las Tanjung Aru Hotel
- Shangri La Kota Kinabalu
- Shangri-La's Tanjung Aru Resort & Spa Kota Kinabalu, Sabah