“Christmastime at Shangri - La”

Shangri-La's Tanjung Aru Resort & Spa
Ranked #5 of 92 Hotels in Kota Kinabalu
Reviewed April 3, 2006

Well, I've FINALLY got around to writing my review of the Shangri-La Hotel at Kota Kinabalu, SABAH.
What Can One Say?????????? It was absolutly fantastic. I am always eageer to read/hear about other people's experiences and hope that my account of this holiday encourages another person to visit.
I'll start with the hotel. BEST One We've EVER stayed in. Being seasoned travellers since 1978 we have visited many places. I just cannot give enough praise for everything about the Shangri-La.I wish I'd had my granddaughter with me as the pools for the children and the play stuff was fantastic. Not that there were many kids there at all.They had a girl who ran the kids club and dactivities with them. We were there for 8 days 29th Nov -6 Dec 05. The service, food, rooms EVERYTHING was top-Notch. Even down to the waiters bringing you ice cold flannels to wash you face in the heat of the day.However, should you wish for a bottle of wine with your meal, then be prepared to fork out around £30 - yes. For our eveing meal we visited the Waterfront by Taxi from outside the hotel. Quite a few really good restaurants down there. All slightly different. Toscani's was great. Wine £10.50. We did Tapas there. Ordered a portion of Bruschetta when we arrived, then as each item turned up we orderd another choice and shared each one & so on. Hmmmm. There was also an excellent coffe shop at the Waterfront there where we went for our after dinner drink. Out visit to Sepilok to see the Orang Utan sanctuary was definately worth the visit. I can't remember off the cuff ( I can tell you if you need to know)how much it was but we went with an agent at the hotel and felt we had good value for money. It's only a short plane ride away. however, I would not do the Sepilok Town trip, as there's nothing to see. Save your money and go back to the hotel. They ran cookery demonstrations, again excellent. Palm Leaf Origami,(see my pictures) napkin Folding,Loadsa stuff! You shouldn't get bored anyway.
The breakfast and evening meal were buffet and some of the best, if not THE BEST we've ever seen. Cost £10 each for both meals. However, althought it was great, and I AM glad we ate there even if it was just the once, we prefer to go downtown. Make sure you leave enough room in your suitcase for bringing stuff back. I bought lovely beach dress for £2. Shoue £4
ONE little snip (and I know it sounds pathetic) was sewing needles.They cost around 15pence for packet you'd pay £1.25 in Sainsbury. Also there's lots of old fashioned household items.
My husband like Santa's Helpers (again, see my photos) and you'll see why.
Just go there! and enjoy yourself.

Visit my online album at
if the link doesn't work type in

http:// photos.wanadoo.co.uk /album /2319866
(omit all the spaces)

18  Thank magzelliott48

Reviewed March 5, 2006

Stayed in three different resorts in Sabah, Borneo and felt that this was marginally the best. Were in the Kota Kinabalu wing which is the cheaper one but as we were half board cannot think what extras we would have had in Tanjung wing. Really liked the white cotton mat at bedside with the slippers, felt this was the world of luxury. Were lucky with our room as on the top corner with views over KK and the distant hills. Had a little sunbird which sat on the little balcony plant quite often when we were relaxing there. As booked through a package cannot really comment on staff but were disappointed with the restaurant ones. Sometimes we were not given water automatically for dinner and it certainly was very rarely topped up, on our last morning we did not even receive coffee for breakfast until we asked for it. There did not seem to be a consistency with signing the chitties for meal, depended who was on duty. Having said that the food was wonderful, especially the chocolate souffle at dinner. Plenty of choice for meals both meat, fish and vegs. Nice resort for walking around, sea or pools for swimming in always plenty of room for lounging around without being crowded. Tanjung Aru town within walking distance so nice for a little stroll. If the restaurant staff got themselves a bit better organised then could not fault the hotel

13  Thank margaretc
Reviewed March 4, 2006

Stayed here for a week at the end of February and found it to be excellent quality.Only drawback for us that February is the time of the year when there are a lot of Company functions so about 300 of the rooms were occupied by business personel and lots of people wandering around in corporate dress with clip boards.We visited the Rasa Ria which was our first choice ( to see the Orang Utan sanctuary) and soon came to the conclusion that we were at the better hotel as the Rasa Ria was short on sun beds and a long way from anything else.The hotel food was excellent, but an alternative was the 4 Ringit return hotel shuttle to Kota Kinabalu where we were able to try out the cheap delicious street food.We stayed in the refurbished Tanjung Wing and the rooms are very, very nice with top class service.There are plenty of sun beds and umbrellas for everyone.It is definately a place that is " moreish" but there are so many other places in the world to visit alas.

11  Thank 11,057
A TripAdvisor Member
Cornwall, UK
Reviewed February 18, 2006

We have just returned from 2 weeks in Tanjung Aru, staying in the Tanjung wing de luxe room (even had a ceiling fan on the balcony) and joined the Horizon Club which provided free waiter service breakfast and "Happy hour" or indeed very happy hour as all drinks and delicious canapes were free between 5 - 7 p.m.
We could not fault the hotel in any way - the only problem was that there is so much to see in Sabah on trips etc that we never really got round to exploring the adjacent islands nor indeed doing much lounging about at the hotel. We give the hotel full marks for providing sun shades over the childrens swimming pools - a lesson many hotels could learn.

Try it for as near a perfect holiday as you can get

19  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed February 9, 2006

I had booked 10 days at teh sister Rasa Ria Shangri-La, and bevcame unhappy with access to activities and the variety of food. Because I had booked through the Shangri-La web site, they quickly accomodated my request to move from the Rasa Ris Shangri-La to the Tanjung Aru.

Despite the fact that it is closer to town, it is in fact a lot easier to arrange activities from the Tanjung Aru Shangri-La, in part because most boat trips depart from docks in town.

The food was fantastic, service was great---thanks so very much.

• Stayed: June 2005
21  Thank traveler6189
Reviewed February 4, 2006

Not too far from main centre of town. Walking distance to many eating places. Friendly check in staff. Breakfast was quite nice - no complaints.

• Stayed: January 2006
5  Thank Love_Life_Sydney
Reviewed January 29, 2006

Just returned from our Far East trip and KK was the highlight. STAR is just fabolous, best hotel I have ever stayed in. Check in was swift at the Golden Circle desk (advantage of being a member) Got upgraded to a Suite. Was told that this is the biggest room they have. I am not revealing the room number. (Want to go back there again)

I got the package with breakfast and dinner included. Check out on Shangri-La website the best rates for different packages before booking. Food is amazing, breakfast and dinner buffets have an excellent variety. I would certainly recommend anyone to take the dinner offer, unless you want to eat at the hawkers place.

THe facilites are great too. Pool is adequate, there is a play room for kids. Have a 1 year old, so guess where I had to spent majority of my time.

I would recommend this resort to everyone. Its the best resort I have been to.

• Stayed: January 2006
18  Thank kea13
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kota Kinabalu
Sutera Harbour Resort (The Pacific Sutera & The Magellan Sutera)
Le Meridien Kota Kinabalu
Shangri-La’s Rasa Ria Resort & Spa
Hilton Kota Kinabalu
Hilton Kota Kinabalu
#4 of 92 in Kota Kinabalu

Been to Shangri-La's Tanjung Aru Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!