Well, I've FINALLY got around to writing my review of the Shangri-La Hotel at Kota Kinabalu, SABAH.
What Can One Say?????????? It was absolutly fantastic. I am always eageer to read/hear about other people's experiences and hope that my account of this holiday encourages another person to visit.
I'll start with the hotel. BEST One We've EVER stayed in. Being seasoned travellers since 1978 we have visited many places. I just cannot give enough praise for everything about the Shangri-La.I wish I'd had my granddaughter with me as the pools for the children and the play stuff was fantastic. Not that there were many kids there at all.They had a girl who ran the kids club and dactivities with them. We were there for 8 days 29th Nov -6 Dec 05. The service, food, rooms EVERYTHING was top-Notch. Even down to the waiters bringing you ice cold flannels to wash you face in the heat of the day.However, should you wish for a bottle of wine with your meal, then be prepared to fork out around £30 - yes. For our eveing meal we visited the Waterfront by Taxi from outside the hotel. Quite a few really good restaurants down there. All slightly different. Toscani's was great. Wine £10.50. We did Tapas there. Ordered a portion of Bruschetta when we arrived, then as each item turned up we orderd another choice and shared each one & so on. Hmmmm. There was also an excellent coffe shop at the Waterfront there where we went for our after dinner drink. Out visit to Sepilok to see the Orang Utan sanctuary was definately worth the visit. I can't remember off the cuff ( I can tell you if you need to know)how much it was but we went with an agent at the hotel and felt we had good value for money. It's only a short plane ride away. however, I would not do the Sepilok Town trip, as there's nothing to see. Save your money and go back to the hotel. They ran cookery demonstrations, again excellent. Palm Leaf Origami,(see my pictures) napkin Folding,Loadsa stuff! You shouldn't get bored anyway.
The breakfast and evening meal were buffet and some of the best, if not THE BEST we've ever seen. Cost £10 each for both meals. However, althought it was great, and I AM glad we ate there even if it was just the once, we prefer to go downtown. Make sure you leave enough room in your suitcase for bringing stuff back. I bought lovely beach dress for £2. Shoue £4
ONE little snip (and I know it sounds pathetic) was sewing needles.They cost around 15pence for packet you'd pay £1.25 in Sainsbury. Also there's lots of old fashioned household items.
My husband like Santa's Helpers (again, see my photos) and you'll see why.
Just go there! and enjoy yourself.
Visit my online album at
if the link doesn't work type in
http:// photos.wanadoo.co.uk /album /2319866
(omit all the spaces)
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A paradise for the senses surrounded by natural beautyA gentle breeze caresses your face as you wake to the sound of waves lapping the beach. The balcony opens up to an inspiring vista of sparkling coral islands and swaying of palm trees. Tunku Abdul Rahman Park, bordered by crystal clear waters and lush vegetation Sophistication surrounds you in a lavishly decorated suite inspired by Borneo’s rich cultural heritage. Shangri-La’s Tanjung Aru Resort and Spa, Kota Kinabalu, is a perfect tropical getaway, a luxurious tranquil retreat just a short drive from the city.Yet, excitement beckons as you set out to discover all Kota Kinabalu’s delights. Making your way to Kinabalu National Park, you are thrust into a jungle paradise of natural wonders, rugged landscapes and scenic beauty. From the Rafflesia, the largest flower in the world, to the famous Orangutans in their natural habitat, it only gets more breathtaking every step of the way.The afternoon is spent exploring the picturesque town of Kota Belud. As Sabah’s largest and most popular open market, you find gems of all sorts, ranging from handmade handicrafts to mouth-watering local delights like natural honey.Back at the resort, you look forward to a sunset cruise, which departs from STAR Marina, to catch Borneo's famous sunset. Not long after, you wind down at Coco-Joe’s Bar & Grill. Lounging atop one of the beach-dining platforms, over cocktails and a delectable seafood tower, you continue to enjoy the sound of overlapping waves on the shores of Sunset Beach. A pampering session at CHI, The Spa rounds off the day. With treatments based on traditional Asian healing philosophies, you lose yourself in an enchanted and indulgent journey, all on the resort’s private spa island.For every experience here, you are surrounded by natural beauty. And it all begins at Shangri-La’s Tanjung Aru Resort and Spa, Kota Kinabalu ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Agoda, Booking.com, Splitty, Ctrip TA, Hotels.com, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, Orbitz, Cancelon, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly, getaroom.com and Cheap Tickets so you can book your Shangri-La's Tanjung Aru Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Shangri-La`s Tanjung Aru Resort And Spa
- Shangri-La`s Tanjung Aru Hotel Kota Kinabalu
- Shangri Las Tanjung Aru Resort
- Shangri Las Tanjung Aru Hotel
- Shangri La Kota Kinabalu
- Shangri-La's Tanjung Aru Resort & Spa Kota Kinabalu, Sabah