4,048 results
All reviewskinabalu wingsunset barkinabalu clubcafe tatucoco joeschi spastar marinawater slidesborneo loungehorizon clubsister hotelpitch and puttkids clubinfinity poolclub roomlife guardsour honeymoon
Reviewed July 20, 2009

Very comfortable and relaxing place provided. I love the CHI SPA inside the hotel, also beach and pier which is very convenient to travel to islands, love the swimming pool too. Nice Italian restaurants and hotel enviornment.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank fishpk
philipdewar, Resident Manager at Shangri-La's Tanjung Aru Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2009

Thank you for staying with us recently and for taking the time to share your kind feedback.

We are all thrilled that you enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed July 17, 2009

We have stayed at numerous resorts throughout asia including several other resorts run by the Shangri-La group and I have to say that the Shangri-La Tanjung Aru was the most disappointing.

The rooms however, are immaculate and we loved them. The beds, the bathrooms, the free internet access, plenty of storage space and the general ambience....excellent.

The pool area is however rather small considering the number of rooms the hotel has. The biggest surprise was the 'beach'......it is only a fraction of the size that I thought it would be. Clearly the photos on the internet of the beach have been done to make the beach look better. Even the resort's own hotel plan/map makes out that the beach is about the three of four times the size it really is. Very disappointing.

The Cafe Tatu, the main buffet restaurant has some good food and also some that was woeful. Likewise the staff, some are excellent and go out to please, others interrupt you when eating to make sure that they see you sign the bill, and are grumpy. No pork, no bacon and no ham.....but there's alcohol if you want it.

The Italian restaurant upstairs we had hoped would be similar to the one at the Shangri-La Mactan Island...sadly it wasn't. Not a single pizza on the menu. When you have kids, that's something important ! Instead it appeared pretentious and overly expensive.

Most resorts we have been to had areas where guests could leave books when they left. Not this one. Even the resort shop didn't have a single book/novel for sale. Why not??

The resort has a pitch and putt golf course, or so it claims. Rather, it is a long putting course! It is tiny compared to the pitch and putt course at their sister resort in Cebu, Philippines/

Overall, we thought the resort was immaculately clean and the rooms beautiful, however it simply wasn't value for money. We certainly wouldn't bother going back as there are far betterplaces elsewhere. Even their sister resort in Sabah, the Shangri-La Rasa Ria is far better value.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank HKPiper
philipdewar, Resident Manager at Shangri-La's Tanjung Aru Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded July 28, 2009

Thank you for staying with us recently and for taking the time to give your valuable feedback.

I sincerely apologize that we did not meet your expectations at Cafe Tatu and Peppino. Rest assured I am working with the team to address the issues you raised. We do position Peppino's as more of an adult dining outlet which is less casual than our other outlets, where Pizza is available.

Our pool and beach area are under review and your points are well taken in this area.

We do have books available in our hotel shop, so I am looking into making them more prominent and increasing the selection based on your experience.

Thanks again for your valuable feedback and best wishes from us all.

Reviewed July 17, 2009

Stayed for 9 nights, loved the spa and club lounge, found the restaurants disappointing, but there are many alternatives in KK. Great service especially in club lounge and around the pool, would have liked a table tennis table in pool area.

Only slight hiccup was at check out when we were charged for a room change we had never had.

• Stayed: July 2009
philipdewar, Resident Manager at Shangri-La's Tanjung Aru Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded July 24, 2009

Thank you for staying with us recently and for sharing your feedback.

While I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay, I note and apologize for the billing issue and am concerned that we did not meet your expectations at our restaurants. Rest assured we are constantly striving for improvement.

I note also your comment to have a table tennis table in pool area which I will be reviewing with the team.

I trust we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed July 17, 2009

I'll start by saying that this is one of the best resorts we have stayed at and we couldn't fault it as far as quality of rooms, the service of the staff and the location is concerned. I would agree with a few of the other comments that the pools are small for the size of the resort and probably an adults only pool could be created at the front of the Kinabalu wing. The biggest disapointment I have with this great resort is the blatent overcharge for food and drinks. We had a fairly average meal at Cocoa Joe's and it came to over 600MYR, which was easy when a steak served with some mash and veg costs over 100 MYR. A can of diet coke by the pool will set you back 12MYR ( local supermarket has them at 1.38MYR ) . A basic beef burger is over 50MYR....and remember when you are looking at the menu prices,...there is another 15% to go on top . in summary I would advise visitors to come and enjoy this resort, BUT, buy in your own drinks and just along the road at The Mediteranean Beach Restaurant you will find top quality dining and food at half the price of the Shangri La ( Our meal, which was better quality came to only 300MYR ) . Having stayed at quite a few 5 star resorts, I think the hotel is well over priced with regards to food and I think the management should be aware that quite a few of the on line comments have reflected this.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank colcom62

Thank you for staying with us recently and sharing your feedback.

While I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay, I note your comments about some of our pricing. You will be pleased to note that we have just completed a complete review of our menus and have will be introducing some value items in our busy outlets to run alongside the other promotional offerings which run on an ongoing basis.

We are studying the addition of an "adult-centric" swimming pool and expect we will be finalizing it towards the end of this year, so please do let us know when you are coming back and we will keep you updated on progress with this project.

Thanks again for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed July 15, 2009

There were many aspects of our stay at the Shangri-La Resort which really made it quite special. We were greeted immediately upon our arrival from one of the staff who gave us complimentary drinks as she went through our particulars. We had arrived on our honeymoon so were upgraded to a seaview room and were lucky enough to be placed on the top (7th) floor.

The room was spacious and clean with a breathtaking view. Our bed had been wonderfully decorated with rose petals in the shape of a love-heart and a congratulatory cake had been left for us to enjoy.

The staff were fantastic all over the Resort with a friendly smile and eagerness to help.

The Fitness Centre was one of the best I have seen and it even included a Smith Machine - ( A machine which utlises a bar with free weights but the bar runs on a track which has safety hooks for bench press/squats)

The only downside to the Resort was the pricing which is to be expected in a 5 Star Resort. Food and Services e.g. Massages are extremely overpriced. However this can be overcome by dining in the city (15RM one way). To be honest discovering cheaper options was part of the fun.

All in all a wonderful stay that surpassed expectations and will definitely be visiting again in the future.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple

Thank you for staying with us recently and sharing your feedback.

Thanks again for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.