Although it was a very busy resort, it was still relaxing and a great place to stay with children. Our daughter (21 months) loved all the pools and the watersides, and there were plenty of restaurants to choose from when we didn't go out into KK for a meal. The buffet options were great…there was so much variety, especially for a fussy eater (her) and a vegetarian (me). Breakfast could be busy, but it was all handled very efficiently so it was never a problem, and a high chair was always available. There were four restaurants (the main one, an italian one, a grill and bar, and a chinese one) as well as an ice cream station! And also another bar by the beach. The prices were more expensive than town, but not too overpriced for a nice resort.
The spa was lovely, and I tried the free yoga which was very relaxing. There were a number of free activities on each day, for adults and in the children's club. The resort staff were very helpful and friendly, and no request was too small.
The grounds were beautiful, with fish filled ponds, a board walk, a cute little beach (that was never crowded because most people hung out by the pools), and lots of large grassy areas, even with some soccer nets, that our daughter loved running around on. I saw someone complaining on trip advisor about the beach, but I don't really know what they expect as it is a carbonate system with reef just offshore, so naturally corel is going to wash up onshore. The staff keep the beach very clean, and we never had any problems with cuts from broken corel or sharp stones etc. In fact, we had great fun building sandcastles on the shoreline.
Even though the resort was quite spread out, the distance from one end to the other isn't that large, and our 'small' room was a great size - the bathroom was big enough to set up our portable cot so we could 'lock' the toddler away for her nap while we read/watched tv in the main room.
For my husband's birthday he had a lovely surprise of 'HAPPY BIRTHDAY' written in rose petals on the bed, and that evening they bought up a birthday cake for him, so lovely!
We definitely enjoyed our time here, and I highly recommend it if you have children (or even if you don't!)
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A paradise for the senses surrounded by natural beautyA gentle breeze caresses your face as you wake to the sound of waves lapping the beach. The balcony opens up to an inspiring vista of sparkling coral islands and swaying of palm trees. Tunku Abdul Rahman Park, bordered by crystal clear waters and lush vegetation Sophistication surrounds you in a lavishly decorated suite inspired by Borneo’s rich cultural heritage. Shangri-La’s Tanjung Aru Resort and Spa, Kota Kinabalu, is a perfect tropical getaway, a luxurious tranquil retreat just a short drive from the city.Yet, excitement beckons as you set out to discover all Kota Kinabalu’s delights. Making your way to Kinabalu National Park, you are thrust into a jungle paradise of natural wonders, rugged landscapes and scenic beauty. From the Rafflesia, the largest flower in the world, to the famous Orangutans in their natural habitat, it only gets more breathtaking every step of the way.The afternoon is spent exploring the picturesque town of Kota Belud. As Sabah’s largest and most popular open market, you find gems of all sorts, ranging from handmade handicrafts to mouth-watering local delights like natural honey.Back at the resort, you look forward to a sunset cruise, which departs from STAR Marina, to catch Borneo's famous sunset. Not long after, you wind down at Coco-Joe’s Bar & Grill. Lounging atop one of the beach-dining platforms, over cocktails and a delectable seafood tower, you continue to enjoy the sound of overlapping waves on the shores of Sunset Beach. A pampering session at CHI, The Spa rounds off the day. With treatments based on traditional Asian healing philosophies, you lose yourself in an enchanted and indulgent journey, all on the resort’s private spa island.For every experience here, you are surrounded by natural beauty. And it all begins at Shangri-La’s Tanjung Aru Resort and Spa, Kota Kinabalu ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Agoda, Ctrip TA, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Travelocity, Cancelon, Hotwire, Orbitz, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly, TripOnline SA and Cheap Tickets so you can book your Shangri-La's Tanjung Aru Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Shangri-La`s Tanjung Aru Resort And Spa
- Shangri-La`s Tanjung Aru Hotel Kota Kinabalu
- Shangri Las Tanjung Aru Resort
- Shangri Las Tanjung Aru Hotel
- Shangri La Kota Kinabalu
- Shangri-La's Tanjung Aru Resort & Spa Kota Kinabalu, Sabah