4,048 results
All reviewskinabalu wingsunset barkinabalu clubcafe tatucoco joeschi spastar marinawater slidesborneo loungehorizon clubsister hotelpitch and puttkids clubinfinity poolclub roomlife guardsour honeymoon
Reviewed June 27, 2014

Stayed in the Tanjung Wing Exec Seaview Suite which was fantastic. Great views over the gardens and sea - perfect for the sunset. Not too impressed by the resort "beach" nor the one outside - so poolside it was. Pity about guests "booking" pool loungers with towels and arriving at lunchtime to relax. Staff should be stricter about this as limited space around pool for volume of guests. Disappointed with food. My Decker sandwich at Coco Joe's was sent back by waiter as not presentable and then I returned the second attempt - poor quality for a simple dish. Beef rendang on room service menu was absolutely tasteless and for meat that was supposedly slow cooked and tender, and given a spoon & fork - why did I need to use my husbands knife to get through the meat? The winning dishes of my trip were from the pool bar - western sliders & chicken satays. Had access to Club Lounge which was average - wish there was more consistency across the hotel group for this facility. Breakfast buffet was ok, insufficient variety and larger space required. Water pressure issues in our room & only on 3rd request was it resolved - received apology. Check out took 15 mins and staff member couldn't answer any questions on why we didn't receive bill to review - could have used Express option. Overall a good getaway, but considering price paid - I expected more.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank TravellingNovos
Reviewed June 26, 2014

The only reason for not getting a full score would be the beach. I wasn't too impressed by the man made beach. Everything else at this resort was fantastic. We had a great time. The kids loved the swimming pool and the water slides. Food was also very good and the buffet had everything you want.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank GZilla24
Reviewed June 25, 2014

Luckily stayed here for two nights at the end of our 10 days in Sabah, because it was definitely the highlight, accommodation wise. I cannot speak highly enough of the place. Wonderful staff who could not be more accommodating with any request. Nothing was too much trouble. We did go to the expense of a club room and I'm pleased to say it was worth every cent. The free drinks and plentiful finger food was actually enough to substitute for dinner. Would not have liked to have breakfast at Tatu, the only other breakfast venue in site (other than room service) - although the range of food choices was amazing, it was very busy. I think they need another cafe on the grounds to spread out the volume of guests. The sunset bar was fabulous but a tad expensive e.g. 26myr++ for cocktails. Still you get what you pay for and we definitely loved our time in this idyllic location and felt thoroughly spoilt. Hard to beat.

Room Tip: Club Seaview if you can splurge. Club mountain view also view over car park.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Lea F
Reviewed June 25, 2014

Overall experience was acceptable.

1) Room was ready when we check in. Spare bed was uncomfortable to sleep in as you can feel the spring. Stay in Kinabalu sea view and managed to catch the beautiful sunset.

2) Meals
Morning breakfast was a busy one, I am prepared as I read other reviews. The variety are the same throughout our stay for 4 nights.
We ate at twice Shang Palace the food was delicious. The varieties at other restaurant was minimal so we didn't step in.
We order once room service ... food was alright.

2) Lobby lounge.
Had a cocktail at lobby lounge one of the night and it was bad, tasteless.
Most probably was unlucky that night to have a lousy bar tender.

2) Kids Facilities.
Resort is very family oriented. Tatu restaurant has special kids corner with plastic utensils and a kiddy play area.
Cool Zone has fixed timetable to follow which my boys don't like.
Water play's ground mat was damaged and not replaced.

3) Beach.
It was full of stones, rocks and dead corals which cut my son's feet.
Not many ppl use it as you can see why.

My conclusion is always read reviews that more or less you are mentally prepare for it.

Room Tip: Away from lifts if you wish to have quieter corridor but it also means you need to walk further. Kinabalu seaview to catch beautiful sunset.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed June 25, 2014 via mobile

I am writing this review to express my utmost gratitude to Mr Hakim, the duty manager at the tanjung aru resort, as his actions with my family portrayed extreme thoughtfulness and care. What happened to us is that my 2 boys came down with a bad cold / flu on the last day of our visit to the resort. I called the guest services to inquire about hospitals / doctors in kota Kinabalu. To my surprise , I found mr hakim calling us back in the room after 5 minutes letting us know that he has arranged for an appointment for our kids at the local clinic and that he will provide us with a private car to take us there , wait for us and bring us back. Not only so, he also went to extra lengths to make my kids comfortable by providing us with complimentary fruits , drinks , rice pudding and other foods to make them feel better. I really appreciate what he has personally done for us to comfort us during this difficult time. A big thank you !

Stayed: June 2014
Shangrila_TAH, General Manager at Shangri-La's Tanjung Aru Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded July 9, 2014

Dear Amira E, thank you so much for your wonderful comment on our Duty Manager, Hakim. The welfare of our staff and guests have always remained our highest priority and I will personally ensure Hakim receives your message. I am sure it will make his day! Thank you and please visit us again soon.