4,049 results
All reviewskinabalu wingsunset barkinabalu clubcafe tatucoco joeschi spastar marinawater slidesborneo loungehorizon clubsister hotelpitch and puttkids clubinfinity poolclub roomlife guardsour honeymoon
Reviewed June 23, 2014

My wife and I have relations in Kota Kinabalu, they booked us into the best hotel they new of, for a 7 night stay.
Our ocean view room was hot, we were moved to another, never got below 25 degrees.
Got a pedestal fan , life was bearable.
Staff were helpful, place was clean, except nearby beaches, I wouldn't go in the sea unless skin sores, you seek.
Over priced for an old hotel , foyer, bar and lounge area unbearably hot, food just OK.
Sorry to be negative but, it ain't as good as promoted.

Room Tip: Lower floor suite, facing golf course maybe best option, away from noise and good veiw. Downside maybe functions on the lawns outside. Price will be high, much more than 5 star in Queensland
1  Thank Neil J
Shangrila_TAH, General Manager at Shangri-La's Tanjung Aru Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded July 9, 2014

Dear Neil J, I am truly sorry to hear of your poor stay experience with us. As a resort located beside the South China Sea, I'm afraid the tropical humidity in Borneo can be an unpleasant and uncomfortable experience for some travelers. I hope you still managed to enjoy your stay with us and we look forward to having you stay with us again in the future.

Reviewed June 23, 2014

This hotel is probably one of the nicest property in KK. Good location, good facilities. Breakfast was food, CHI spa was excellent. But the service did not meet our expectation at all. At check-in, the process was so long. Worse still, there was no proper queue and we arrived second in line and they kept "inviting" people who arrived later than us to go to other counters to check-in and we ended up waiting till everyone was taken off then we got checked in. Not to say we were their only Golden Circle member in the entire queue. Check-out was faster but they said the bill will be emailed to me and up till now, I still did not receive the email. I sent email query to hotel and got no reply. Sorry, the service aspect is definitely not Shangri-la standard.

Room Tip: Ocean view room is great!
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends

Dear Sheepo, thank you for your feedback. Please accept our sincerest apologies for your disappointing check in experience. As a member of our Golden Circle Club we value your patronage and I have personally ensured your comment is related to the department concerned for their investigation and improvement. Once again, thank you for writing to us and hope you will give us the opportunity to be your hosts in the near future.

Reviewed June 23, 2014

excellent hotel for family and couple
clean and staff very oblige and helful

We stayed at this hotel 4 time and every one where beautiful. hotel not far from town and the food was excellent . children water park was so nice even we had no children we where amuse to see what the hotel did for family

Review collected in partnership with shangri-la.com
Reviewed June 23, 2014

Having just left KL after 3 days of shopping. I was looking forward to a rest and got it. As soon as I arrived the people was very helpful and friendly. The breakfast was plenty but it was very busy so get there by 9. We went out to eat there is only the horker where to locals eat very cheap and a eye opener. We went to KK by taxi 30ringits each way. The only thing that the hotel should do is having a bus from the hotel into KK. Overall all a good hotel to have a rest.

Room Tip: If you have not got children get a room away from the children pool.
Reviewed June 23, 2014

Excellent hotel in a spectacular location. The facilities, particularly the infinity pool with separate sections for adults and children was great. Although my kids are now grown up, the screams and laughter coming from the children's pool and it's assorted flumes, buckets etc certainly seemed to be fitting the bill. Beach areas and bars were all spotless with a good range of food and beverages. All of the staff, without exception were incredibly polite, friendly and efficient. It is very expensive but you definitely get what you pay for.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends