4,078 results
All reviews kinabalu wing sunset bar kinabalu club cafe tatu coco joes chi spa star marina water slides borneo lounge horizon club sister hotel pitch and putt kids club infinity pool club room life guards our honeymoon
Reviewed June 23, 2014

Excellent hotel in a spectacular location. The facilities, particularly the infinity pool with separate sections for adults and children was great. Although my kids are now grown up, the screams and laughter coming from the children's pool and it's assorted flumes, buckets etc certainly seemed to be fitting the bill. Beach areas and bars were all spotless with a good range of food and beverages. All of the staff, without exception were incredibly polite, friendly and efficient. It is very expensive but you definitely get what you pay for.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 23, 2014

Wonderful, we had two kids (10&12) so adjoining rooms perfect. Loved the pool + kids club. Cafes/restaurants great quality, variety and v.fair pricing. Staff are simply superb. Family from SA,Australia

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed June 22, 2014

Stayed 3 nights in the resort with my family of 5 and we booked 2 Club rooms. The facilities in the resort is fantastic! Both my kids love the slides and pool! Not to say the awesome Cool Zone aka kids club. The slides wise even adults will enjoy them too! I definitely enjoyed the slides. There is an small adult section in the deep end of pool. Thus if the adults want some peace and quiet, you can venture to this section.

The rooms are nicely furnished but my hubby found the mattress to be abit too hard for his liking. He ended up backaches every morning. Also one of the rooms had a non working night light. Else everything is fine. The breakfast spread is good. There's even a kid's corner just for the kids. If you book a Club room, you can have your breakfast in the Club Lounge. The breakfast in the Club Lounge has fewer options but there's a fixed menu of food you can choose from. The only problem I had during my stay is the preferential treatment shown to the Caucasian guests. It seems to be that if you are a Caucasian, the staff there will treat you much better and be more attentive towards you. This is more obvious in the Club Lounge.

The Chi spa there is good experience. I won't say the price is cheap but a trip to the spa is always an agenda for my hubby and me when we go for a beach vacation. At least for the price paid, it's worth it.

Food wise, do drop by Shang Palace. It serves good and yummy Chinese dish. Won't be cheap though but It's definitely worth a visit. Try the Salted Egg Prawn.

All in all, the facilities in the resort makes this trip a good trip for the family. Also it's very near to the airport! Service wise, I've seen better service from other Shang properties. Needs to improve on the service attitude.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed June 22, 2014 via mobile

Just returned from a stay with my 3 kids and 2 nannys at the Kinabalu Club sea view rooms.

At the airport we found the hospitality suite and got a hotel car. More expensive then the regular taxi but worth it as there were 6 of us! In future I will email in advance to get this service.

Very happy with the Club lounge food for breakfast and evening nibbles. Breakfast in the club lounge as actually more than adequate and I thought if a better quality than the breakfast in the downstairs cafe . Of course my children wanted to eat in the downstate cafe because it had a kids Mimi buffet, children's soft play area and a different mascot everyday!

As for the evening club lounge offering, Children were only allowed between 430-630 and thereafter adults only for a replenished and sophisticated spread.

I must say, the quality of the food in the club lounge was excellent. Worth every penny. I've been to many club lounges and I would say this is one of the best quality I've had. The view from the club lounge was also beautiful. So after a "hard" day of relaxing by the pool, you can go and relax even further in the lounge!

The attendants at the lounge were very accommodating to my children, which I really appreciated. My 3 year old demanded some breakfast cereal at tea time, which they happily obliged !

As for the rest of the resort - the pool had this really nice floor which sparkled in the sunshine. None slippery so very good for children. I noticed that the water was very clean . I asked the pool attendants and they said the pool was cleaned everyday. And it shows!

There as attention to detail in the landscaping all over the resort.

Very happy with the stunning views and comfort level of the bed and rooms.thought for club room prices, the hotel could have more luxurious shampoo and bathgel. But these are little details really.

The water slides and children's swim area was also very fun for the children . Three different children's slides and a toddler slide with a dedicated attendant to make sure everyone gets down safely. Was also pleased there was a dedicated "adults only" section of the pool. Liked the water falls and the infinity edge effect along the shore line.Very relaxing!

During the height of the midday sun, I brought the kids to the kids club "cool zone" for some fun activities and interaction with other guest/kids. Every Friday they also organize a kids party, numbers permitting. So really thoughtful facilities for children and parents alike.

The reason I rated this resort so highly is because the whole
Ambiance- food, surroundings, pool area , service is something that A lot of resorts try to do , but don't get it quite as right as this.

The only thing that I was abit dissapointed in - the waterproof rubber floor near the water slides had worn away abit and you could see the concrete in patches. But I'm sure the shangrila can sort this out easily, and I hope they do before my next visit which won't be too far away!

• Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank jazzmmatazz
Reviewed June 22, 2014 via mobile

We had a lovely stay here in Tanjung aru, we travelled here for our honeymoon having already stayed earlier in our trip in the shangri la in kl which was incredible! Our initial impression of the hotel was very underwhelming and checkin was very flawed. Staff were rude, tried telling us we didn't have breakfast despite us having already paid for it, did not show us to our room and left us for 20 mins wandering around trying to find it. The room itself was quite tired and the aircon very weak. Thankfully it gets better from here. After complaining we moved rooms. We had a lovely sea view ( wish they had offered us this in the first place because at that point we would have paid for it and they would have made themselves some money) it's general order was much better and cleaner than the first room but I still felt the rooms were a little tired. Breakfast was good but could get very busy at times. And food in the other resturaunts was good. We did feel that it was very good value for money too. Service could be a little hit and miss, sometimes you could be virtually ignored and have to make your presence known but other times and certain members of staff were faultless, their was just no consistency. The pool was great, we would chose to sit by the adults section I was pleased that pool rules were Inforced by the lifeguards and this section really was adults only. Lovely and quiet! The beach is just as the pictures showed! Small but perfectly formed, not great for swimming in the sea because the sand was vey sludgy but lovely none the less. We used the star marina and hired a jet ski, loads of fun on the rough South China Sea and great value for money! Would also highly recommend using them to get the boats to visit the nearby islands. We went to mamutik and sapi, again great value and lovely snorkling, staff here were incredibly helpful!
Food outside the hotel was minimal, we went into Kota Kinabalu on Saturday evening for the night market but was far smaller than expected.
There were no real restaurants within walking distance of the hotel, we didn't feel this was a problem because we felt the hotel restaurants we great value for money. The Chinese was incredibly cheap and the Italian was slightly more expensive but wonderful food. All in all we did have a wonderful stay here and thoroughly enjoyed the holiday.

• Stayed: June 2014