4,049 results
All reviewskinabalu wingsunset barkinabalu clubcafe tatucoco joeschi spastar marinawater slidesborneo loungehorizon clubsister hotelpitch and puttkids clubinfinity poolclub roomlife guardsour honeymoon
Reviewed June 22, 2014 via mobile

Just returned from a stay with my 3 kids and 2 nannys at the Kinabalu Club sea view rooms.

At the airport we found the hospitality suite and got a hotel car. More expensive then the regular taxi but worth it as there were 6 of us! In future I will email in advance to get this service.

Very happy with the Club lounge food for breakfast and evening nibbles. Breakfast in the club lounge as actually more than adequate and I thought if a better quality than the breakfast in the downstairs cafe . Of course my children wanted to eat in the downstate cafe because it had a kids Mimi buffet, children's soft play area and a different mascot everyday!

As for the evening club lounge offering, Children were only allowed between 430-630 and thereafter adults only for a replenished and sophisticated spread.

I must say, the quality of the food in the club lounge was excellent. Worth every penny. I've been to many club lounges and I would say this is one of the best quality I've had. The view from the club lounge was also beautiful. So after a "hard" day of relaxing by the pool, you can go and relax even further in the lounge!

The attendants at the lounge were very accommodating to my children, which I really appreciated. My 3 year old demanded some breakfast cereal at tea time, which they happily obliged !

As for the rest of the resort - the pool had this really nice floor which sparkled in the sunshine. None slippery so very good for children. I noticed that the water was very clean . I asked the pool attendants and they said the pool was cleaned everyday. And it shows!

There as attention to detail in the landscaping all over the resort.

Very happy with the stunning views and comfort level of the bed and rooms.thought for club room prices, the hotel could have more luxurious shampoo and bathgel. But these are little details really.

The water slides and children's swim area was also very fun for the children . Three different children's slides and a toddler slide with a dedicated attendant to make sure everyone gets down safely. Was also pleased there was a dedicated "adults only" section of the pool. Liked the water falls and the infinity edge effect along the shore line.Very relaxing!

During the height of the midday sun, I brought the kids to the kids club "cool zone" for some fun activities and interaction with other guest/kids. Every Friday they also organize a kids party, numbers permitting. So really thoughtful facilities for children and parents alike.

The reason I rated this resort so highly is because the whole
Ambiance- food, surroundings, pool area , service is something that A lot of resorts try to do , but don't get it quite as right as this.

The only thing that I was abit dissapointed in - the waterproof rubber floor near the water slides had worn away abit and you could see the concrete in patches. But I'm sure the shangrila can sort this out easily, and I hope they do before my next visit which won't be too far away!

• Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank jazzmmatazz
Reviewed June 22, 2014 via mobile

We had a lovely stay here in Tanjung aru, we travelled here for our honeymoon having already stayed earlier in our trip in the shangri la in kl which was incredible! Our initial impression of the hotel was very underwhelming and checkin was very flawed. Staff were rude, tried telling us we didn't have breakfast despite us having already paid for it, did not show us to our room and left us for 20 mins wandering around trying to find it. The room itself was quite tired and the aircon very weak. Thankfully it gets better from here. After complaining we moved rooms. We had a lovely sea view ( wish they had offered us this in the first place because at that point we would have paid for it and they would have made themselves some money) it's general order was much better and cleaner than the first room but I still felt the rooms were a little tired. Breakfast was good but could get very busy at times. And food in the other resturaunts was good. We did feel that it was very good value for money too. Service could be a little hit and miss, sometimes you could be virtually ignored and have to make your presence known but other times and certain members of staff were faultless, their was just no consistency. The pool was great, we would chose to sit by the adults section I was pleased that pool rules were Inforced by the lifeguards and this section really was adults only. Lovely and quiet! The beach is just as the pictures showed! Small but perfectly formed, not great for swimming in the sea because the sand was vey sludgy but lovely none the less. We used the star marina and hired a jet ski, loads of fun on the rough South China Sea and great value for money! Would also highly recommend using them to get the boats to visit the nearby islands. We went to mamutik and sapi, again great value and lovely snorkling, staff here were incredibly helpful!
Food outside the hotel was minimal, we went into Kota Kinabalu on Saturday evening for the night market but was far smaller than expected.
There were no real restaurants within walking distance of the hotel, we didn't feel this was a problem because we felt the hotel restaurants we great value for money. The Chinese was incredibly cheap and the Italian was slightly more expensive but wonderful food. All in all we did have a wonderful stay here and thoroughly enjoyed the holiday.

• Stayed: June 2014
Reviewed June 21, 2014 via mobile

My partner and I stayed at the Shangri-La Tanjung Aru for 5 nights, after originally planning yo stay at its sister hotel, the Rasa Ria. We were under the impression tour companies do not do pick-ups from that area, but seems we were wrong. We received a free room upgrade (already seaview), and were not disappointed. Great view, and a large, comfortable, extremely clean room. Hotel staff were very, very helpful (guest relations were happy to complete our online Air Asia check-in for us). As a football fan, it was great to see the hotel showing all games live on the big screen, even at 3am. Would've liked to have seen a free shuttle into the township when a taxi ride is RM30 ($10 or so). Would stay again!

Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ben S
Reviewed June 20, 2014 via mobile

First time here and my two year old definitely love the water park. Staff are truly friendly and the spa is very good too. The only complain is the food, which they really do not make an afford about. I would love to see more local authentic food to be served here. They also have all the restaurants serving same food which is really not up to Shangri la's standard. I am now sitting in the restaurant which they claim to have barbecue at night, but end up to be the same menu as in the afternoon .. I am a golden circle jade member so a bit sad the see a Shangri la that does not live to the chains reputation.

Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank Maxposhy
Reviewed June 20, 2014

Very close to the airport. Taxi cost RM30 from airport counter. less than 10 mins from airport.

Stayed 3 nights at the Kinabalu Wing.

Booked on Expedia, but when we reached the recep, we were offered an upgrade to Club room on the 7th floor for 150RM per night, which we thought was quite worth it cos of club floor privileges.

Room was nice and big, with lots of space and we had an amazing view of the blue sea. Very clean. Bathroom was really roomy too. The balcony was nice, although watch out for mozzies. (Hotel room provides electric mozzie eradicators though, so that was thoughtful)

Club floor is quieter at breakfast, and very pleasant. We had a very pleasant dinner there as well on the last night. Staff is wonderful, very approachable and friendly and always asking us to try different parts of the buffet spread.

Dinner at Tatu's was really impressive at RM95++, we thought it was good value for what you get. It's a bit crowded but I was there for the food. If you have a sweet tooth like me, you'll be really happy with the dessert section. Pink macaroons with choc filling. yum. (amongst other things like the chocolate fountain). Bring a relatively empty stomach. (which is hard to do in this hotel.)

MUST try Dim Sum at the Shang Palace. One of the best I've tried and really good value for money too.

This was a holiday with friends, but seems to be an ideal place for kids. (Many activities for free which I didn't try out)

For a luxurious and relaxing sea experience, try the Raja Laut Sunset Cruise. (ask the Star Marina Staff in advance though.)

Spa is lovely too. If you can afford it, go for it!

All in all, a lovely and relaxing holiday.

Room Tip: Ask for the 7th floor. Stayed at Kinabalu Wing, away from pool area. but all around quite quiet.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends