Shangri-La's Tanjung Aru Resort & Spa
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Seapark Condotel(Kota Kinabalu)
  • Beachfront
Airport View Hotel(Kota Kinabalu)
View Hotel
Megah D'Aru Hotel(Kota Kinabalu)
  • Restaurant
Zara's Boutique Hotel(Kota Kinabalu)
  • Restaurant
The Crown Borneo Hotel(Kota Kinabalu)
Winner Hotel(Kota Kinabalu)
  • Breakfast included
Asiana Hotel(Kota Kinabalu)
View Hotel
TH Hotel Kota Kinabalu(Kota Kinabalu)
View Hotel
KK Times Square Hotel(Kota Kinabalu)
3,929 results
All reviewskinabalu wingsunset barkinabalu clubcafe tatucoco joeschi spastar marinawater slidesborneo loungehorizon clubsister hotelpitch and puttkids clubinfinity poola mountain view roomclub roomlife guards
FilterAll languages
Reviewed June 4, 2014

Given a smoking room (could have but did not object - faint but obvious odour, especially at first) on the back side - quite a walking distance from main lobby, breakfast area; some shorter cuts to beach and up the end (Kinabalu Wing) that houses the MAGNIFICENT Shang House Chinese restaurant (go for the daily dim sum on your first day and you probably will every day!) Also an excellent 'up-market' Italian restaurant 'Peppinos' that offers two good value wine tasting flights - the Old and New World Flights - 4 x 50 mm 'tastes' for a very reasonable price given the quality of the wines offered. This is an older resort but maintained very well and its staff members are a real attraction - VERY friendly and helpful. To a man and woman they invited us back (good training) and several came out to wave us off. We visited the sister Shangri-La Rasa Ria, by transit coach, to see its recovering Orang Utans. We were a little disappointed there are only three at the moment - all young - quite (human) shy - one no show; one left almost immediately it arrived; the last kept his back to us - but that's wild life! Best check before you go if you are hoping for more. There are other alternatives but this is very safe. All good facilities at Tanjung Aru. Other than the Orang Utans we were content to stay in the resort as we were really after some mixed work (wi-fi excellent everywhere) and very restful R & R. This one is very near airport - 30 RMS taxi but heavily taxed for our late arrival from Kuala Lumpur (12.50 am x 45 RM ride). Recommended.

Room Tip: Ensure you have non-smoking and/or ocean view if that's important.
Reviewed June 3, 2014

Stayed recently for two nights. To be fair to the hotel we arrived after an 18 hour journey plus the weather was poor, but unfortunately this hotel did not live up to the expectations created by other positive reviewers. I found the hotel to be more in the 4 star category rather than 5 star, something that other residents agreed with in discussion. The room we had in the Kinabalu wing were comfortable, (great beds) but lacked character and felt tired. it should also be noted that this hotel is close to the airport and consequently does suffer from aircraft noise at all hours, especially if you have a mountain view room! The staff were great!!!

1  Thank Thornpilot
Shangrila_TAH, General Manager at Shangri-La's Tanjung Aru Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded June 10, 2014

Dear Thornpilot, thank you for your comments. I'm sorry to hear that you didn't find our resort up to your expectations. We recently celebrated our 30th anniversary in Kota Kinabalu and are very proud to be the first 5-star hotel in the Sabah to remain true to our Borneo heritage in terms of our traditional ethnic design coupled with our renowned Shangri-La hospitality. That said, thank you for acknowledging our staff for their warmth and welcoming hospitality and I do hope to be able to welcome you to our resort again soon.

Reviewed June 2, 2014

Stays here for 5 nights because of a company conference held on the premises. First night- woke in the middle of the night with itchy red rashes on my face and neck, so I thought it was mosquito bites. Second night, noticed the bites were on my legs, so no longer thinking the cause was mosquitoes, I turned the sheets and found bed bugs!! Smashed one of them(took a picture and shown here), and complained to the staff.

The management got the pest controller in, confirmed the case, checked through my belongings to make sure the bugs didn't get into my stuff, moved me to another room, and sealed off the infested room.
While the staff who helped me to move my things was apologetic and got me some anti-itch cream, there was no formal or written apology from the hotel. No waiver of the charges for those 2 nights. Got the full billing invoice with the usual"Thank you and please provide a review for us on tripadvisor".

Room Tip: Just avoid this place! There is another 5-star resort just up the road.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
5  Thank dfl123

Dear dfl123, thank you so much for your honest feedback. Please accept my sincere apologies for your disappointing stay experience. The comfort of our guests have always been our priority and our guestrooms are periodically fumigated and monitored by our housekeeping team to ensure they remain in pristine condition. I will be personally attending to this matter to ensure it does not reoccur. Once again, thank you for your comments and I hope we will have the opportunity to serve you again in the near future.

Reviewed June 2, 2014

Wow what a great hotel, from the minute you enter the hotel you are made to feel so welcome. The staff are outstanding and and so attentive. The room we had in the Kinabalu wing was spacious clean and very comfortable with great views of both the sea and Mount Kota Kinabalu. We had use of the club suite were once again the staff were friendly helpful always greeting you with a smile. The pool area was lovely having both a family and adults only area. We went to see the orang utans at Rasa Ria this was organised by the hotel and was very enjoyable.I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this hotel to others only wish I could have stayed longer .

Reviewed June 1, 2014

We stayed at the Shangri-la Tanjung Aru in Kota Kinabalu for a week as a short break. Direct flights from Perth made it our choice as well as good recommendations from friends. This is a great place to stay and the staff were excellent and very friendly. We would strongly recommend the 'Club' bookings and as the rooms are on the top floors and the club benefits are worth it. Shuttle bus to the sister hotel to see the Uragutans is a good trip.

Room Tip: Room 9626 has views of both the mountains and the sea, also at the end of the block so less chance of noise.
Thank Donald and Barb... C