I think this hotel is over-rated in tripadvisor.
Facilities- 5 stars facilitites, restaurants are ok but delivery of food was slow. Can access the outlying islands quickly by boat transfer at the pier of the hotel (at 65 RM for return). Lots of facilities for kids, including water park, shallow pool, and playroom, so good for families with young kids. Sunset is very nice but the pier was packed with lots and lots of noisy hotel residents.
Services-inadequately staffed. We arrived at noon and was told that we could only check-in at 2pm. Fine, we waited until 2 pm but it took more than 15 minutes just to get the key card at the reception. On arrival to room, we found that it is located on the ground floor facing the garden. We chose a "seaview room" when we booked the room, this was not what I paid for. I requested for a change to upper floor and was told that I need to wait for ANOTHER HOUR by a junior staff. The manager stepped in and gave us an upper floor room in 15 minutes time. Staff's English level is not proficient enough, which is a bit disppointing for a 5-star hotel. Not much smile from staff. And sometimes we were even black-faced (e.g. when asking the staff to come back an hour after for cleaning our room).
Room cleaning service is not professional enough, refilling some stuffs while leaving others un-refilled.
We asked for late check-out on the last day (extension for an hour from 12:00noon to 1pm) as our flight is evening flight. Staff at the reception said ok. But when we arrived our room, wet after swimming, at 12:05, we found that our key card could not access the room. We had to wrap ourselves in towel and went to the counter to fix it.
The hotel is very packed with lots of tourists, with quite some from package tour from Mainland China. Breakfast time wasn't really relaxing as there were lots of people competing for food.
I won't come back to this hotel again, unless with young children.
Btw, I went to the Island Sapi. It took just 10 minutes jetty from the hotel. However, the beach was packed with tourists, with plastic bottles on the beach and in the water. Some coral reef and fish but not very impressive.
I've been to the Shangri-la Rasa Ria, the experiences there was far better.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A paradise for the senses surrounded by natural beautyA gentle breeze caresses your face as you wake to the sound of waves lapping the beach. The balcony opens up to an inspiring vista of sparkling coral islands and swaying of palm trees. Tunku Abdul Rahman Park, bordered by crystal clear waters and lush vegetation Sophistication surrounds you in a lavishly decorated suite inspired by Borneo’s rich cultural heritage. Shangri-La’s Tanjung Aru Resort and Spa, Kota Kinabalu, is a perfect tropical getaway, a luxurious tranquil retreat just a short drive from the city.Yet, excitement beckons as you set out to discover all Kota Kinabalu’s delights. Making your way to Kinabalu National Park, you are thrust into a jungle paradise of natural wonders, rugged landscapes and scenic beauty. From the Rafflesia, the largest flower in the world, to the famous Orangutans in their natural habitat, it only gets more breathtaking every step of the way.The afternoon is spent exploring the picturesque town of Kota Belud. As Sabah’s largest and most popular open market, you find gems of all sorts, ranging from handmade handicrafts to mouth-watering local delights like natural honey.Back at the resort, you look forward to a sunset cruise, which departs from STAR Marina, to catch Borneo's famous sunset. Not long after, you wind down at Coco-Joe’s Bar & Grill. Lounging atop one of the beach-dining platforms, over cocktails and a delectable seafood tower, you continue to enjoy the sound of overlapping waves on the shores of Sunset Beach. A pampering session at CHI, The Spa rounds off the day. With treatments based on traditional Asian healing philosophies, you lose yourself in an enchanted and indulgent journey, all on the resort’s private spa island.For every experience here, you are surrounded by natural beauty. And it all begins at Shangri-La’s Tanjung Aru Resort and Spa, Kota Kinabalu ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Shangri-La Hotels and Resorts, Orbitz, Booking.com, Hotwire, Travelocity, Ctrip TA, Agoda, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, Cheap Tickets, getaroom.com, Hotel.de, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Shangri-La's Tanjung Aru Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Shangri-La`s Tanjung Aru Resort And Spa
- Shangri-La`s Tanjung Aru Hotel Kota Kinabalu
- Shangri Las Tanjung Aru Resort
- Shangri Las Tanjung Aru Hotel
- Shangri La Kota Kinabalu
- Shangri-La's Tanjung Aru Resort & Spa Kota Kinabalu, Sabah