After much research on Trip Advisor I booked a 5 night stay in Tanjung Executive Suite to stay in on our way back from the UK to break the journey!
I am glad we choose this resort over Rasa Ria it is a 5 min journey from the airport and only $30R - Make sure you get your taxi paid for inside the airport :)
The check in to the resort took forever and the room we were allocated was central Room 212 it was overlooking the water slides so NO ocean view here - infact all rooms 200 - 236 avoid if you want a view of the sea - this didn't worry us as we were hardly in the room we were busy in the kids club or in the pool or on the slides.
I would say ask for your room number and location prior to confirming the booking if you are looking for view, I think the rooms in the Tanjung wing are nicer and have better views and seem quieter so if you wish for a quiet sleep book this side.
The room was excellent BUT not made up to the booking but the room staff remedied this by the time we got back from the pools, we stayed with a toddler and a 4YO so needed a bed and cot which fitted well into the lounge allowing my husband and I to have peace at night in our part of the room – worth booking a suite if you can afford it
As part of our booking we were able to access the Kinabla club which allows you to eat breakfast and free drinks during the evening period – we used the breakfast area once as we have noisy children we could not relax and eat breakfast without annoying others, the access to this club would be perfect with kids 8 years and older
We ate in TATU every other morning and the food available was good BUT very busy! So if you have small kids try and see yourself near the kids buffett down the back of the room you will be away from other guests. The food selection was excellent something for everyone and very well serviced, I spoke to the head chef who was very nice!
We ate lunch at Joe’s most days which was excellent and if you wanted something specific for the kids they would make it for you – nothing was too much for the staff to help you with
We ate dinner as room service every night and this was excellent – Hot and delicious food the Asian foods were the best!
We also visited the other resort which was a huge waste of time and money, Yes it is more grand but the visit was a huge letdown. The rangers were rude unhelpful – led us up the path and then told everyone to be quiet and if you are not quiet then you will be asked to leave, we had 2 small kids and this is an impossible task! We went up and down within 10 mins! I would say don’t bother going costs 65 R per adult plus 10 R per child and 260 R for the Taxi rides there and back! The pool is not as nice and only one slide! I also think the staff are much friendly at Tanjung
Kids club is excellent well run, clean, staff are really helpful friendly and caring
Pools and slides are a HUGE highlight to this resort along with the staff they are excellent
The SPA is also amazing worth a massgae after a long flight
Overall excellent resort – the room location would be the only thing that wasn’t 100% perfect but I would recommend this place to anyone
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A paradise for the senses surrounded by natural beautyA gentle breeze caresses your face as you wake to the sound of waves lapping the beach. The balcony opens up to an inspiring vista of sparkling coral islands and swaying of palm trees. Tunku Abdul Rahman Park, bordered by crystal clear waters and lush vegetation Sophistication surrounds you in a lavishly decorated suite inspired by Borneo’s rich cultural heritage. Shangri-La’s Tanjung Aru Resort and Spa, Kota Kinabalu, is a perfect tropical getaway, a luxurious tranquil retreat just a short drive from the city.Yet, excitement beckons as you set out to discover all Kota Kinabalu’s delights. Making your way to Kinabalu National Park, you are thrust into a jungle paradise of natural wonders, rugged landscapes and scenic beauty. From the Rafflesia, the largest flower in the world, to the famous Orangutans in their natural habitat, it only gets more breathtaking every step of the way.The afternoon is spent exploring the picturesque town of Kota Belud. As Sabah’s largest and most popular open market, you find gems of all sorts, ranging from handmade handicrafts to mouth-watering local delights like natural honey.Back at the resort, you look forward to a sunset cruise, which departs from STAR Marina, to catch Borneo's famous sunset. Not long after, you wind down at Coco-Joe’s Bar & Grill. Lounging atop one of the beach-dining platforms, over cocktails and a delectable seafood tower, you continue to enjoy the sound of overlapping waves on the shores of Sunset Beach. A pampering session at CHI, The Spa rounds off the day. With treatments based on traditional Asian healing philosophies, you lose yourself in an enchanted and indulgent journey, all on the resort’s private spa island.For every experience here, you are surrounded by natural beauty. And it all begins at Shangri-La’s Tanjung Aru Resort and Spa, Kota Kinabalu ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Ctrip TA, Expedia, Agoda, Booking.com, Orbitz, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, Travelocity, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets, HotelQuickly, getaroom.com and Evoline ltd so you can book your Shangri-La's Tanjung Aru Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Shangri-La`s Tanjung Aru Resort And Spa
- Shangri-La`s Tanjung Aru Hotel Kota Kinabalu
- Shangri Las Tanjung Aru Resort
- Shangri Las Tanjung Aru Hotel
- Shangri La Kota Kinabalu
- Shangri-La's Tanjung Aru Resort & Spa Kota Kinabalu, Sabah