4,049 results
All reviewskinabalu wingsunset barkinabalu clubcafe tatucoco joeschi spastar marinawater slidesborneo loungehorizon clubsister hotelpitch and puttkids clubinfinity poolclub roomlife guardsour honeymoon
Reviewed October 20, 2011

Nice 5 day break for my mothers 60th. Beautiful location with plenty of options to enjoy the beauty of Borneo.
The hotel staff were extremely helpful and you always felt that they tried their hardest to please you at every possible moment.
The Borneo lounge bar was a nice place to relax in the evenings with live entertainment although could get a little much after the 4th day of the same band, great place to enjoy all the drinks offers avaliable. I recommend anyone wanting a spa treatment to book before they arrive it is extremely popular and gets booked up and you could end up disappointed that you couldn't have anything in the allocated time you were there. Don't forget to also visit the sister hotel to see the wildlife reserve with the orangutans it's not very expensive and there is a shuttle between the hotels and you can spend the day using the hotels facilities too, it's a great experience which we loved.
I would recommend this holiday for everyone it's a romantic retreat, as well as a nice family place so would suit everyone.

• Stayed: September 2011
Reviewed October 17, 2011

We've just returned from 8 nights at the STAR and we had an amazing time at the hotel. The rooms are spacious, luxurious and well maintained - as are the grounds and the pool area. This resort had one of the best pools that we've seen, and although there are children about they are kept to the children's area and water slides.
Staff we're friendly and helpful, and having eaten at the resort on a couple of occasions I can say the food is great - although a little pricey - which is what you would expect when eating in-resort!
The only negative I would have for the resort is the beach - the area requires some maintenance from the hotel staff - I think a daily clean up would have it in shape in no time and make it much more appealing.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 13, 2011

My family and I had a wonderful week at the Shangri-la Tanjung Aru
resort this September.

The resort exceeded all of our expectations in terms of its facilities,
stylish decor, beautiful grounds and the friendly, professional service.

As we are a family of five, we booked two adjoining mountain-view rooms,
which were spacious and recently refurbished. The kids just loved the
extensive pools, water slides and especially the water-battle area -
which I also found to be great fun! I appreciated the fact that the
pools were always carefully watched by lifeguards, and that other resort
staff were always on the lookout for ways to entertain the kids, allowing parents
to relax. The kids particularly loved the kids club.

Breakfast at Tatu is a great way to start the day, with an unbelievable
choice of cooking styles and foods to choose from. We also tried the
Shang Palace (Chinese) and Peppino (Italian) restaurants for dinner, both of which were first class. Expensive
by local standards (and downtown KK is just a ten minute RM15 taxi ride away) but probably half what you would expect
to pay for this food and service in Australia. Try the Sabah Veg!

I recommend the complimentary Tai Chi and Yoga classes at Chi spa. The
massage there was also good, but quite expensive.

The resort is associated with the Shangri-la Rasa Ria, and they arranged
a shuttle bus to take us to their wildlife sanctuary (to see Orang
Hutans). This is popular, so we had to book a few days in advance. Rasa Ria itself was a long way out of town, and
undergoing significant reservations, so we are certain that Tanjung Aru
was the right choice.

We will be back!

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
6  Thank DavidXO
Reviewed October 11, 2011

This hotel is fantastic, with beautiful grounds, freindly and welcoming staff, big and comfortable rooms and fantastic facilities, AMAZING breakfast.
I would definatly recommend this hotel, we could not fault it.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Julie C
Reviewed October 9, 2011

This is a great property and I can see why it wins many awards for top resort in terms of facilities. The pool is well designed for both children and adults with a nice separation. The water slides are huge fun. For Families, the pool and slides alone are enough to choose Tanjung Aru over Rasa Ria. Coco Joe's is a good restaurant.

So why wasn't it amazing for me? Was it higher expectations based on so many reviews here? Well...

1) breakfast is a mad house. Granted, I was there during a very busy week (Chinese week long holiday, Australia had a holiday, other Shangri La has construction going on ,etc etc... so packed with tourists). Sometimes we didn't have a baby chair available, sometimes we had to wait to be seated. Overall, its the food that gives breakfast a bad rating. A lot of choices, just not great choices. Wasn't appealing for me. Breakfast is from 6-10:30am. If you go before 9am (which we did twice due to excursions) we found more options available (e.g. more bread choices). If you go after 9am... it starts to run out and they don't refill all.

2) Ice cream bar is a fantastic idea... but there as well as at Cafe Tutu they don't keep the freezer low enough, as once you get your ice cream you must eat/lick fast as it melts immediately.

3) Front Desk needs the most attention, which others have addressed here. We had a 35 minute wait to check out !! Why doesn't Shangri La give the bill the night before and offer express check out by call?! When we finally got to the counter I complained about the wait and the girl apologized and said she was the only one... which is odd because its a standard check out time so why wouldn't they staff appropriately? And the bill was wrong, it didn't include a credit based on my rate package. Also, when I checked in, I had to give a copy of my reservation which included my special offers, the guy who checked me in didn't see these offers on my computer.

4) Concierge... was ok. I felt it was just standard advice and would have loved to know the depth of activities I could have done in the area. As an example, I just read a new review by someone recommending the Borneo Railway... I looked it up and would have enjoyed to do that, as would my son. I'm disappointed concierge didn't introduce that to me- we were there 8 days and I talked to them enough. At the very least, why not have a book of activities to look through?

So a lot of little annoyances... but it's still very good because we were there for rest and relaxation... and the pool/slides area are truly family fun.

If I were to do it over again, I would probably have broken up my 8 day stay and did 4 days at Rasa Ria (even with the construction) and 4 days at Tanjung, because Rasa Ria has quite a few activities that they offer, that Tanjung doesn't (which you don't see on their website, you see only when you visit the property). And you don't want to spend your time shuttling back/forth too much in the small van.

Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family