“Tha Klagan of Kotakinabalu”
Review of The Klagan Hotel

The Klagan Hotel
Ranked #14 of 91 Hotels in Kota Kinabalu
Reviewed February 19, 2014

The room we had was an atrium room which faced a courtyard & had rooms opposite facing us so remember to close your curtains for privacy. Great sized room & has Wi-Fi in rooms & the foyer. A Great room design feature is plenty of recessed wall shelving to put all your knick knacks on you need regularly. Nice tastefully styled modern bathroom which uses a glass panel as a divider therefore no sticky shower curtain. dual shower head or spot shower nozzle. On check in, you are given a drinks voucher.....don't be fooled its only for a cup of tea!!!!! Strange looking "L" shaped chair which to my way of thinking is only a waste of space in a nicely spacious room. Sadly has NO VIEW except to a courtyard & opposite room windows , but to managements credit ,the lower floors have a mural to look out onto. Carpet floors make a nice change to the floor boards. Unfortunately the "in room" safe has not been bolted to the wardrobe it just sits on the shelf or maybe it was an oversight. Great view from the 10th floor in the dining room overlooking The Islands of Tunku Abdul Rahman Marine Park. Complimentary breakfast consists of a choice of breakfasts catering both Western & Asian breakfast tastes. If you have an early morning start, the breakfast room is open from 6am but coffee & juices don't come out until 0630. On one occasion our room was made up but my coffee cup was left on the bedside unwashed & the coffee/tea/sugar stock was not replenished!!! A blown light globe was quickly attended when we showed the cleaning staff what was needed. The staff gave us clean towels each day which the management staff go to great lengths to impress on visitors to save the planet & environment by putting dirty towels in the basin. Next to The Klagan, is a 4711 store which has some quick cheap goodies if needed. Across the road is the Centre Point Mall and internal food court. If you are expecting a swimming pool for you and the kids....forget it ,there isn't one!! Great place to eat is Sri Melaka on Jalan Laiman Diki

Room Tip: For a room with a view you need the western side for a sunset to die for! Other rooms face an atriu...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple

Reviewed February 13, 2014

We stayed here for one night after our Singapore trip. The hotel room size is spacious. However, there is quite some black mold on the bathroom sealant. That tells you the housekeeping is not doing their job properly.
The breakfast is simple. Although the room rate is cheap and the location is convenient but I would not come back to stay.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 7, 2014

Would have been 4 stars, but we had some big disappointment with housekeeping/maintenance. The room itself was nice, ample space and looks nice. Everything seemed clean except for the bottom of the bathroom sink which was full of specks of dirt and junk. Didn't think much of it until we turned on the sink and it didn't drain-guess housekeeping thought a clogged sink would be fine-so obviously the little junk was there because the backed up sink was left to very slowly seep out-so they knew it was a problem and just didn't do anything about it-that was annoying. Then I went to use the toilet and lifted the cover to see urine spots on the seat-wasn't expecting to have to clean the bathroom before I used it. So I cleaned the toilet and had to go into the shower to wash my hands because of the sink. I called the desk, they sent someone up who plunged the ink and said it was fixed. It wasn't-an hour later it was doing the same thing. Had to wait for a bit but they finally sent maintenance again and the took apart the pipes and actually fixed it.
After that everything else worked fine-nice shower, descent towels.
The breakfast was really pretty nice-good selection of breakfast foods (pancakes, eggs, toast, fruit, paste rise, cereal, juices etc) along with a few other things like salad stuff and usually a chicken dish with noodles or something pretty filling.
Be careful to check your paperwork, seemed to be struggles with another customer as we were checking out, and they didn't seem terribly apt as to what was up with our stuff. We might have just experienced a few lazy individuals, but even when we tried to talk to the desk they seemed courteous but uninterested. Overall, maybe okay.

Pros: big room, comfy bed, mini-fridge, large bathroom, nice/ample breakfast
Cons: spotty wi-fi during peak times, front desk not terribly helpful, phone issues in the room, poor housekeeping, maintenance sloppy, funny smell in the elevator

Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ourdogrocks
Reviewed February 2, 2014 via mobile

Its our first day here. Its been 20 years since we last visited KK, and my, it looks so modern ! With tall buildings and all. We took the airport Taxi from KKAirport (RM30), and when we arrived, we were so happy to know this hotel is situated right SMACK in the city centre! right across this hotel ( 10 steps away) is an old busy 3 star shopping complex, Centre Point, with McD & KFC. Then on the other side is the Api Api Complex ( a new complex) with nicer looking shops.
Our check in was smooth, the only drawback is check in only at 3 pm!
So we had to wait quite a bit. But the Receptionist at the counter and the Bell Boy were exceptionally nice and went all out to make us comfortable.
We met two nice taxi drivers and they told us popular tourist centres and gave their numbers.
Will update tomorrow.

Stayed: February 2014
1  Thank MrsBoe
Reviewed January 31, 2014

The Klagan Hotel is conveniently located near the sea and near pubs, restaurants, wet market and some shops. Rooms are standard hotel rooms, nothing wrong, nothing really special as well. We had lunch and breakfast buffet in the hotel which was average at best. Choice limited and nothing which was noteworthy. What really let me down was the service. Check-in was extremely long and at check-out noone seemed to be interested in my experience of the hotel. In general it really missed a "personal touch". As my plane was leaving a bit later on the day I asked if I could keep my room for another 3 hours. It was possible, but only if I would pay another RM170. I have stayed in excellent 5 star hotels around the world but never had to pay such a high amount for a few extra hours. So all in all not a great experience and would not return. Better pay an extra RM100 and stay in one of the top brands where service matters.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank BobKL
Reviewed January 30, 2014

Arrived late, promptly checked in and went up to the room to prepare for a presentation the next morning. I like small rooms, but I like reasonably sized rooms better and this was one of the latter. Well appointed with electrical sockets everywhere to charge the myriad of gadgets I carry.

Bathroom ameneties was basic with the usual suspects. Arriving late, I usually won't get an iron, but this had both iron and board. So that's good. Internet connection was complementary, but it was rather slow. Had to use my LTE if I wanted to get any work done. That's an area for improvement.

Sleep was comfortable enough. Didn't wake up with a neck ache.

Breakfast? Hmmm....rudimentary at best. You won't go hungry, but you could do better elsewhere. Still, there was a convenience store just next to the hotel and the mall is just a hop away. So you're pretty set.

Roomy, clean, pretty bright room gets my vote every time. Wish I was staying longer instead of for just 10 hours.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed January 28, 2014

I was here for a business trip for 3 nights. Compared to 5 star Meridien Hotel situated next to each other, this hotel offered the best location for travelers seeking easy access to shopping outlets and eateries. The room is spacious and comfortable for people to stay with families. Value for money. Cleanliness in the bathroom can be improved by ensuring fingerprints on glass surface to be removed. Excellent choice.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business