WINNER WONDERLAND

Ranked #58 of 75 Kota Kinabalu B&B and Inns
innsbruck
“do not stay here!!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2013

we‘ve stayed there for one night which was more than enough. At the beginning everything looked good, there room was small but ok, just like the bathroom. We've asked the manager for a quiet room, not directed to the street and got it. unfortunatelly this room was not good at all. After some time we recognized the moist air in the room which results in mould on the wall. We thought ok, for one night it's ok. after a short walk around in kk heavy working sound started to begin. i asked the manager what that was all about, she just replied: it just started today - no excuse, nothing. the noise continued in the next morning, without a break. cockroaches all over the place as we wanted to go to bed was the last chapter of the whole disaster. on the next day we left the hotel, complained about the things mentioned before but the very unfriendly manager did not care at all. for 90 rm the room is just a joke - go somewhere else, you can do just better!

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank quetzalZZZ

Families
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2013

Enjoyed our stay here. The staff was very helpful in organising a car rental. We stayed in a windowless room which was clean with ac, wifi and hot water for 90RM through booking site but only 80RM if you are a walk in. Will stay here again on our return to KK.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank Cjlaura
Kuching, Malaysia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2012

My reason for initially booking with this place was due to the fact that the rate for a double room with bathroom and air-con was quite cheap, at least by Kota Kinabalu's hotel price standards (80RM at the time of writing). It also seemed as though the hotel was new, having been constructed within the last few years.

Let me preface this review by saying that I am not much of a fussy traveller, and neither is my partner; I have stayed in hostels, bungalows, and generally cheap places all over South-East Asia. However, after staying at Maxim Hotel for a few nights, I would never come back; I strongly recommend that you find a different place, even if it might be a little more expensive.

There were so many things wrong with this place, that I can only describe them all by means of a brief list:

- I made a booking for a king-sized room (100RM at the time of writing), only to be told that the room was unavailable upon arrival. I was subsequently put in a double room with no window (80RM).
-There were Bedbugs in the room we stayed in.
- There were ants and fleas in the room we stayed in.
- The handle of the bathroom door repeatedly fell off.
- The shower area had a hole in the roof, which was filled with a tissue (presumably by the staff).
- The 'cable TV' had about 6 or 7 channels.
- The building has a mould problem, and the rooms smell heavily of mould. The roof has water damage.
- Our room had a giant crack in the wall, above our bed.
- One of the bed-side lamps next to our bed had completely melted.

- The staff were most unusual; they would act super friendly on one day, only to become very unhelpful and demanding on the very next day. They demanded immediate payment at sporadic intervals, and they refused to call a taxi for me. They knew nothing about the local area's attractions, and they were seemingly obsessed with making me sign things; I think I signed 3 bills in total, none of which had the correct amount on them.

Apart from the relatively speedy wi-fi and the relatively reasonable room rate, this place has nothing going for it. I would strongly recommend that you find somewhere else.

I repeat, I am not a fussy traveller; having said that, Maxim Hotel is one of the worst hotels that I have ever stayed in.

Room Tip: There is no tip that could help you to choose a good room in Maxim Hotel; the best advice I can poss...