“Give them a shout and they'll sort you out”

All Borneo Connection - Day Tours
Ranked #27 of 83 Tours in Kota Kinabalu
More attraction details
Owner description: Naturalis Expeditions (by All Borneo Connection Tours Sdn Bhd) is a tour operator specialized in ecotourism and off the beaten track adventures for small groups and individual travellers. Discover our travel programs on our website and journey with us for an amazing trip of a lifetime -experience the pristine jungle of Maliau Basin, trek up the mighty Mount Kinabalu, discover the remote Kelabit Highlands or dive into the azure waters of the Celebes Sea.
Reviewed August 15, 2013

This tour company are one of the best I’ve worked with. I was a little concerned upon arriving at Kuching airport that we might be left stranded. I should have had more faith. Sure enough, the guide was waiting there for us - on time. As was every other driver we dealt with during the tour. At no stage was a driver late and they kept to a pretty strict schedule. Incredibly organised and this set the tone for the rest of the trip. They kindly put together a bespoke package and included everything I asked for. The accommodation was to the standard we were looking at and the tours were as advertised. No unpleasant surprises. I can’t recommend them highly enough and would like to thank Len and the team for all your help in getting the trip organised and booked up. If you can’t find a tour that you’re happy with – then get in touch with them with your interests and ideas – they’ll put something decent together for you.

2  Thank JBJones510

Reviewed May 29, 2013

I worked with Luca and the Naturalis team to organize a 10-day trip for my father and I. I wanted to see the Maliau Basin and summit Mt. Kinabalu and they delivered. We got a great combination of jungle wilderness hiking with 5D/4N in the Maliau Basin (seeing all the magnificent waterfalls there), relaxing beach time in Manukan and Manutik Islands and summited Mt. Kinabalu (2D/1N) with a Via Ferrata on the decent (Walk the Torq). The organization and communication before the trip was excellent making for a smooth and enjoyable trip. Transportation to and from the different excursions was also handled well by Naturalis. The pricing may be a bit more than other operators but the quality of service was definitely worth it. We were based out of Kota Kinabalu on our off days and our guides gave us plenty of good suggestions for some great local seafood and cuisine.

1  Thank Canada_Captain_P
Reviewed May 23, 2013

ABC gave us so many different ideas of things to do all over, so all we had to do was choose. We ended up going to Mantanani island and we had a great time. We'll definitely consult them again.

1  Thank MisterSleep
Reviewed April 13, 2013

My fourteen year-old son and I have recently returned from a two week holiday in Sabah, North Borneo, travelling from the UK via Singapore.

We climbed Kinabalu and a few days later we explored the Maliau Basin. Both tours were organised by ABC, an operator we chose because they answered e-mail correspondence and phone calls more efficiently and helpfully than other operators I contacted. Though I never met the office staff - Anne de Silva and her colleague Len - they were very good about organizing payments and other documents.

Mount Kinabalu was an excellent experience. Although the whole ascent is thoroughly guided and a little bit 'managed' for the taste of a really independent hiker, the physical challenge of the last, early morning stage, is considerable and my son in particular found the altitude quite tough. We also enjoyed the via ferrata and did the Walk the Torq stage on the way down. I would warmly recommend doing the via ferrata - Walk the Torq with younger teens like my son but Low's Peak if you have any experience of scrambling or hiking and a decent head for heights. Mountain Torq, the organisers, were hopeless at answering e-mails addressed to their website, so you are better served to go through an operator and ABC sorted our arrangements perfectly. Don't expect to get much sleep in the Pendant Hut or a warm breakfast when you get back at around 10am.

The Maliau Basin experience is clearly one which very few people do. We did a five day trip, which includes two 4x4 long drives there and back (far better to do this, now, from Kota Kinabalu than fly to Tawau as the drive rom there is only an hour shorter). The Studies Centre is smart, clean and civilised and a huge contrast to the camps which now have no on site managers and are deserted and, in my view, fast being reabsorbed by the jungle. We went to Maliua because it sounded like a more authentic jungle experience and more of a physical challenge than Danum Valley. However, if you are really keen to see mammal life and orangs in the jungle, Danum may be the better bet. We saw mammals on the night walks and night drives - boar, deer, slow lorises, civets etc. - lots of birds including plenty of hornbills at the study centre, and two serious snakes including a pit viper. (Yes, leeches too!) ABC set us up with a really excellent driver, guide and - we discovered - cook!! His name was Augustinus and he's one of life's rare self-taught, self-sufficient, ever calm and patient gems. Ask for him.

There are lots of tour operators in Sabah (we happened to use a different one out of Sandakan to do Gomantong and the Kinabatangan river) but I thought ABC looked after us very well.

10  Thank Joe F
Reviewed April 7, 2013

Our trip consisted of a 10 day tour of Tabin Wildlife Reserve, Danum Valley and the Kinabatangan River. We stayed at the Hyatt on the first night and at the Rasa Ria Shangri La resort for the last 2.

Everything was organised with military precision with every transfer happening smoothly with no hiccups whatsoever and we felt safe and secure throughout. The drivers were very talkative and shared lots of interesting facts about each area we were travelling through, stopping regularly to point out interesting flora and fauna.

Leg 1 of the journey was from Kota Kinabalu to Tabin involving a flight and a 2 hour drive. The driver was there to meet us in Lahad Datu and after completing some documentation at the Tabin office we set off for Tabin 20 minutes on good roads the an hour and a half on murram roads which weren't too bad.
Tabin accommodation was rustic, but very good quality given the location. The guide we had -Wangkon, was excellent. he really knew flora and fauna of the local area and was an expert on the birds in the reserve. He adapted the programme to cater for everyones needs and went out of his way to ensure everyone was happy.
The highlight of the stay were the sightings of Bornean Gibbons, Leopard Cat, Palm Civet, Paradise Tree Snake and Flying Squirrels; not to mention the numerous bird species. I got leached here as well... my tip is to take small sachets of salt (MacDonalds etc) as they fall off in a second once salt is applied to the bite area.
We had an excellent and action packed time in Tabin and thoroughly recommend a stay here.

Leg 2 of the trip was from Tabin to Danum Valley. On route back to Lahad Datu for our transfer we saw a Sumatran Cobra and numerous Kingfishers and other birds. Our transfer went smoothly and we headed to Danum through regenerating secondary rainforest, and finally through the primary rainforest which was amazing and designed to give you a sore neck as the trees are so tall you're continually looking up and saying 'wow!'. The rainforest lodge was also amazing, we upgraded to a Deluxe room (with outside tub) for the view and can only say it was definitely money well spent. The views from the balcony each morning of the rainforest rising up from the river were spectacular, as well as which it was great to watch the dozen or so Bee Eaters hunting and feeding on the meadow in front of the river. Spider Hunters, Woodpeckers, Munia and Prinia were also regular visitors.
Danum itself was stunning and offers the best chance to see the more exotic animals in Borneo. Highlights include close encounters with an Orangutan mother and baby, Maroon Langur mother and baby, Elephants, Paradise Flycatchers. Take note that there is a lot of trekking required to get the most out of your stay at Danum, but it is definitely worth it. If you have any specific things you want to do such as concentrate on birds, or large primates, I'd recommend you hire your own guide to make the most of your time there, we felt this was the one area where we could have improved our trip, but realised too late!
Nonetheless, the food, rooms, excellent staff and most of all the location made Danum Valley an amazing experience and we're already planing to go back for longer next year.

Leg 3 of the journey was from Danum Valley to Sukau and Abai, on the Kinabatngan River. This was familiar territory as I had visited both places last year and once again it exceeded my expectations almost from the moment we arrived. Our guide, Basri, once again made the River safaris amazing, with first Sabran, and then Anwar piloting the boat we were assured of an amazing experience. We experienced close encounters with around 9 Orangutans, Proboscis Monkeys, Macaques, Elephant, Kingfishers (Black Capped being the stand out species), Hornbills, Silver Leaf Monkeys and a Waglers Pit Viper. It was an incredible end to the wildlife safari part of our trip with both Sukau and Abai offering excellent activities and facilities. The food at Abai had much improved since last year with better variety and quality on offer. The boat safaris also offer a chance to rest weary legs and bodies after all the trekking of the previous few days.

Leg 4 of the trip was back to Kota Kinabalu via Sandakan for our stay at the Rasa Ria Sangri La Resort. We had requested this hotelas it had been recommended by friends. It is our first stay here and first impressions were that it is a very large and welcoming hotel with lots of staff and activities. It was very busy though, it being the Easter Weekend, perhaps too busy for us after our stay at smaller wildlife lodges. A major disappointment for us, and I'm sure many others, was that we couldn't book any of the daily nature activities as spaces were strictly limited and booked for days in advance, leaving us a bit at a loose end. Upon reflection, I would have chosen somewhere else to stay. Maybe it was because it was Easter but it appeared to be ex pat city catering for the mass market, I wouldn't go back. This isn't a reflection on ABC or Naturalis, as we requested the hotel, but our opinion offered to others who may be considering a similar trip.

Our stay in Borneo was amazing, it was organised superbly, our guides and drivers were very knowledgable, helpful and most of all welcoming. Nothing was too much trouble. We will be booking future tours through ABC/Naturalis as they not only delivered what we expected, they exceeded our expectations consistently. Many thanks to all at ABC/Naturalis for organising our bespoke tour and making it so wonderful.

6  Thank SafariCal