“Good price good food”

Hua Hing Seafood Restaurant
Ranked #124 of 659 Restaurants in Kota Kinabalu
Cuisines: Malaysian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Very large, yet low priced fresh seafood restaurant in Kota Kinabalu
Reviewed March 7, 2014

It's in the city area and easy to located. It is near Le Meridian and Cititel In a big area of food court having a lot stalls selling seafood.

I had my lunch here.

Just abalone and a plate of seafood friedrice.

The seafoodfried rice is really very 'seafood'. I have fish fillet, octopus, prawn, squid with egg and some vegie.

The abalone was very nice also.

1  Thank siauhwa

Reviewed February 10, 2014

First visit in 2010 had the ingredients of a great Sabah seafood eating experience. Jumping fresh seafood, cheap beer, nice flavor and awesome price. I recall 3 of us had giant cockles, 2 giant mantis prawn, crabs, seafood fried rice, top shell and 4 cans of beer for about USD60.

Next visit in 2012 had similar great experience and we readily dug into the fresh seafood. Wished it was like this on my every biz visit.

2013 visit was awkward as while seafood remained fresh(you choose living specimens off many water tanks btw), the place was visibly packed with tourists, food tasted below average and the price noticeably much higher. Was thinking to move on to eat at other places in my next visit to KK.

For lack of knowing other spots in this visit, we visited Hua Hing in our current visit. We were surrounded by Chinese tourists with their many tour buses parked nearby. Perhaps seafood is expensive in China as the listed price on the water tanks was astronomically high very much similar to KL prices and some even higher. Food was better than my last visit but for the price I had to pay and the overall experience value, nothing more than Average rating from me.

Next time I will be eating somewhere else. Time to hunt for new spot.

2  Thank 2adults2kidsonBudget
Reviewed February 4, 2014

it is located in tourist area, it is overpriced but we enjoyed sabah seafood as well as twin-sky restaurant (suang tian) that we visited earlier (these are located in the same area). variety of menu, fresh seafood, fast sevice and the price was reasonable (it is tourist area). we ordered clams with ginger soup, fried fern (paku pakis), butter prawns, steamed fish and beers. total bill was RM185, fish was RM85.

Reviewed December 5, 2013

Eating seafood was one of my must have in Kota Kinabalu.Walking distance from our Hotel Le Meridien and easy to find. The place alone is a tourist attraction esp for people not familiar with eating live seafood from the tanks. Lots of edible marine life. Fascinating and quite educational. The place was hot and noisy but popular with locals. There are many restaurants in this complex. Many touters encouraging guests to eat at their establishment.
We ordered mud crabs, steamed stone fish (never tasted before) and small rice.The crab was very tasty but the stone fish was a bit bland. For afters we had soft white coconut served in a coconut shell (very cooling). We couldn't order any more as we would have liked as there were only the 2 of us. It cost 91.00 MR. I will go there again sometime to try the mantis prawns, coconut crabs, shells and clamps and the many varieties of fish.

1  Thank Heid25
Reviewed November 29, 2013 via mobile

This is in a big complex and very average food.
We also found it noisy.
Service brisk but not at all friendly. no smile.
The serves are small for the price.

1  Thank brown656