Ming Garden Hotel & Residences
$135
$120
LeMeridien.com
  • Pool
Shangri-La's Tanjung Aru Resort & Spa(Kota Kinabalu)
$534
$486
Horizon Hotel(Kota Kinabalu)
$94
$87
Agoda.com
Hyatt Regency Kinabalu(Kota Kinabalu)
$104
$264
$150
Agoda.com
The Klagan Hotel(Kota Kinabalu)
$59
$51
Travelocity
Grand Borneo Hotel(Kota Kinabalu)
$44
$88
$59
$48
  • Restaurant
Hotel Eden54(Kota Kinabalu)(Great Value!)
$37
$34
Travelocity
All reviewsnice hotelshopping mallswimming poolkk times squareshuttle busjunior suitetown areabuffet breakfasthotel is locatedflat screen tvhousekeeping staffwater frontpleasant staycity viewmain restaurantshort stayjesselton point
FilterAll languages
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Checked in late at night and out the following morning so has little comment about the hotel itself except that ii is very big and had to walk round and round before reaching the room. The room is clean and satisfactory for the one night stay.
I would like to comment of the Spa. I understand that the Spa is probably not ran by the Hotel group but since it is on the Hotel website as part of its facility, I feel that the Hotel should be held responsible for any deficiencies or otherwise. The main Hall in the spa is very disappointing, nothing more that any massage facilites in the shopping centre. The room is smoke filled and people are lying around taking a puff. The treatment room lacks the atmosphere I associate with a Spa treatment area in a Hotel. The price that was quoted was extremely reasonable, Rm 75 per hour but wait a minute, if you want a massage with oil, your have to add Rm 50 so the price may not be what you bargained for when you are lying naked on the couch. So consider a dry massage if you are not prepared to pay more. Personally, I prefer to know what I have to pay before I start and I hope the Hotel will look into this.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank KCPZ
GeneralManager_MGHR, General Manager at Ming Garden Hotel & Residences, responded to this reviewResponded March 21, 2013

Dear KCPZ,

Greetings from Ming Garden Hotel & Residences!

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on Tripadvisor following your recent visit to Ming Garden Hotel & Residences.

We would like to apologise for the discomfort that you have experienced while receiving massage treatment at the Odyssey Spa recently. The room’s condition and the staff's undesirable attitude is indeed not a practice here at the hotel and we apologise deeply that this unfortunate event occurred during your trip here. We have raised this matter to the Spa Owner and Operators with a warning letter and rest assured that the hotel management will take stern action on this issue accordingly.

We thank you for your comments and will definitely take note on this and hopefully use it a reference to upgrade the cleanliness and standards of a good hotel.

We hope that you will give us another opportunity to serve you better in your next visit.
See you :)

Reviewed March 10, 2013

Hotel served an international buffet for breakfast. Rooms are well appointed and housekeeping good. Food service average and restaurant and bar menu's look varied however in reality there is much less stocked than offered. We used the Ming Garden as a base for two nights before moving on and it did the job. The location is a little out of town but it's walking distance.

Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
GeneralManager_MGHR, General Manager at Ming Garden Hotel & Residences, responded to this reviewResponded March 15, 2013

Dear LoveBadgers,

Warmest greetings from Ming Garden Hotel & Residences!

We are delighted to read your review regarding your stay with us, it gives us great pleasure to know you enjoyed your stay with generally positive reviews for our services.

The Golden Dew Bistro serves a variety of new selections every month, we believed you've tried our March specials, the Hawaiian Seafood Pizza and Fizzy Lemonade Mocktail? You can always let us know should you need filling up on your plates as we do provide extra snacks on the side as hunger fillers. Either way, we are glad to know that you enjoyed your culinary experience both during breakfast and bar time at Sparks Pub.

As the main shopping malls are quite a walking distance from the hotel, we believe the hotel's shuttle and taxi services helped on your journey around the city? There will be more shoplots and other shopping avenues opened at the hotel’s surrounding areas soon, so do watch out for that :)

We look forward to welcoming you back to Ming Garden Hotel & Residences!
See you soon!

Reviewed February 20, 2013

My first experience with this hotel was during my friend's wedding which I amazed with their Chinese Set wedding dinner on 10.11.2012. Personally, I really enjoy the foods during the function. So, I decide to pick one of this hotel for my wedding dinner on 6.2.2013. On 17.12.2012, I sent email to almost major hotels in town looking for the best quotation, and the first one to reply was this hotel and I love the effectiveness of their communication and concern in the email. After junggling with all the quotation and benefits provided with the cost of all the quotations I have, I finally choose the hotel for my wedding. The sales person was very helpful although we have a very tight time to arrange everything. The grand ballroom only able to fit up to 400pax only. The food tasting before the event is good, although there are few changes on the course. For the package, we have been given a complimentary one night stay at their Bridal Suite (I could say, the room was cozy, clean and satisfied enough) inclusive of breakfast for two persons, but since no one told us where to have this breakfast, we only call the room service for our breakfast the next day and this room service took long time than we expected. We also been given, 1 bottle of Sparkling wine or Juice (which I didn't see in our room), Deluxe Fruit basket, Complimentary buffet dinner for two persons at Golden Dew Bistro on your First Wedding Anniversary (i'm not sure how they will arrange this one though). I could say, overall the service was average and there's a lot of improvement required.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Girllyen
Reviewed February 16, 2013

I had booked this hotel for one night. For Asia, the price was high, but I had been anticipating certain features. I may have looked at two or three hotel booking sites (and used hotels.com) so I will not dismiss the possibility I created certain expectations myself.

To start, any, and all of the staff I encountered, were wonderful. So, this review is not about the staff.

It started poorly. I could not get an early check-in (I arrived around 11:30 am), in fact, I did not get my room until WELL AFTER 2:00 pm. I sat around a lot, I went walkabout for hours. I had a cappuccino (about 15MYR) in the lounge. It was like I had someone else´s second steaming. Their cappuccino was unacceptable at any price - but I did not say a word as I was looking forward to my room.

My room was not what I had anticipated. There was no ¨city view¨, although this is not important to me. I opened the bathroom door - no bathtub, only a shower. I cannot say why I expected a bathtub, but I had. Though I definitely remember reading that there were to be slippers, a bathrobe, a safe and a mini-bar. There was no bathrobe and I was out of clean clothes. Sigh ... and there was no mini-bar. Sigh .... The TV was a handful (8-9) of channels, which proved unacceptable in my sleepless night. There was no top sheet on the bed - only a comforter - way too thick and hot to use even with the A/C. No top sheet? Am I that dumb that I could not find it - or expect one?

The big draw for this hotel (for me) had been the promise of a sauna. Where I live, there just aren´t any and I love one as the best relaxant, even in a hot, humid climate. Uh-oh. The sauna was not working. I asked when and got a polite shrug. I was also informed that the Jacuzzi was not working, either. The pool was open (and OK), but it was (naturally) filled with little kids and parents - not a place for adults to relax.

Again, all the front line staff I encountered were beyond reproach. As for facilities and expectations of quality from advertising (including my own possible confusion), well, I was just 4starfully disappointed.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
4  Thank CanadianinTaiwan
Reviewed February 8, 2013

Stayed 6th feb -12th.2013

Check-in was fine and smooth as we arrived at 6pm.Our room was on the 4th floor,it was a king size bedroom,it was very spacious,clean and fairly new.bathroom was nice ,not a huge one but okay,loved the shower head with nice hot water.
There is a good size flat screen tv with a few channels ,mostly other language.The bed was soft and nice soft pillows,which is always very important for a good nights sleep.

The pool is on the 4 floor,free towels are there for guests use.A medium size rectangle size pool,in front of the gym and play crèche for children,There is a shallow pool for the children.There some deck chair with a bar towards the side of patio,to ordered drinks.Please BEWARE the brown smooth tiles are very dangerous around the pool,when water is on them,nearly slipped over twice.The pool did not have that wow factor for me ,but was clean and warm water.

Never use the spa due to the fact I was put off by the man in the spa,who has no customer service skills ans seem so unprofessional and I saw that they were smoking inside the spa area,this is utterly disgusting.imaging having a massage there ,while you smell that smoke.i believe this spa is run separately to the hotel,a private business.would not recommend it.

Dinner was lovely ,ate there on the first night,service was great,food was excellent,big serving and not too dear,l had the salmon and steak for tea for 2 of us,an 2 entree was $45.00 aus dollars.

Breakfast was huge and an excellent variety of all types of food.yummy.the best spread I think I have ever seen.very busy on all morning,but service was good and fairly quick.

Wifi available only in the lounge,bistro or foyer area,it was very fast on most days.free with your room booking.

Hotels have there own taxi available at your request and there is a free shuttle that's goes into kk city and back 6 times a day,must book for a seat,12 seater bus.

Some great shopping at surin plaza,2 year old plaza,centre point was not bad too.

Overall this hotel was not a bad stay,not sure above its decor,it all mixed up and colours in the lobby are so so.building on the outside seems older than 2 year old hotel.fairly busy place,lots of staff,most are very friendly,pity this hotel is not closer to the city.i think I would stay at one in kk city like the le meridian look very nice,but not sure that I would come to kota k,beachs not that good near the city.The islands beaches seem very nice though,heading out there soon.Theres not much here to do in Kk..loved the night market in kk city,this is a must see and do.go see the water front area,some nice looking resturants there.

Ciao for now
Elisa Australia.

Room Tip: We had a king bed room ,it seem to be bigger than the others rooms.very roomy on the 4 floor..
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
General Manager M, General Manager at Ming Garden Hotel & Residences, responded to this reviewResponded February 14, 2013

Dear Elisa,

Warmest greetings from Ming Garden Hotel & Residences!

We are delighted to read your review regarding your stay with us, it gives us great pleasure to know you enjoyed your stay with highlights of the rooms and knowing that you have a good night's sleep. We are utterly pleased to know that you enjoyed your culinary experience both during breakfast and dinner time at the Golden Dew Bistro.

We appreciate your comments on the functionality of Odyssey Spa and have addressed the issue to the respective supervisor. We take these complaints very seriously and will send out admonitions on the cleanliness and disagreeable attitude of the staff. Please accept our sincere apologies on the inconvenince caused. On the other hand, we are pleased that you find our pool an ideal and great place for relaxation. We do apologies as the poolside area is indeed a tad bit slippery when it's wet.

As the main shopping malls are quite a stone's throw away from the hotel, we believe the hotel's shuttle and taxi services helped on your journey around the city? We are glad to know you had quite a little adventure while in Kota Kinabalu :)

We are looking forward to welcoming you back to Ming Garden Hotel & Residences! See you again soon :)