“Great Location”

Horizon Hotel
Ranked #6 of 91 Hotels in Kota Kinabalu
“Great Location”
Reviewed February 10, 2014

The location is perfect for exploring Kota Kinabalu and the nearby islands.

The room was spacious and comfortable. We had a non-smoking room, however there was a strange smoke/fusty smell when we arrived in the room.

Although the hotel is relatively new, some areas of the hotel needed TLC.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (199)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 9, 2014

Could hardly be more centrally located in KK's compact central district. The sea view rooms are definately to be preferred. Room decor is slightly on the quirky side with extensive use of wood giving a slight 'sauna' feel to the rooms but this is quite OK.
The public areas are on the compact side, especially the pool. I found the staff to be friendly and helpfull, the breakfast buffet was good and I had a good, reasonably priced dinner here too - thumbs up for the oxtail stew which I find rarely disapoints in Asia.
My only complaint was that the in-room WiFi didn't work.
I have stayed in four different KK hotels and I would stay here again although at approx.US$90/ night it's not the best value in town.

Room Tip: Sea view, high floor for the best views.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
HK
Reviewed February 7, 2014

This is just great to be located at the city centre if all you want is to explore the local food stores and markets. However, if you dream of relaxing yourself in Sabah, you must find a resort. However, to save for better nights, this hotel is still a choice when you have plans to join all kinds of local trips to the parks, islands, or for a river cruise. Even there is a pool, there is no place (there are 3 indeed, only 3) for you to lie by the pool. I will definitely choose another when I can afford it.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Horizon_Hotel_KK, Director of Sales at Horizon Hotel, responded to this review, March 6, 2014
Dear keungkeung,
Thank you for your very warm and sincere comments. Your overall feedback is very constructive and I have noted the mentions on the Hotel locations, it seems that you have enjoyed the location of the hotel and sounds like you also did some exploring of KK from our location, which is fabulous. Being a city hotel we have space constraint and as such sun loungers are limited at the poolside.

Thank you for taking the time to share,this only gives us an opportunity to improve.
Kind regards,

Natalia Nadirah Saiman
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed February 4, 2014

My vacation was ruined by the jerk manager at the receiption, who insisted to charge me 4RM for a 6mins local call and won't let me go if I don't pay for it. No matter how many times I explained to him, that I was told by the operator that all local calls are for free. The jerk manager said there was no operator in their hotel and I must pay as long as I made the call, or he won't let me walk out of that door. I was so pissed by his attitude instead of the 4RM. I'll never return.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank zmybb1012
Horizon_Hotel_KK, General Manager at Horizon Hotel, responded to this review, February 16, 2014
Dear zmybb 1012,

Thank you for choosing Horizon Hotel & Spa Kota Kinabalu Sabah on your recent visit. Your feedback and thoughts are important to us.

Whilst I am not so pleased to hear about your comments, I appreciate the time you have taken to share your experience with us.

Your comments on the manager being a jerk, I have to disagree with you on this.
The manager had explained politely and clearly that any calls made from the hotel, charges will apply.

Since the day we opened our doors for business, all calls made out are chargeable.

I hope the explanation is clear and we look forward to welcome you again in the near future.

Kind Regards,

Philip D. Theseira
Oslo, Norway
Reviewed February 3, 2014 via mobile

We stayed five nights at Horizon in delux twin room. Front desk were nice and gave us sea view side. (Be sure to ask for sea side!)

The room was spacious and comfortable. Good AC and wi-fi. Not so good reading light at the beds. Bathroom very nice. Shower pressure weak, but really hot water. Missed a line or somewhere to dry clothes. (At least all hotels with pool should have this.)

Housekeeping service and laundry service can get better though. Laundry service was delivered one day late, without notice. Housekeeping kept the room clean, but almost always forgot to refill or change something (water, coffee, shampoo, toilet paper etc.) Make sure you leave the DND-sign on the door at night unless you want housekeeping before 9. AM. And notify reception when you want the room cleaned. Only telling housekeeping will usually not be enough.

We liked both the gym and pool, but didn't try the spa (due to bad reviews).

We were there over Chinese New Year so the hotel was full (of chinese families). Nevertheless staff did a good job both at reception and breakfast restaurant. Breakfast was good, with plenty of choice for everybody. We foten had a table outside, which was a good alternative to a often full and noisy restaurant. We ate at Cafe Deco three times (besides breakfast) and ordered room service. We had good pizza and sandwiches. Very friendly staff.

Apart from being a good hotel, Horizon also has the advantage of a great location. Both Central Market, food night market, Sunday Market, Suria Sabah, Jesselton Jetty, Southeast Sea Sanctuary Spa, and plenty restaurants are very close. 5-10 min walk or less.

It's not the most luxurious or absolutely best hotel in KK, but good enough for a couple of days of citylife and daytrips.

Stayed February 2014
2 Thank Clara H
Puerto Princesa, Philippines
Reviewed January 31, 2014

Stayed here for five nights in early January, having come from Kuching. It was not our first stay in Kota Kinabalu.
The reviews on here vary greatly and I think I can understand both the criticisms and the praise (except those that were obviously written by people who have no clue about Asia, like "thought I was in China because of the surroundings -tosh!"
The Horizon is splendidly quirky - that crazy lamp in the lobby (the horse), and the bathtub in the room behind the bedhead. And the square teacups. Well done, better than being boring!
So my experiences, good and bad :-

Good. Smooth fast check-in, and a nice view from the Room on the P'th floor (don't say 13th). The room was city view, but not too much "city", see pics. Very pleased to find it was a good size room with one of the biggest in-room safes that I have experienced.
Bathroom/shower also roomy and towels, toilet amenities were replenished as required. I don't understand people who complain that items are not replenished, if it happens, just call housekeeping. Some of the housekeeping staff can be under a good deal of pressure and may make overlook a task.
Very impressed with the 42" TV, plus the HDMI lead and in wall connection for USB, AV leads,etc. Usual tea/coffee/water provided plus a newspaper every morning.
Beds were large (twin room) and comfortable.

Bad. Despite the hotel being quite "young" our first impression of the room was that it was very worn. I realised later that this was due,almost certainly to guests being less than careful with their luggage, etc, The room "furniture" was clearly a poor fitting out choice and had not stood up to hard use. (see pics). This, together with some less than perfect cleaning gave the room a very "tatty" look. BUT, I don't want to unfairly criticise the Housekeeping staff as they were always very busy.
Perhaps the hotel has a rotating programme for intensive cleaning of rooms (rather than the daily sweep out and make the beds) and our room was overdue to be done.
As has been commented on before, the hotel seems to cater for a lot of mainland Chinese who act somewhat differently to most fellow hotel guests that you meet in Asia. Try "googling" "Bad mannered Chinese Tourists". The Chinese tourist potential is enormous so I guess we have to get used to it. (but have you ever had your toast snatched out of your tongs at breakfast?!)
And, talking of breakfast, the area is much too small, so it's a good idea to find out from the very helpful Manager there what time is less busy.
One last point, the hotel is relatively expensive, ( I put this down to high occupancy figures keeping prices up). Our previous hotel was the Hilton in Kuching and there was very little difference in the price.

All in all, happy to go back again.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Vetus
Dear Vetus,

Thank you for your detailed review of the hotel facilities and our services. Your constructive and positive comments on our service and facilities are truly appreciated. You have highlighted specific areas that we need to address specifically on our furniture’s, cleaning and the breakfast. A scheduled cleaning program is already in place and we will continue to monitor the level of cleanliness to the highest standards.

I am so pleased you enjoyed the location of the hotel & our helpful Manager. It sounds like you also did some exploring of KK from our location, which is fabulous. Please come back again soon and we look forward to welcome you.
Warm regards,

Natalia Nadirah Saiman
Aarhus
Reviewed January 27, 2014 via mobile

Very clean and good rooms with good wifi. Smiling and helpful staff and great surroundings. The reception staff are fast and Pro. and the service provided by the staff is fast, smiling and efficient. The pool on the 5th floor is definately worth a visit as well. Only minus is the restaurant, where the food was a bit disappointing - breakfast and service is really good though. Jekkekekdifjjd død d d. G. H. Gndjdkkdkdkkj. I k i i. I. I. Jjkkkfkkrrkekkdldldoroorkfkfkfkf

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Henrik B
Horizon_Hotel_KK, Director of Sales at Horizon Hotel, responded to this review, January 29, 2014
Dear reviewer,

Thank you for choosing Horizon Hotel & Spa Kota Kinabalu Sabah on your recent visit. Your thoughts are important to us.

I appreciate the time you have taken to share your experience with us.
Such information enables us to monitor the application of our service standards while simultaneously allowing us to rectify any shortfalls.

Thank you for your positive feedback on our cleanliness of the room, swimming pool as well as our service and reception staff. Your positive feedback will certainly encourage us to continuously seek for improvement.

On your comments about the restaurant, would appreciate if you could elaborate further by e-mailing it to me at gm@horizonhotelsabah.com so that we could rectify the shortfall and improve wherever necessary.

I truly appreciate your kind patronage and look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you to the hotel in the near future.

Kind Regards,