“Centre Of Town, Good Location”
Review of Horizon Hotel

Horizon Hotel
Ranked #9 of 92 Hotels in Kota Kinabalu
Bangkok, Thailand
“Centre Of Town, Good Location”
Reviewed October 5, 2013

I stayed here for two nights during a work trip. The hotel was busy and my room was not ready for check-in, I had booked a deluxe room non smoking but due to the room not being ready I was offered a smoking room or I would have to wait a hour, so I decided to wait the hour and get some lunch from one of the many restaurants nearby. I came back after a hour and the room was still not ready and would have to wait a further 20 minutes for my room, so I declined and took the smoking room. The rooms are nicely decorated, a little small but the beds are large and the TV's are of a good size.
I had breakfast in the morning only complaint was they have no area where you can get fresh eggs prepaid however they did have pre cooked eggs in the serving dishes which were not very good yolks were too hard for my liking. The tea was also very week tasted like water. Other than those small points the hotel is nice, Good location the staff are very friendly and I would recommend this hotel to anyone passing through but if the stay is longer than a few days I would get a larger room.

Room Tip: If the stay is longer than a few days I would get a larger room.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Horizon_Hotel_KK, Director of Sales at Horizon Hotel, responded to this review, October 16, 2013
Dear thehun1314,

Thank you for choosing Horizon Hotel & Spa Kota Kinabalu Sabah on your recent visit. Your thoughts are important to us.

I appreciate the time you have taken to share your experience with us. Such information enables us to monitor the application of our service standards while simultaneously allowing us to rectify any shortfalls.

Your comment with regards to the food quality during breakfast especially about the fresh eggs ad the taste of the tea is noted and will be looked into.

I would be happy to assist with the arrangements personally to ensure an enjoyable stay next time and I would be grateful if you would contact me directly.

Natalia Nadirah Saiman

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (202)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed September 30, 2013

I visited the Horizon Hotel for the third time and stayed for 12 days. The staff were so wonderful and I felt so welcomed upon my return. The hotel was busy but I received excellent service at all times. I enjoyed the Dim Sum breakfast this time and I would highly recommend this when you visit. It is available till 2pm and was delicious. I was very happy to have chosen this hotel again and I would recommend this to anyone visiting Kota Kinabalu. I would recommend you enquire about the excellent variety of rooms which are available. There are beautifully appointed suites with lovely relaxing spa baths!

Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank patrizia s
Dear patrizia s,

I am delighted that you enjoyed your recent stay with us.

Thank you for your positive feedback on our rooms, the dim sum breakfast as well as our friendly staff. Your positive feedback will certainly encourage us to continuously seek for improvement.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Horizon Hotel & Spa Kota Kinabalu Sabah and I would be delighted to facilitate any future reservations.

Please do not hesitate to contact me.

Regards,
Reviewed September 29, 2013

We chose the four-star Horizon Hotel & Spa as it was centrally located and was rated highly by online reviewers. Arriving only at about 9.30 pm, and leaving for our Mount Kinabalu climb at 5.30am, this hotel stay was basically a rest stop and there was not much we could do at the hotel at that point. There was no time for us to lap up their nice swimming pool, nor enjoy their spa facilities. What we needed was a comfortable room and truly, the room did not disappoint. The room was clean and nicely decorated. How the wife and I wished that we could have slept in a little longer and not leaving the hotel at 5:30am for the mountain.

Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Adrian p,

I am delighted that you enjoyed your recent stay with us. Sad to know that you did not manage to explore our hotel much during your stay. I am so pleased you enjoyed the location of the hotel and the rooms. It sounds like you also did some exploring of KK from our location, which is fabulous.

I truly appreciate your kind patronage and look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Kind Regards,

Kuala Lumpur
Reviewed September 25, 2013

Hotel is quite new. We booked a deluxe room facing the sea, but was given a choice to upgrade to a Junior suite facing the city. We chose the suite. The sea view is not entirely sea view because of the buildings round the hotel. Room is clean, relatively new and big. Nice shower and bathtub. Toiletries are adequate. Service is good.However we find the colour scheme too dark and the design on the carpet makes you dizzy. It is centrally located. Walking distance to shops, restaurants and the sea front promenade. Not far from the hotel too. In KK it is advisable to stay in town near to restaurants and shops because the taxi fares are exorbitant. It costs us RM14 to travel about 3km. There is a chinese restaurant that serves good chinese food. The coffee house is nothing to shout about. All in all a good hotel to stay in.

Room Tip: Choose rooms on higher floors for a better view.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Ho Henry,

I am so pleased you enjoyed the location of the hotel It sounds like you also did some exploring of KK from our location, which is fabulous as well as your positive comments on our rooms, shower and the toiletries and the services.

Thank you so much for sharing the tip with others to book for a higher floor room, these are our most popular rooms. Your comments on the carpet and the colour scheme are noted.

Our team will be thrilled when they read your comments on this, thank you. The culinary and service teams at the Asian Restaurant will be happy to know about this.

Please come back and visit us again soon.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed September 25, 2013

This hotel was a great find. Room was very comfortable and quiet - being near the end of the hall probably helped in not hearing activity. We were lucky enough to be given a room high up and overlooking the city & sea. Bit hit and miss on room clean - some days we had face washers, some days we didn't, etc. Overall a great experience.
Centrally located. Easy walk to pretty much everything and lots of great eating places close by.
Breakfast: lots of choice but sometimes not great quality - the restaurant is super busy no matter what time you go.
Concierge were extremely helpful in arranging a taxi for our next holiday destination however, didn't have much in the way of tourist info for our stay.
Leave plenty of time to check out, as the desk gets really busy.
Would definitely recommend to a friend and would definitely stay here again if ever back in KK.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear catdidit,

I appreciate the time you have taken to share your experience with us.

Your comments with regards to the bedroom, breakfast variety, concierge are noted and will be looked into as well as the tourist info.

I truly appreciate your kind patronage and look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you to the hotel in the near future.

Fort Collins, Colorado
Reviewed September 23, 2013

The location of this hotel was very good and central, within walking distance to many restaurants and the Sunday market. The hotel was new and the deluxe room was large and comfortable. The king bed/mattress was comfortable. The bathroom was large and had a shower and bathtub. At first we thought there was only warm water, but it just required running the water for a full minute to get it up to a hotter temperature for a shower.

The breakfast was okay, quantity and variety, but not quality. The service at breakfast was good. My disappointments were little charges the hotel had, like charging to bring an ice bucket to the room, and charging for printing an airline boarding pass. The hotel also did not have a full-service tour desk as other upscale hotels in KK, and it took a while for the bellman to get a taxi for us despite being located near a taxi stand. If you don't require a high level of service, this was a comfortable and clean hotel in a very good location. If you require good service, I'd look into another hotel.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear RoColorado,

I appreciate the time you have taken to share your experience with us.

I am so pleased you enjoyed the location of the hotel. It sounds like you also did some exploring of KK from our location, which is fabulous. Your comments with regards to the ice bucket charge, the taxi, and the printing charges on the boarding pass as well as breakfast variety and quality are noted and will be looked into.

Malaysia
Reviewed September 20, 2013

good location, 1 minute walk to gaya street, 15 minutes walk to suria sabah and 20 minutes walk to ferry terminal.

hotel is new, room is very big and clean, very very very comfortable even though ours is only superior room.

don't expect for early check in or late check out as a lot of tourists stay here ( really a lot!)

breakfast is normal, you might need to wait a bit to be seated as the small restaurant can be very busy in the morning.

gym and pool both are nice. strongly suggest!!!!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Dear StanUP,

I appreciate the time you have taken to share your experience with us.

Thank you for your very warm and sincere comments, especially on our good location, big room and the cleanliness of our rooms as well as your strongly suggested pool and the gym.

I agree, sometimes our arrival and departure process is a little congested due to the high occupancy, this is an area that we need to look into. Thank you for raising this, with some focus on this area I am confident the next time you visit you will see an improvement.