“Strategic Location in KK town”
Review of Horizon Hotel

Horizon Hotel
Ranked #9 of 92 Hotels in Kota Kinabalu
Reviewed May 30, 2013

Was here last Dec 2012 after more than 10 yrs. The hotel is strategically located in the heart of KK. The waterfront and Kota Kinabalu Filipina market is walking distance. Shops, banks and eatery joints around a plenty. And the room deco is excellent...!!! Althought I only spend 1 night here, I will definately stay here again on m next visit ;-)

Room Tip: Get a room facing the sea front
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business

Reviewed May 30, 2013 via mobile

On check in we were told that we had a smoking room....which i didnt book. They appoligised and saud the only non smoking was a twin not a double but they did offerus a free upgrade to a delux room but was on the smoking floor....we took it. There is a faint smoke smell in the hall way but not in the room so was not an issue.

Room was excellent with a tube and greaf decor. Breakfast was great as was the pool. Friendly staff. Definatly stay there again

• Stayed: May 2013
Horizon_Hotel_KK, Manager at Horizon Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 26, 2013

Dear fjp1981,

Thank you for choosing Horizon Hotel & Spa Kota Kinabalu Sabah on your recent visit. Your thoughts are important to us.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your recent stay with us.

Thank you for your positive feedback with regards to the excellent service from our team members.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Horizon Hotel & Spa Kota Kinabalu Sabah and I would be delighted to facilitate any future reservations.

Please do not hesitate to contact me.

Kind regards.

Hisham Abd Samad
Sales & Marketing Manager

Reviewed May 29, 2013

I stayed at this hotel at beginning of May. The hotel lobby is acceptable but don't expect anything luxurious. It is a small business hotel. The rooms are comfortable but some amenities (like bathrobes) were missing when we checked in and we had to call housekeeping. The lobby restaurant (Deco Cafe and Bar) had flies and the food for breakfast was not very fresh. The hotel had no water for several days and we could not understand how a so-called four stars hotel could not rectify the piping problem. None of the other hotels on the same row of road or location had water problems. We could not flush the toilets, bathe, etc. They kept moving us from higher to lower floors but still the water was trickling for rooms from the 4th floor downwards. From 6th floor upwards, the taps were all dry. The hotel manager was apologetic but it spoiled our holiday. The bell boys and housekeeping staff were cheerful and helpful. The spa was not good value for money. The location of this hotel is good. But for the cost we paid, this hotel was not worth it! I paid more than RM 650 for three days and two nights stay.

Room Tip: Lower room has better water pressure
3  Thank Mary M
Horizon_Hotel_KK, General Manager at Horizon Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 12, 2013

Dear Ms Mary M,

Thank you very much for posting your review on your stay with us.
Your feedback is always welcomed and greatly appreciated.

It is with much regret to know of the unpleasant experience you had during your stay.

I would like extend my apology for the disruption of the water supply.
We were doing our level best to rectify the problem and it took longer than expected.
Water supply was made available to all floors at intervals.

We regret that the odd fly does find it’s way into the restaurant by way of the terrace door being opened with guests going in and out. We are very particular with every safety and health aspect and we maintain the high standards of cleanliness and hygiene in the restaurants and hotel premises.

We take all comments seriously and you can rest assure we will improve on our service and we hope to welcome you back to Horizon Hotel again.

Kind regards,

Philip D.Theseira

Reviewed May 27, 2013

We stayed in this set up for a night on 25 May 2013 after returning from our Mount Kinabalu Expedition. We were given an upgrade to the Executive room. Anything is a luxury after the harsh dormitory type accommodation up in the mountain, had a really good night rest. The location is most strategic with Sunday morning market a stone throw away near to local eateries.

The room is most spacious with modern designs and elegant furnishings, well-equipped kitchen, a bath tub tucked inside the room, though the of the bath tub size is not so functional.

Wide selection at the buffet breakfast and room is reasonably priced.

Reviewed May 23, 2013 via mobile

Walking distance to almost everywhere within the city of KK. The old food and night bazaar street is within touch outside the hotel, hooping in a cafe is so hassles-free., Delightful detail of interior for the money paid. Definitely a great value choice for a 4+ stars hotel in the area.

• Stayed: March 2013
Reviewed May 16, 2013

quite pleased with the breakfast spread and room. Generally quite clean and i like the ceiling shower. Cool! Wifi is strong and they have in spa, room, lobby, cafe, etc.. but different password for each location. Love the spa. Very reasonable rates and hotel guests get 10% discount. Did foot reflexology and traditional full body massage. Was shocked that we need to take off all our clothes including underwear for massage. Never did this before. You can request for male or female masseur. Being a shy lady, i requested a female but heard most people request male masseurs. During foot reflex, power was cut off halfway. Was watching TV and using my mobile but wifi was also cut off for about 20mins while they fix the power thing. Overall, enjoyable stay and the Sunday market is just next to the hotel. Enjoyed shopping the sunday market most among all shopping malls and markets.

Room Tip: choose higher floors for better view.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 15, 2013

We stayed in Horizon Hotel for 3 nights from 6-9May, location is perfect, we were able to stroll around the famous local eateries in short walking distance.

Bed was comfy but my pillow smells awful from day 1, luckily I found a replacement in the wardrobe...wonder if the pillow case has been changed since the last guest...Saw a long blonde hair on the floor when I checked in, but I'm a Chinese...

I wish I could see the smiling face of the Front Desk staff, however, I never did...maybe I'm spoiled by the Thailand friendly, smiley hospitality...I wonder why they always like to escape from your sight, really let me down.

I only used the pool once, there are 3 sun beds only along the small pool.

Agreed with some of the reviews regarding the buffet breakfast, enough variety, but this is the first time I stayed in hotel that I gave up eating on the last moring, as I felt so bored of eating their breakfast.

Honestly, I suggest anyone who like to stay in the city of KK and is interested in local foodies, could book their room without breakfast, so you could go explore the real food in Kota Kinabalu.