“A comfortable and Pleasant Stay”
Review of Horizon Hotel

Horizon Hotel
Ranked #8 of 92 Hotels in Kota Kinabalu
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“A comfortable and Pleasant Stay”
Reviewed October 15, 2012

I was stay in Horizon KK for 2 nights with my partner
This hotel is just located in the center of the KK town. Go to Jetty is only 10 mins walking distance and pass by the Suria Sabah Shopping Complex. Behind the hotel have KK central market and handcraft market(Philipino Market).
From Airport Terminal 2 to Hotel is only 15 mins and cost rm20-30 (KK Sabah Taxi is Costly)
I check in the room with northern china sea view. King Size bed pamper me a comfy sleep.
Hotel Gym and swimming pool is located at 6th floor, gym room is very outstanding and complete.
Hotel staff is friendly still there are welcoming

Room Tip: Choose the room with the sea view. That is awesome
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (201)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Bad Pyrmont, Germany
Reviewed October 13, 2012

We arrived in the middle of the night and received a friendly welcome. The strangest feature upon entering the hotel is a big plastic horse with a lamp shade on its head. We had asked for the highest floor with a sea view and got room 1111. Unfortunately the big post office block and a half burned out old building spoilt the view of some beautiful sunsets but it was still possible to watch the activities in the harbor. The size of the “deluxe” room was not too bad. It had a desk with a swivel chair and because we stayed for 14 days we had a second chair brought to the room. We also got extra coat hangers and a double plug. The staff was really helpful and our wishes were fulfilled immediately. The bed was very comfortable and a good mattress guaranteed good night’s sleep. We loved the location. Everything you need is nearby, the markets, shops and lots of eateries, yet you don’t hear any noise in the room. It also had a good size shower but there is a shelf missing over the sink. The make-up mirror didn’t help as the light was really bad. We were not too impressed with the service at breakfast. The hotel was very busy with travelers who only stayed a night or 2 nights. Therefore the seating at breakfast was sometimes limited and the staff often hardly found time to serve coffee or tea. The breakfast buffet was ok trying to satisfy European and Asian tastes but the hot dishes were always luke warm to cold. We didn’t make use of the good size pool or the gym. The space around the pool was very restricted. Only 3 lounge chairs were available. We tried both the Deco Café and the Asian and liked the food and atmosphere. The prices were reasonable but the tables were most uncomfortable because they had no leg room. The same goes for the benches in the Deco café. There is no way that you can sit on them comfortably for any length of time. Therefore we didn’t want to stay too long. All in all it is a good hotel and we wouldn’t hesitate to come back.

Room Tip: as high as possible, facing the sea
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank dasreiseteam
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed October 7, 2012

The walls were paper thin... we could hear the people in the next room when they were just doing things like rustling through plastic bags!! We were just lucky they didn't watch TV very often or get up for an early morning flight... (Sorry to our neighbours when we did have a 5am start!) Maybe not all the rooms are like this.. ours was one with a connecting door.
A couple of other minor snags... they would only provide us with one keycard for the room. They just didn't have enough cards. This was a pain because if one of us went out without the other we had to ask in the lobby every time we wanted to go up the lift (which needed a card swiped to work) and it was a pain when my husband was going cycling and I was going shopping and ofcourse the one of us without the key got back first.
Also wifi was only in the lobby, not in the room.
The staff in the lobby and in the breakfast restaurant were all so friendly and obliging but I just can't rate Horizon higher.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Horizon_Hotel_KK, Manager at Horizon Hotel, responded to this review, October 10, 2012
Dear Eve H ,

Thank you very much for posting your review about your recent stay with us in Kota Kinabalu, your feedback is always welcomed and greatly appreciated.

I am very pleased to know that you enjoyed your stay with us and I will certainly pass your kind words onto the team.

On behalf of the Horizon Hotel team, we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Christchurch, New Zealand
Reviewed October 2, 2012

Really liked staying here, clean, spacious, comfortable, the staff were friendly and helpful. Enjoyed the buffet breakfast, drinks at the bar and the infinity pool was great after walking around in the humidity and heat. Very central so you can walk around the central city easily

Dear Jackie99_12 ,

Thank you very much for taking the time to post your review and recent experience at the Horizon Hotel Kota Kinabalu. Your feedback is always welcomed and helpful.

I am extremely pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and in Sabah. Sabah is a unique destination with lots of hidden treasures and places of interest to explore.

On behalf of the Horizon Hotel Team, we all look forward to welcome you back with us again soon.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed October 2, 2012

This hotel provided a fabulous location as well as luxury accommodation. The facilities are of a very high standard and the customer service was excellent. The hotel is in walking distance to the main shopping precinct and eateries and is easily accessible in the city area. I found the pool, gym and spa to be a fabulous asset to this hotel. The rooms are very comfortable and include sarongs, robes and slippers. The finishes throughout the hotel are of a high standard and I was most impressed with the overall quality this hotel provides its guests. I would recommend it to anyone wanting to visit this interesting city.

Room Tip: My room was very quiet... and the ocean view was wonderful...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Dear patrizia s ,

Penang Island, Malaysia
Reviewed September 24, 2012

This is probably a very unique review firstly I am local KK lad so not only this is the first time I am staying in hotel in KK but I also I had my wedding reception here in Horizon Hotel at the same time.

First thing I must say is the service is excellent, every single of the staff was friendly from the time you enter all the way to simple room service. They seem to make it a point to pro-actively find ways to make your stay satisfy like taking the time to chat and reassuring that the event would go well when I was running around madly and eagerly taking extra effort to make sure I am aware of all the wonderful amenities. All these really made me felt welcome. The gym is pretty decent for the hotel size and the pool offers a good view of the City facing towards the sea. Had a truly wonderful time dealing with Nena and she was excellent in her service.

Location is also a big plus, it sits literally in the center of town. It is right one end of Gaya Street so a nice stroll is only a minute a way with tons of local delicacy within 10 minutes walking distance and access to multiple convenience store. I really enjoy taking an evening stroll around town, even was able to order Satay right across the street. The overhead bridge towards the market is also just behind the hotel while the night market is about 10 minutes walk. The port to island hoping is about 15 minutes away and en route you would pass by multiple banks too. In terms of KK city exploration this is definitely the best location especially if you like to walk around.

Breakfast was good amount of choice considering the size just like how a previous reviewer put it just right. It was all tasty and had a KK taste to it especially the noodles, which suits me perfectly.

The hotel did offer internet access through LAN cable but would have prefer if they offered WiFi since it would be pretty nice to lay back while surfing. I was told they are looking to add WiFi in the future. Parking is free but it is slightly compact. No real negative but I reckon the review would carry more weight if don't sound like I am over promoting. Just show how much of a great time I had staying here.

For the room, family stayed a night at the Superior and it was spacious and of course everything had a new modern interior. If you like rooms that has modern look then you will definitely fancy this place. The whole hotel was clean and obviously felt really new. Stayed 2 nights at the Grand Deluxe Suite which was simply sublime. Definitely one of the best rooms I have stayed, ever. Even being a local lad I will definitely plan a mini honey moon trip here again.

Dear DouglasCheah,

Hong Kong, China
Reviewed September 24, 2012

New hotel with the best location, apart from bathrobes, two sarongs (male & female) are provided, its an interesting experenice to try on for fun as they are attached with drawing illustrations which is very easy to follow. The sarong served me good when I proceed up and down to their pool. The pool is a little bit small but as not much guest swims there (however, there are always people drinking at the pool side bar), its fine for me. Buffet breakfast is nice with refilling all thro' the breakfast area, staffs are nice and will remind the guest if its nearly finish and will let us stay for the unfinished coffee. I believe the management did a good job and I always find the "Big Boss" checking around and briefing the staffs.
Only one black drop: the water pressure of both the rain shower and "normal shower" are very weak, and the shower pump was very noisy. I need to take shower at the pool's changing room for several times.

Room Tip: Basic superior rooms are fine enough
3 Thank mcmagmcmag