“Excellent meal wonderful waitress”
Review of Flames

Flames
Ranked #374 of 599 Restaurants in Kota Kinabalu
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: Private Dining, Reservations
Description: Flames Steak Restaurant opens daily, and is Kota Kinabalu's only international steak restaurant that caters to fine diners during lunch and dinner from 12pm - 2.30pm and 6.30pm - 10pm. Flames' sophisticated concept of casual, stylish crafts a great quality of food, showcasing the chef's signature steaks, truly for the serious palates of Kota Kinabalu city's steak aficionados.
Reviewed January 5, 2014

We visited the flame restaurant in the hotel as we suffer from food intolerances and were unsure of the local cuisine and were pleasantly surprised by the fantastic service and delicious food. My daughter had linguine and I had the cod with mushrooms, both were excellent. Upon arrival our waitress, Leeza remembered I was allergic to wheat and milk and brought out complimentary bread and dips for my daughter and organised for gluten free bread for me. Her consideration and helpful service was really appreciated, the fish was perfectly cooked and the live piano was a wonderful touch to a delightful evening.

Reviewed May 3, 2013

I went for dinner at Flames on my own, as I was staying at Le Meridien for a business trip. Overall, my dining experience at Flames was very average. The first impression I got from that place was not very good: basically, the restaurant consists of 8 tables in a small area off the lobby lounge; I had to ask the waitress to make sure that this was the restaurant. The menu clearly lacks variety; for a steakhouse I would expect them to have more than 3 cuts on their menu! They also offer some seafood and pasta. The food was of average quality, and generally lacked taste. On the positive side, portions tend to be generous, and the staff are trying hard to make the customers happy. But given the average food quality and average dining experience for a steakhouse, I am unlikely to return again.

1  Thank Patrick0629
Reviewed February 12, 2013

My wife and I went here while visiting KK for CNY. Had the aged angus ribeye and she had the Australian ribeye, both came with sauce, roasted potatoes (au gratin without the cheese) and grilled mushrooms. Steaks were ok, not as juicy as big name steakhouses in the US but probably some of the best you will get in Borneo. Wine tasting menu was good and reasonably priced (three 50ml portions for rm35). Service was a bit slow as they seem to be understaffed and desserts aren't worth saving space for (chocolate raspberry mousse was ok but fruits were right out of a can).

Give it a try if you really crave steak and tablecloth service, otherwise venture out into town for some really good food for a much lower price.

Not a place for kids.

1  Thank DharmaDV
Reviewed January 28, 2013

I also spent NYE at Flames and agree that they were drastically understaffed and therefore service was poor but our food was still very good. I would not return for NYE but i have eaten there on 2 other occasions and really enjoyed the experience. With the exception of NYE we enjoyed good service, good food, lovely atmosphere and very comfortable chairs. If you are looking for a convenient up market dining experience then its well worth a visit. Although its certainly not a cultural experience. Located in the lobby area of Le Meridien you could be in any 5 star hotel any where in the world but they don't pretend to be anything other than this which is fair enough ! My 5 Stars represent my 2 visits and not NYE.

Reviewed January 2, 2013 via mobile

To be fair- we stayed at the Le Meridien and had a nice experience the first set of dates and a terrible one after we returned from an excursion.

We went to Flames on NYE for their set 5 course dinner. We let our daughter get the set too for the first time. The cost was 250++MYR/person.

3 of our daughters courses arrived a full 10 minutes before ours- she wasn't comfortable eating without us so it just sat.

The poached chicken appetizer was still very pink and tasted like what I would imagine raw chicken would taste like. Everything else was ok until the main course- which arrived cold. The stuffed zucchini was appallingly bad. The steak tasted ok- but was cold.

There was another family with children that arrived after us- they had eaten their entire meal, settled the bill and were gone before our daughter for her dessert- ours following 10 minutes later. It took nearly 3 hours for our meal- our son did not manage very well while we waited roughly 15-30 minutes between courses.

Flames is overpriced- guessing that has to do with being in an expensive hotel- they were seriously understaffed for a very busy NYE, the food was mediocre at best and the F&B manager really doesn't seem to care if you give him business or not.

Our bill was over $400.00usd with food and drinks.

I'm sure they get it right sometimes- it was a very busy night- and I'm already a bit jaded by our poor experience with the hotel. Just so disappointing to spend so much for NYE dinner and walk away feeling completely dissatisfied.

1  Thank OregonianExpats