Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
Martin K
Banbury, United Kingdom

the best

5.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed Aug 7, 2015
just stayed here yet again because so clean and welcoming. best location in kk and one of the cheapest. certainly no bedbugs. would never stay anywhere else in kk even though I have in the past. go on give it a try you will not be disappointed
Date of stay: July 2015
    $98
  • Vio.com
0.4 miles from Asia Adventure Lodge
View more hotels in Kota Kinabalu
See what travelers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed June 4, 2015 via mobile

I spent one night in this hostel and it all looked so good in the beginning...
I arrived about 9pm and had a warm welcome. The lady in the hostel was chatty and nice. I had the dorm all for myself. The hostel looks pretty good, old but alright. I have seen worse!
But... After a short sleep, a woke up, itchy and wondering what was going on. I looked around and discovered spots of blood on the sheets and I saw bed bugs. Many of them!
I jumped out of bed and went to look for some body to help me out. In the kitchen were two guys and I asked if they were from the hostel, they said yes and I asked them to take a look in my dorm and bed. So they did and one of them went to wake up the lady. She was not amused and even after looking in my bed, she kept saying it couldn't be bed bugs.
She said that I could sleep in another bed in the room. Which was no option for me, because there were so many bed bugs in bed and on the ground.
I dropped all my stuff in the kitchen and started sorting things out. One off the guys stayed up all night with me (it turned out that he was also a guest. But he was more helpful than the lady...). The lady went to sleep again.
Early in the morning I went down stairs to ask if she could start doing the laundry. The lady said yes but eventually she started doing it around midday or later, so I had to wait a long time for my laundry.
What worried me was that the lady didn't take the problem of the bed bugs serious. Like she wanted me to sleep in another bed, in the room full of bed bugs and she only washed the sheets and thought that was enough.
When I was about to go I wanted to discuss the amount of money that I had to pay for that night and the laundry. However it would me fair to give a big discount (no sleep, itchy, and a massive laundry I did not plan to do) she didn't. While I was trying to talk to her about the price she kept saying she was tired, she tried to talk about something else, she ignored my questions and explanations. Before I got really angry I gave her the money and left. Happy to be never coming back, but unhappy and angry about the experience.
It's sad that a lovely lady like she was in the beginning, acts like this when there is a problem.
I would say: avoid Asia Adventure Lodge...!!!

Date of stay: June 2015
1  Thank MliekeC
Reviewed May 17, 2015 via mobile

We stayed here for 1 night, having read the mixed reviews, we thought we'd make our own opinion.
On arrival, the receptionist didnt speak much English and couldn't find our booking, so he called the manager. After going over our details several times, she confirmed there was a room available for us. I think they may have double booked, as we paid for a double, but got a family room.
The room had a double and a set of bunk beds. Not much walking space (just along the double). And it hadn't been cleaned, as there was paper on the desk and I found several hairs on the bed, one on the bunks was a pubic hair. I know that when I've washed sheets at home, a little head hair (as mine is long) can get caught up in bedding, but these were on top of the pillows and sheets.
We went out to get some snacks, and came back to a locked door. Well it wasn't actually locked, but a piece of wood rested against it to prevent it from opening. The buzzer didn't work, but eventually the receptionist let us in.
When we returned to the room, we were greeted by a bed bug. I've never seen one before, so googled it and my suspicions were confirmed. I fumigated the room and hoped for the best. The air con in the room is great, as is wifi, however there is a locally bar which apparently had karaoke every night, which is excessively loud and goes on until the early hours. Also the lodge has no windows or walls in the "kitchen", so the noise is almost invited in.
Breakfast was different. We're used to the usual toast, jam marg etc, but we were served stale bread (no toaster), alongside cooking butter and an unidentifiable jam. I think I'd have preferred no breakfast.
Showers were good, nice and powerful, probably the best thing about this place.
Overall, we didn't enjoy the stay and couldn't wait to get out & away from the bugs. I wouldn't recommend to anyone.

Date of stay: May 2015
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 19, 2015 via mobile

We stayed here for one night after returning from a jungle wildlife tour and were disappointed. The windowless room smelled really musty and the bathroom was a bit gross. Someone had left a used sanitary towel on the back of the cistern and it remained there for our stay until I couldn't take it any more and threw it out myself! We had previously stayed outside of town at Borneo Swiss guesthouse and for 20 ringitt more had a lovely clean room with a private bathroom. The location is a plus as we were able to take a short walk to the mall and seafront and it's close to the airport shuttle. On the whole, if you're just looking after the pennies then this place is perfect but if you're looking for any level of comfort or cleanliness then pay a bit more to get it.

Date of stay: April 2015
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 19, 2015

Just spent 5 weeks at this lodge, last year 4 weeks, and had amazing stay, mainly due to the owners. The owner Sheila and her mother are the nicest and most helpful people you will ever meet. Excellent location and very clean, you must stay here

Room tip: One of the cheapest hostels in town
Date of stay: March 2015
  • Trip type: Traveled solo
2  Thank S7141ZXmartink
Reviewed November 16, 2014 via mobile

A Cheap one, just 20rm nett. Very kindly owner, hot mama mrs seilla, her nice daughter, all staff very warmest...especially muhammad from NTT Indonesia, near everywhere, reflexi, airport bus, city bus, signal hill, atkinson clock tower, hallal food restaurant, pcbc atm, kfc, burger king, cheap internet cafe and amusement kiosk just opposite, in gaya street sunday market. Toilette is clean, room is clean, free towel, free high wifi, next of convienence store, cheap price for snack and can drink buy in lodge, free toast tea, good and open heart neigbour uncle pon from canada

Date of stay: November 2014