“Nice but not great”

Peppino at Shangri-La's Tanjung Aru Resort and Spa
Ranked #46 of 659 Restaurants in Kota Kinabalu
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Located in Shangri-La’s Tanjung Aru Resort and Spa, Peppino’s is amongst Kota Kinabalu’s treasured culinary locations for Italian fine dining. Touted as one of Malaysia’s Best Restaurants since 2002, Peppino’s promises patrons impeccable authentic Italian cuisine complemented by unforgettable Shangri-La hospitality.
Reviewed October 29, 2012

It's just too expensive for pasta. Maybe I don't know how to appreciate good Italian, but the whole thing just didn't blow me away as I had hoped. As soon as dinner was over, we headed to the lobby bar for some extra drinks, snacks and ambiance.

1  Thank Pacifico W

Reviewed September 10, 2012

This new(ish) Peppino chef is first rate, food is now excellent with a sensible short & delicious menu.
Chef is always around checking you are happy, its like a Chef-Patron place, wonderful.
Service/ atmosphere remain good as ever

Reviewed August 29, 2012

Peppinos is a plush restaurant at the Shangrila with excellent service levels, but the meal served for the price was not so good. Instead of ordering from the menu my husband decided to inquire from the waitress if the chef could prepare the prawns in a garlic butter sauce. He forgot to mention the chilly powder so they were very bland. We were given red crushed chillies to add as a sprinkler, but the quality of the prawn was not so good; they were quite tough. The portion size was also quite small. The chef made a special appearance to enquire about the food and when he saw that we were not too impressed, we were served a complimentary dessert, which wasn’t too good either.

1  Thank ProudlyDurbs
Reviewed August 24, 2012

Its not often that you come across a restaurant that is able to balance the formal, elegant yet professional ambience of fine-dining, with the warmth of accomodating, attentive and pleasant service.
In my experience, Peppino can meet this balance with little effort on a consistent basis.

Having dined there on a number of occasions, I am confident in recommending this restaurant to anyone looking for that special something for your special events. Be it a birthday celebration, company dinner, or even an intimate dinner for 2, the staff at Peppino will make it happen. The food is prepared with a passion by Sicilian Chef Salvatore Coco; his note-wothy dishes include Bucatini with sardines in saffron sauce, and spaghetti siciliana. But I must say that the absolute best item in the menu (and my favorite) is the Braised Lamb Shanks, cooked to tender perfection with a beautiful red wine sauce to go with it!

If wine is your thing, you will enjoy the excellent wine recommendation by the staff. They are friendly and go out of their way to help you have a good time.

All in all, I highly recommend this restaurant and look forward to my next visit there!

Reviewed July 8, 2012 via mobile

Was here last holiday with my relatives and dining in Peppino was the best experience I ever had in Sabah. Love the humorous chef. Love the atmosphere. Love the food. The lamb shank and ribeye steak was simply fantastic. The beef carpaccio thereis a good starter. My relative had a antipasto misto with variety of selection on it. The tomato soup was fine. The variety of pastas in the menu making it hard for us to choose because everything looked delicious. Their homemade pasta parpadelle is recommended. My wife had a pesto penne with chicken and my in laws shared a seafood risotto. Seafood are really fresh and sweat as my son had in his seafood plate. We had a fan looking pizza called sopresa which was very delightful. Dessert could do a little better but it was fulfilling never the less. Definitely recommend others to try and planning on come back here on our next holiday.