“stuff would do everything for u to make u feel comfortable and that u have an unforgettable trip to sabah!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Bunibon Lodge

Bunibon Lodge
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 16, 2012

good value for money. rooms are clean, beds and breakfast like all over malaysia. cozy lounge with tv. wifi is very good.
big PLUS: the stuff! if u have any questions or need to organize something: they will help u and let u experience the real sabah! they also offer trips kinabatangan for rainforest experience, to sepilok orang utan sanctuary and trips to the mount kinabalu nationalpark. their tourguide putra is very competent, no question about sabah and its wildlife he couldn't answer.
victor and josephine care about every single guest and they make u feel like at home at bunibon!
I highly recommend this hostel!

• Stayed December 2012
5 Thank julizz1008

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 16, 2012

BUNIBON LODGE was a very good hostel to stay(budget stay). It very cheap!!,
awesome staff(very kind and friendly),the most i like about BUNIBON LODGE are the lounge and kitchen(you can cook also the rest area very wide).

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
6 Thank CoCoAdvent
Halifax
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 9, 2012

Our 2 nights in bunibon were great. When we arrived the staff were immediately great with us, really friendly.
The room was basic and exactly what we needed. The shared bathroom was clean and never busy, so could away grab a shower when wanted.
The lodge Is about 5-10 min walk away from all the shops, bars and restaurant, so great location to go explore.

The lodge has a cosy common room area where you can enjoy coffee and breakfast or chill out with music or a film.

The staff were always on hand to help. They really make this place what it is.
One of the guys , Prince, was especially helpful. We booked a day trip island hopping and he sorted it all out for us. He came with us and was our guide for the day, loading us with facts and pointing things out to us that we would of otherwise missed.
He even took us to the airport the next day.

• Stayed December 2012
5 Thank Lawsnewby
Sydney, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 6, 2012

Me and a friend traveled here and stayed only 1 night. We paid 55MR for a twin room with a bunk bed which is an acceptable price. The room was small although comfortable with airconditioning. The room had a shower which we were informed was just for decoration and non functional, it was in the corner of the room and looked odd as the room did not have an attached bathroom.

I encountered problems later in the evening when I decided to shower in the communal bathroom to discover there was no water coming from the faucet. I informed the staff who were very apologetic and agreed to refund half the portion of our money. They said there was a problem and no water was available and this can happen sometimes in the rainy season. However the next day when we checked out, we were only refunded 10MR. I was quite angry about this as I had been out walking all day in high humidity and was really smelly and in need of a good wash. The staff did provide me with a bucket of cold water they had managed to get from somewhere so I could clean and they were very sympathetic and understanding of my needs. I understand that sometimes these unforseen circumstances can occur.

The breakfast consisted of toast and jam with tea and coffee but the toaster did not work so I ended up having bread and jam. Also I thought the kitchen should have been cleaner.

The only other downside was that I was awoken at 5am by other travelers checking into the reception and some music that was playing from the staff area. When I awoke the staff member did turn the music down and had been unaware that we could hear the noise from the bedroom.

On the plus side the location is fantastic and the staff are warm and friendly but I would not stay here again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank zeg81
Manila
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 4, 2012

This is one of very few "poor" ratings I have given out to establishments we've stayed at. I generally like to be positive and highlight the good, but unfortunately there just wasn't a lot of that with or experience.

Let's start off with the good, then. The staff were great, very kind, knowledgeable about the area and quick to reply to my emails. They looked disappointed with our decision to leave but they didn't give me a hard time about it, so kudos to them. The location is also pretty good, close to Gaya street and it's many establishments and about a 15 minute walk to the Jesselton Waterfront (where you take boats to the Tunku Abdul Rahman Marine Park)

Now the bad. My wife and I perhaps have a higher standard of "clean", but overall I wouldn't say the room was clean. The bedroom was clean enough I suppose, if by clean you mean sparse. There was only a single table to put stuff on, and nothing else, not even a chair to sit on. The walls had smears of dirt on them, and the door looked like it was painted in a a rush, with splatters of paint overlapping each other.

The bathroom was most definitely on the grotty side, with moss covering parts of the sink and the window (which was perpetually slightly open). There were dirt stains on the walls of the bathroom too. Similar to the bedroom, there wasn't anything to hang a towel or place your toiletries on, no shelves or railings whatsoever, just 1 measly hook on the wall. Considering KK is a beach destination, one wonders how the hostel owners expect their guests to dry their towels?

The bed was decent enough, though the comforter was strangely too short for it. I also suspect that there were bedbugs, as I got the telltale bumps on my legs soon after we left the hotel. I don't have any specific evidence mind you, but the evidence certainly points int hat direction. Sleep would have been okay, except the ultra thin walls let a lot of noise through. The room next door had the creakiest door, so every time someone entered or exited there was a CREEEEAAAAAAAK! At one point in the evening someone was starting a motorcycle on the road, and the sound filtered through into our room. There was also a nonstop television playing through the slightly ajar bathroom window until the wee hours of the morning. Suffice it to say that we did not sleep well.

I know this is a budget location and a hostel, but I don't think that we were expecting too much for the price. We stayed in the Old Penang Guesthouse last year for about 20 ringgit more, and encountered none of these issues. I'm sure we could have found a better guesthouse for a slightly higher price, but as it was we decided not to take any chances and booke the rest of our stay at the Kinabalu Daya Hotel, which turned out to be loads better and only slightly more expensive thanks to agoda.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ryansumo
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2012

A friend & I stayed here the other day & we had a pleasant enough time. The guest house is in a good area with lots of dining & shops around. The room was quite small but big just big enough to get both our packs in there so it wasn't a major issue. The staff are not unfriendly, just indifferent for the most part. They don't chat or show you around, you pay, get your key & find your own way. Do NOT book any tours with the "tour desk" the guy has half of an idea whats going on at best & the prices are exhorbitant! If you want to do anything in sandakan especially just book when you get there! As a side note, Borneo Backpackers across the street has a fantastic breakfast & Borneo white coffee, try it out :)

• Stayed November 2012
2 Thank lapecorella
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2012 via mobile

The thing that stands out the most and really made our experience was the helpful staff. We showed up with very little planned and within a day Putra had figured out a pretty epic itinerary that fit what we were looking for. He didn't send us on coach bus tours but rather small, intimate private experiences that really gave us a sense for Sabah. I highly recommend doing a longhouse trip as well - one of the highlights for sure!

Facilities are clean, location is really good and walking distance to all attractions.

As with any backpackers, standard things apply - no hot water, no secure lockers for our stuff, and bathrooms were outside the room. But for the $20 usd or so we paid for our private room, I think we found a gem!

• Stayed September 2012