“Curfew”
Review of Lucy Homestay

Lucy Homestay
“Curfew”
Reviewed December 17, 2013 via mobile

Its not easy finding a good and cheap place in kk. From what i saw, lucy was "the best". Well, least bad. Not the cheapest around the area as well.

Curfew at midnight is a deal-breaker for me.

My room was clean and large enough, but walls are thin.

Lucy seemed very tired and a little grumpy. Not very welcoming.

All in all i would say: OK

Stayed December 2013, traveled solo

Families
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed November 25, 2013 via mobile

Despite the other reviews, we loved Lucy. Indeed, this place is not a party hostel and she has some rules, but mainly because she wants to make sure everyone can have a decent night of sleep. She helped us planning our 2day trip to Poring and mt Kinabalu Park (even while she offers a daytrip herself) and after our trip she made us feel coming home. There are two showers, unfortunately only cold water, but it gets pretty warm in KK so I didn't mind. Location is perfect! Everything' s within walking distance. I loved this place. Thanks, Lucy!

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank AnnekeMR
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed October 16, 2013

We found this place after wandering around for a bit and finding no one else had any vacancy. It seemed like it had a lot of character, cute, and would be good for a couple of nights. Upon arrival Lucy was very welcoming to us, introducing us to her two cats and seemed to be an accommodating host. That all ended around 8pm when we were shusshed and told to move our conversation to the balcony. 8pm? This continued as one of our group asked if we could have blankets for our beds because there weren't any and Lucy rolled her eyes and gave her a look like she just ruined her year.

The next day we needed a day to do research, make bookings, etc. so we were in the common area for most of the day. Lucy did help arrange a transfer to the bus station for the following day but almost seemed obliged to do it. Around 5pm Lucy came over to our group of 4 who were either working on computers and talking and said, "I thought I was clear about this before. If you want to talk got to the balcony!" I said to her, I'm sorry I thought that was just in the evenings and she replied. "I've had to listen to you all talk all day and my head is pounding.

I now write this review, banished to the balcony with my friends to talk quietly to each other before the sun has even set for the day. On top of everything else she has made these "Rules", some are posted on the walls, some you don't know you are breaking until she scolds you.

It is obvious that Lucy is just doing this now to pay the bills and has had enough with running a guesthouse. It is time for her to either retire or sell her business to someone else.

On a more specific note, the location is good, 10 minute walk to the night market. Shower's only have cold water. Breakfast includes 4 pieces of toast each with peanut butter, jam, etc. and coffee. Walls are thin and doors don't go to the top and you are right next to a fairly busy street so it can be quite noisy. She does have a cute little library to chill in. She offers tours to many things around Sabah, not sure about pricing as we didn't book through her. Rooms are decent sized, mattresses aren't that comfortable and my wife even had to get a new mattress because it was so thin.

P.S. The picture for this on Trip Advisor is not correct.

Room Tip: Rooms 5 and 6 are not on the street, may be quieter.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Tyrannosaurus_Ross

Travelers are raving about these Kota Kinabalu hotels

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed October 16, 2013

This review is currently being written from the balcony at Lucy's Homestay where I have been banished along with 3 other travellers for talking inside at 5pm! Staying here was one of the most uncomfortable experiences of my 8 months of travel. At first glance it seems like a very homely little place run by a smiley Malay woman. As soon as you scratch the surface you reveal the reality of a military camp run by someone who resembles a combination of an old school master and a drill sergeant. In this relaxing homely guesthouse you are not allowed to talk inside, nor are you allowed to sit at the table unless you are eating (silently), nor are you really allowed to show any signs that you might be enjoying yourself! On our first night we were told to be quiet at 8pm, this morning we were removed from the breakfast table when we still hadn't finished our drinks and as I have already said we have just been kicked out for talking inside during the day. For 23MYR for a bed the facilities here are more than adequate but I would never stay here again simply because Lucy makes everyone feel so incredibly uncomfortable!! If you choose to stay here...good luck!

Room Tip: Stay at another guesthouse!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank danigross88
Amsterdam, Noord-Holland, Netherlands
Reviewed September 16, 2013

I wouldn't go here. Beds were dirty (suspected bedbugs), a fan that sounded like a chopper, right next to busy roads and cats everywhere. Lucy booked all sorts of trips for me but was not very keen on it. Maybe it as the boring people but I hated it...

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Evelien R
Reviewed September 13, 2013 via mobile

I believe we have stayed in around 60 different hostels / hotels in SE Asia this year and never have we felt so uncomfortable in our accommodation. The place is ok for the money, very thin walls and only mesh at the top but the real problem in this place is with the staff. I say staff, we were amazed that the lady who seemed to be running the place was Lucy herself. Her attitude was appalling and after our first hour we couldn't wait to find alternative accommodation. Unfortunately KK seemed full so we had to endure several days of being told off for various things such as not closing doors quietly enough and other such nonsense. It's almost funny how many laminated rules there are pinned up around the place, if you are planning to stay here just make sure you are aware if them all before you get into trouble. Could not reccomend this place at all unless in dire need.

• Stayed September 2013
Reviewed July 23, 2013

We stayed a couple og nights at Lucys homestay and did not feel welcome. The host running the homestay is very strict, for example she doesn't like it when people talk to loud in the living room.
The homestay is located next to a very busy and noisy street, depending on what room you get it can be very loud and har to sleep.

• Stayed August 2012