“Good Food, Lousy Service”

Kak Nong Restaurant
Ranked #266 of 659 Restaurants in Kota Kinabalu
Cuisines: Malaysian
Dining options: Breakfast
Description: This is a classic favourite with KK locals. They've been open for many years and won the Sabah Tourism "best Kopitiam" restaurant twice now. But they've just moved their restaurant into downtown and should now be included in the visitor listings. It's absolutely one of the best places to eat in KK.
Reviewed January 27, 2013

Variety food, pastries and must say ABC's offered in the afternoon. I would say authentic Malay food and a little bit of Indonesion touch. List it in your must try restaurant in KK if you are a food explorer and aiming for authentic malay cuisine.
Food, ambience was good, although it is quite warm with the afternoon sunny weather above us. One BIG thing which totally spoilt the whole beautiful experience, "SERVICE"! Service is becoming from Bad to WORST. From the point of asking for menu up to ordering food and so forth.. the only time they will be attentive and fast, is during payment. Staff doesn't SMILE, items requested comes very slow! And the list goes on........ Oh dear.. Kak Nong.. please please improve your SERVICE!
This trip is truly Disappointing! Overall rating, Food-Average Service-Poor

1  Thank flowwithdwind

Reviewed January 4, 2013

My family came here once a week. One thing about this restaurant is don't come during meal hours (lunch or dinner). The whole place is overcrowded and you may need to queue for table.

The restaurant has smoking and non-smoking sections. Doesn't matter which section, you will see diners eating, waiting to be served or chatting. Please wave your hands to get those waiters' attention during meal time. They hardly notice you if you don't wave or call.

They have a variety of local delicacies, but not all good for recommendations. Our favourites are the beef noodle soup (Soto daging), Rojak Daging, Kak Nong Cendol and its daily specialties.

Like the previous reviewer suggested, they seriously need to improve their customer service. Hopefully 2013 we will see some improvements.

1  Thank bambooKK
Reviewed December 12, 2012

I was taken for dinner by the principal and was told that this restaurant have variety of foods and drinks to choose for. When we arrived at about 8pm the place is already crowded. We managed to parked our car nearby since there was an empty space next to the restaurant.

We sat at the table facing the main road and it is cool when the wind blows. Most of the tables near us are filled with people eating, chatting or waiting. There is a call for service button but it seems that nobody bothers to give their attention. Only after waving our hand that one of the waiter came to give us the menu.

Food selection is quite good. I tried the noodles soup with fish but can't remember it's name. I enjoyed the cendol and still the name just does not stick to my head.

The overall experience is not so bad since their food is tasty. However, the service could be improved to be better.

Reviewed November 12, 2012

I have been hearing about people talking good recommendation. So i went for dinner last night.. I found that its quite a disapointment... My partner ordered a dbowl of soto daging n fried chicken with salted egg for me.. The chicken is so-so.. N the quantity is not reasonable.. N the soto beef kinda big dissapointment.. Sliced very tiny thin... N doesnt even taste a bit of tasty... Overall, its a big waste of money for my dinner that last night.. :( ps: the staff dont know abt the food theyare serving to the customer...

Reviewed November 10, 2012

medium upper range cafe offer great local delicacies
serves at simple breezy sembulan bay facing the sutera harbour
try the ice coffea and special fried rice
make sure you come early for lunch before its cramped with executives