“Fabulous place”
Review of Masada Backpacker

and 1 more site!
Masada Backpacker
Reviewed June 28, 2013

This place is fabulous . Stayed there with my husband and 3 children in June for 6 nights. Complimentary breakfast was plentiful and has the most comfortable beds ever! It is extremely clean and seems very well managed. All the staff are friendly and informed so are able to assist with travel plans. It has a very friendly and relaxed feel to it. If I ever go back to KK I'd only stay there.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Clarebowden

Reviewed June 21, 2013

That was definitely a right choice that I chose this place for staying. As a backpacker, it is amazingly clean. It seems that they are constantly cleaning everywhere. I didn't see any dust on the flour. So nice that they provide a fresh towel to the customers. Also it's so helpful that they provide "breakfast" all day! I also enjoyed tasty Sabah tea.. nice!

I really loved the staffs there. They work very hard and kind, help us very sincere. Each rooms are just next to the counter but I would say it is safe, staffs are always stay close. As a solo traveler, I felt very secure. The front opens 24H... what a service! It's not a big backpacker, and it is very good thing. It seems that staffs can take care of each one. I used to work at a hostel before, and I know that big hostels are hard to control. It runs by wonderful matured staffs with great hospitality, not by crazy young people.

As people mentions, we need across the hall way when we take shower. It actually not really comfortable but it didn't really bother me. This is cheap backpacker, not a 5 star hotel! As a backpacker, I would say it's more than 5 stars.

I am very glad to find this place. No doubt that I will chose this place for the next time I visit Kota Kinabalu. Thank you so much!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank lala221
Reviewed June 10, 2013

I stayed there 4 nights and loved it!!! The breakfast is complimentary the whole day, the common areas are really clean with a nice hot shower, free shoap and shampoo. There is a male and female dorm, the beds were really comfortable. The location is pretty good and the staff uber friendly! This place is often fully booked so it is better to book in advance!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank sembangmamak
Reviewed June 9, 2013

Stayed 10 nights here between 25.5-6.2013!!

Awesome place. Very clean, nice staff, good location and the all day breakfast rocks! Also have free of charge luggage room.

I stayed on 3 different hostels in KK and liked Masada most! Just make sure that you book all the nights you want to stay beforehand or at least let them know how long are you going to stay. Hostel is fully booked very often, so you might not be able to extend your stay in short notice. They also have separate dorms for men and females and sometimes have to change the rooms due booking situation, so be prepared to switch your bed every now and then.

Still definitely one of the best hostels I have been!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Tropico_MK
Reviewed May 26, 2013 via mobile

I stayed in a female dorm for 5 nights and loved it!! The location is within walking distance to the pier, shopping malls, central market and night market. Free soap/shampoo in the shower, and free tea, coffee, crackers, toast and bananas all day!! There is a staff 24 hrs and they are all friendly and helpful. It's a hostel so the turnover is frequent but I met a lot of people to share meals with :) Good Internet connection (in the rooms!), free movies and decent tourist info available in the main room.
I have nothing bad to say about this place. Would totally recommend!

• Stayed: June 2012
3  Thank darwin11
Reviewed May 3, 2013

Masada GH is well located for walking. We were happy we could reserve a three-bed room. The ALL DAY breakfast is a huge benefit with toast, bananas, fresh brewed coffee & filtered water provided. It can get crowded when everyone is trying to eat or hang out /watch TV at the same time. The baggage storeroom door is open and it doesn't always feel like your baggage is secure when you leave to hike the mountain. But nothing bad happened. Nice to have both a front and back entrance. Overall good value.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 28, 2013

I stayed here for 8 nights in the dorm, and left my luggage in the storage room for 5 nights. It was well priced (a little cheaper than most other hostels), efficiently run (they never lost track of payments, bed was made everyday and a fresh towel everyday), flexible (I didn't have to give too much warning if I wanted to stay on), friendly (the staff are gold), homely (a big loungeroom playing Nat Geo 24hrs), free wifi, unlimited toast/coffee/milo/water, cheap beer, safe and secure (someone has to buzz you in and my luggage was safe for 5 days without me). Just all round comfort - do yourself a favour and stay here. Cheap eats close by and Centrepoint Plaza just up the road. Taxi and buses to Mt Kinabalu 100m away.

Room Tip: Dorms have small lockers and have 6 beds in each. Male and females separate.