Gaya Centre Hotel
Ranked #24 of 91 Hotels in Kota Kinabalu
Reviewed November 11, 2012

Nothing too fancy about the check in process but when I asked the front desk folks on the nearby petrol station, they are unable to let me know the location and just let me know the area itself.. Well that was not a big deal but at least they should know the location more than the tourists and not to provide a general reply.

Was assigned a room on the 3rd floor and luckily the room has a window and is facing the sea view. I requested for higher floor rooms though in my booking. Room is clean with basic amenities like power kettle, cups, tea bags, hair dryer. The shower head produces a powerful jet to let you have a relaxing shower after a day's outing in Sabah.

The hotel is just opposite Suria Sabah mall and good for those folks who likes shopping in malls or prefer to watch late night movie as GSC is within the mall itself. The hotel is within walking distance to Gaya Sunday Market, Philippine Market, Waterfront (~5-10mins walk). You can go to the WaterFront for your meals as I realised there is not much food option around hotel area.

The room comes with a breakfast option and the breakfast is good with ample varieties and you can opt to sit outside (non air-con) and has a morning sea view. A good way to kickstart your journey!

All in all, Gaya Centre Hotel is a nice hotel with a strategic location but probably too far for a walk for the elderly folks to the above mentioned places.

Room Tip: + Request for higher sea view room at higher floor + You can pay RM10 to park at the carpark baseme...
1  Thank Y_Kit

Reviewed November 10, 2012

We stayed here when connecting flights to Sandakan. It was good value for a large studio room with two queen beds. Comfortable for our family of two adults and two children. Breakfast is extra, but good value. Clean rooms and friendly staff in good location. Easy walk to Sunday market and night market. Sterile, but we were happy with the stay.

Room Tip: Go high, to reduce chance of street noise, although it is fairly quiet street.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed November 5, 2012

From room to breakfast, everything was good. The only negative point was the difficulty in getting wifi even next to the checkin counter. However, heard upon checking out that they are upgrading to have wifi in the rooms. That would be wonderful. All my friends (10 adults and 1 child) have given a "thumbs up" to Gaya Centre.

Reviewed November 3, 2012

This hotel is quite popular so don't expect them to give you an early check in. We have prebooked our room so as early as 9am, we had no problem checking in. Though i found it somehow strange that they did not register the sharer. I think they should do that for security purposes.

The room we requested was on a high floor with city view and i liked it. The size was average. I always looked forward for breakfast in the morning! The view was fantastic. My boyfriend and i would always sit outdoor in this high table overlooking the harbour and some island.

If you're on a diving trip or you wanna be close to the harbour, i would definitely recommend this hotel for you.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 26, 2012 via mobile

Very pleasent and helpful staff. Near shopping mall. Just next to two shopping mall. Bank just araund the corner. The view overlook the ses and gays island amd two other islands. Except for the rain the stay remains very memorable

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank kuupsabah
Reviewed October 20, 2012

The hotel was nice and clean however it advertises internet access from rooms however this is only available in the lobby.To get a bucket of ice for your wine they charge.The staff are helpful is showing you how to see the attractions.The location is great for shopping and the jetty.

1  Thank ezz15
Reviewed October 17, 2012

I had pretty high expectations after so many glowing reviews of the hotel when we were planning where to stay and booked the Gaya Centre hotel. The rooms looked decent in the pictures and the price was very affordable. Upon making room booking, I requested for a queen bed room and was told that they cannot guarantee it as it was based on availability. This was a little puzzling as it was a full prepayment and hence a confirmed room booking. Nevertheless, they said they would put in this request for me.

We arrived in the night at the hotel and was welcomed by their staff who would open the doors for you. At the front desk, I again repeated my request for a queen bed room which the staff acknolwedged and gave us our room key. We went up, flashed our key and opened the door to a twin bedded room. We immediately went back down with all our luggage to inform them that it was a twin bed instead of a queen. The front desk never apologised and just changed the room. This time it was a queen bed room but somehow there was the stench of drainage from the toilet. Sick of moving rooms once more, we just let it be and hoped for the stench to dissipate after time. That never happened and we endured the stinking toilet for 4 nights.

Wifi was only available in the lobby and is very slow. There was one night when we wanted to make a dinner reservation at a restaurant. My husband approached one female staff at the front desk for help and was told that they do not make reservations as they didn't have the restaurant number. Full stop. We then searched for the number on the ipad and went back to ask them to help with the reservation. The same female staff told him to go to our room to make this call ourselves. Unable to believe the response he got from the front desk, I went with him and addressed all 3 staff there just to make sure I understand correctly that this hotel does not help guests make restaurant reservations as a service and that I were to incur the cost of a call charge from my room to do it. One male staff who appeared to be the senior one was surprised that the female staff would have given such a response to us and graciously said they do assist with this and that I could call from my room too and there will be no charge as there is a problem with their system. So I asked, if there was no problem with the system, I would incur the charge then? He was unable to answer and quickly said, yes, we can make a reservation for you. This is the first time I have experienced a refusal to help from any hotel front desk.

Location wise, it is very close ( 10 min walk) to Jesselton Jetty which will be convenient for scuba divers. We also dived with Diverse Borneo which was right at the back of the hotel too. Suria Sabah shopping centre was terribly disappointing as I somehow had a replica of Suria KLCC in mind. They are both worlds apart. Shopping is dismal and food choices are few.The food court served really bad food and we could not eat the 3 different dishes we ordered. Food along Gaya Street was better. There are also many good ones along the waterfront and at Sedco Complex. It is also easy to walk to the markets from the hotel. The other shopping centre next to the hotel is Wisma Merdeka which was very similar to Lot 10 in KL.

Breakfast at the hotel was pretty good and as per most of the reviews, the view of the sea from the cafe is very nice. The western dishes of the breakfast stay the same every day. The asian dishes change daily. Breakfast was included in our room rate so it was pretty good value. Service at the G Cafe was great and their staff always smiled and were ready to help. If only the front desk took some lessons from them.

I will probably not stay at this hotel again and I do hope that my mediocre experience with them is a one off as it seems the other travellers seem to have it better than me!

Room Tip: Try to avoid room 1219 unless you don't mind the constant drainage stench.
5  Thank Junita56