“Just for spending the night”

The Crown Borneo Hotel
Ranked #68 of 92 Hotels in Kota Kinabalu
Reviewed February 21, 2014

My son and I were spent a couple of nights here during our recent trip to the Seaventures rig in East Borneo; as our flight from Singapore arrived too late to catch the onward flight to Tawau.

While the location close to the airport and the included transfers are great; the rooms themselves are nothing to write home about. It's evident that they don't spend too much in the upkeep of the hotel, and the surrounding area of Tanjung Aru is just as unkempt.

Facilities are very limited in the hotel; apart from air-conditioning, cable TV with a few channels and hot water, there is no other modern conveniences. There's not even a lift in the building.

Having "breakfast included" in the price is a rip-off: "breakfast" is a couple of cold pieces of toast, some instant coffee and a a bowl of mushy cereal (seriously, how difficult is to get cereal right?) - you're much better off having a local Teh Tarik in any of the eateries around the hotel.

Said that, the convenience of the airport transfers makes this hotel a choice if you are just staying overnight.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank Carlos-Mari

Reviewed February 3, 2014

The main reason I chose to stay at this hotel is that they offer free shuttle to the Airport. Even you need to leave as early as 5am, they do not have extra charge for that. I guess that is the main good thing about this place and many guests do choose this place for the same reason.

There are also a few restaurants nearby and some of them even open 24 hours.

It is walking distance to Tanjung Aru Public Beach. However, it is a long walk. There is a bus stop around the corner (16A I believe). For 1 MYR, it can take you to city center.

The room is small. And there was a blackout for my room the night I stayed and it took them more than 1 and 1/2 hours to fix that. As mentioned in many other reviews, the water pressure is problematic and at the daytime it is almost unusable. I have read a lot of negative reviews about this place and I think these are all true. If I did not need to catch an early flight out of the Kota Kinabalu, I would never stay at this place.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
2  Thank Saricie_Q
Reviewed January 9, 2014

Our planned stay was to be just 12 hours, but due to late arrival of our Cebu Pacific flight from Manila, and being held on board for 40 minutes after landing, the actual stay was even shorter.
Having arranged the airport pick up for approx 12 midnight, it was 2 a.m. before we made it out to the van and very patient, friendly driver. (his comments about meeting Cebu Pacific flights were not complimentary).

On arrival we were given a 5 bed room on the 3rd floor, not an easy climb when you're over 70), but I am sure we would have been able to get a more convenient twin room if we had arrived at a more sensible time. As it was, the room was acceptable for such a short stay.
All in all, bearing in mind the cost, and the free airport transfer (except after 11 p.m.) I don't feel inclined to criticise this hotel in any way.

Recommended for a short stopover between flights.

Room Tip: Nolift so unless you are young and fit you may want to avoid the 3rd floor.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Vetus
Reviewed December 30, 2013

Having stayed at this budget hotel in Tanjung Aru no less than 4 times in the past, and have also arranged accomodations on at least 3 occassions for friends who were participating in the annual marathon in Kinabalu, this was probably the most bizzare experince I have had with a hotel anywhere thus far in the world.

-Staff do NOT check nor reply to email enquiries when asking for quotes. Customers are emailing them and giving them business but they have a 'can't be bothered' attitude towards checking and replying to emails in a reasonable period of time.

I had to call them TWICE to check if they had got my emails within the space of a month and on both occassions, I was given the same line of "we will check and contact you." And on both occassions, it was a no action situation.

Having got fed up for the third time, I called up again and finally got something done and someone to actually bother to reply with a quotation.

This is where things get worse.

-This hotel has 4/5 bed rooms for guests. They have ONE rate for the room to cater for 3 guests for a 4/5 bed room. Then they charge you by the person for more than 3 guests. I don't know how they came about calculating this or coming up with this formula but on one occassion, it was without breakfast. When I queried them again, I got a different set of 'rules' from a different member of staff.

-Having called them AGAIN (forth time), I spent 15 minutes on the phone getting absolutely confused as to how many rooms they actually had on the day I wanted to book rooms for my friends and also what the room configurations were. It was just so confusing and so badly organized that you just waste so much time dealing with the staff at this hotel.

I have not had bad experinces at this hotel in the past. Everything was straight forward and nicely organized. Emails were replied to. Bookings paid for and confirmed months in advance.

However, it is obvious the owner and senior staff are not overseeing the actions of the current staff handling bookings and emails.

I have no idea how this budget hotel thinks it can rip customers off by charging for 3 pax in a 4 or 5 bed room without even breakfast, and then charge extra for additional guests when the room I wanted to book was catered for 4/5 guests.

Avoid this hotel if you really can...Mega D'Aru next door is easier to deal with and without the hassles and stress. Alternatively, D'Chaya Hotel across the road which just opened is also easier to book and deal with.

How a hotel can shoot itself in the foot and then insult returning guests and expect it to be alright is beyond me.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 28, 2013

The room looked perfect when we arrived at 1 am and was picked up by our driver, no hassle get on with business quick transfer to the hotel was what we needed that night.
The hotel was ok with our 5 bed room 308. It was a bargain, way bigger than we needed for our family and 2 toilets for express get to bed after a quick bath.
The breakfast was un rushed and all carte with 4 healthy choices.

With a travel desk, massage center, bakery and car rental all connected to the hotel- it's all round service provided.

We ended up getting a great deal on our rented cars and transport transfers.

Good for what you pay got. Great airport transfers, 5 mins from hotel.

Room Tip: Get a room with a window if you have an extended stay.,big rooms are like giant dorm rooms with 5 be...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank chow tien w
Reviewed December 7, 2013 via mobile

The room we checked in was only one rooms with 5 single bed. Actually the hotels must be prepared laundry bag for us so that easily to keep dirty clothes and more about it. Then not more choices for the breakfast... must be improve again....

Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Common C
Reviewed December 1, 2013

We ha e just checked in and instead of giving us 2 rooms (a couple and a shared) as booked and PAID FOR we have been given a 5-person shared room. No mention of a partial refund or any apologies, they even acted like they were doing us a favour. A hotel that can't keep a PAID reservation is no good to me.

• Stayed: December 2013