“Excellant airport hotel”

The Crown Borneo Hotel
Ranked #71 of 92 Hotels in Kota Kinabalu
Reviewed April 21, 2012

Really friendly hotel which were understanding and very helpful when i realised that i'd booked for completely the wrong night. They quickly sorted this out, picked us up from the airport and got us booked into a room. Area around the hotel was really interesting with plenty of local restaurants - not all with english menu's but we worked it out. Free wi-fi was a bonus.

• Stayed: April 2012

Reviewed April 19, 2012

We stayed here one night due to late flight in and early flight out. Free shuttle there waiting for us and ready in the morning to take us back no problems. Room was small but clean and comfortable and at very reasonable price there are no complaits.

Room Tip: Location was very good to the airport but not much else around.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 17, 2012

My room was very clean. The A/C worked very well. The hotel shuttle staff were kindly waiting for me with a sign at the airport (although my flight was delayed by nearly an hour), and the following day they shuttled me back to the airport at the random time I selected (no set specific times - they were very flexible); I was alone in the shuttle as my flight was at 2pm, and they expressed no concerns about taking me at this time. I ate breakfast at the hotel and it cost about 5MR for toast and eggs. The morning of my stay I walked 10 steps across the street to a beauty salon and had a pedicure, eyebrow trim and a 30 minute massage for the grand total of 46MR. Made for a lovely morning and end to my trip to Borneo. Also, there are a number of local-patroned restaurants within a two block radius, but little else for tourists. I certainly recommend this hotel for airport convenience, but would advise staying closer to town for longer stays. Also, there is no elevator in the hotel, but the staff will carry your bags up the stairs (only 1 or 2 floors up).

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the second floor if you don't like stairs. Not sure if there are rooms on the...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank kelly b
Reviewed April 16, 2012

We stayed here on our way to Sandakan. We arrived late into KK and had a flight out the next day. The hotel is fine for this kind of stay. It is close to the airport, therefore not close to the center of town, and it is functional. There is nothing much nearby so I wouldn't recommend it for a long stay. Breakfast was plain but adequate. The staff was very nice and accommodating but couldn't make up for the fact that, despite our having prepaid in advance, when we arrived at close to midnight they had given out two of our three rooms. They put three adults, who had paid for a double and a single, into a large room with 6 beds shoved up against each other, much like a camp cabin, and called it a "deluxe triple". The double room for the other two people was tiny.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 12, 2012

I spent one night at this hotel ahead of an early morning flight. It was clean and quiet but very small. TV was great, shower was hot. Wifi was very weak and didn't reach my room. Received a wake-up call then was driven to the airport in a minivan before dawn for free. There are several small hotels and guesthouses around this area with much better prices. Also, KK is a small city, so you can get to the airport quickly from anywhere really - no need to stay closer to the airport. The hotel is just a few minutes by cab from downtown anyway. Food and massage are both available nearby.

Room Tip: Get a room near the router if you need wifi reception.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank glennbrad
Reviewed March 4, 2012

We stayed 6 nights at the Crown Borneo Hotel. It is very close to KKIA Terminal 2.

The hotel has an awesome transfer system. You can get transfer to anywhere in the city, and the prices are the same or even lower than by taxi.

Rooms are clean and they have a free wifi. We also enjoyed the complimentary menu breakfast.

My family was also a bit worried about the noise of the airport but there were no departing flights after 11pm.

The staff is very helpful and I would recommend the hotel for everyone, people having a connection flight in the next morning and even for longer stay.

Hotel is a good choice if you dont want to be too far from the city but not too far from the awesome Tanjung Aru Beach.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed February 11, 2012

A nice small hotel with clean, although small, rooms. The only medium level service was WiFi, which seemed to operate with fluctuating cycle.

Location close to one of the KK airport runways made me thinking about the noise, but I was able to sleep without any disturbances. Room quality was of the very good standard if you don't count floor space. Shower, sink and toilet were clean and worked well. If you want a whole breakfast buffet, this place is not for you. For a tall guy as I am, breakfast could have been a bit larger, but the variety was still enough for me.

I found the personnel to be polite, humorous and able to help me to find places of my interest.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled solo