“Not bad.”
Review of City Park Lodge

City Park Lodge
Reviewed November 7, 2011

We stayed at this hotel in total almost 2 weeks, we had 3 different rooms. The rooms were basic, but okay! The staff was very friendly and the storageroom convient, because we did a lot of trips around Kota Kinabalu with our daypacks.

Room Tip: When you stay on a sunday and you want to sleep late, don't choose a room on the backsite, becau...
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple

Reviewed September 13, 2011

We stayed there for one night after the Mt Kinabalu hike and just needed a place to sleep and rest. So we were quite undemanding.
Still, the room (204) was in terrible condition - dirty on the walls, moldy smell, aircon only working lousy, sheets clean but old. All in all the worst was the smell and in existent cleanness which was all we actually wanted!
The lady at the reception was not interested in us, unfriendly and only speaking very limited English - or let's say in a dialect hard to understand.
Only go there if you don't find anything better, Horizon Hotel just besides looks quite good.
Only real benefit was the location - very central, a good lounge/bar (SugarBun) just besides and some nice massage parlours for relaxing after the hike.

Room Tip: Don't get 204!
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank Texmex81
Reviewed July 15, 2011

We stayed at City Park Lodge for 3 days and we can definitely recommend it! The location is central, very close to nigh market and everything else. The bed was comfortable, shower with good water pressure, the price for the room was reasonable. The staff were very friendly, it felt like coming home every day.
Guesthouses on that street face a noisy karaoke place, so if you want it to be more quite, ask for a room that faces backyard. They stop singing around midnight anyway.
In total, we think that this lodge provides very good value for money.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Marina_Andreas
Reviewed June 25, 2011

I just had a horrible experience with this hotel. I had made an online reservation via their website and had received an email saying:

Hi,

Thank you for choosing City Park Lodge!

We are pleased to confirm your booking of a deluxe double for 1 night.
Thanks and hope to see you soon.

Regards, CPL.

However, when I called the hotel from the airport to inquire about transport to the hotel they advised me not to bother. I was told that there was no room and the hotel was full. When I told them that I have a reservation and provided my name I was instantly told there is no such booking and the staff member who was being very short, loud and rude hung up on me. I called back to see if there had been a misunderstanding but was told that I was not on the books and my email booking is irrelevant, I was hung up on a second time.

The effect of this was that I had to spend the night in Kota Kinabalu airport - not a pleasant experience!

This is unacceptable service for a hotel. Clearly they had overbooked and thus did not want to speak to me. This shows that they are interested in profit over integrity as I had an email confirmation but they would not recognise this because of what I assume was overbooking. It also shows a lack of reliability and honesty. Even if I was to spend tomorrow night in this hotel, could I really trust them enough to leave my wallet or other possessions lying around when they were dishonest and did not recognise my booking? it would be foolish to have such a faith.

I highly recommend you do not make any bookings with this hotel - you could end up stranded at the airport like I was. More importantly how could you trust your person and possessions with an establishment that lacks such basic standards of integrity, honesty and good will.

Stayed: June 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank MuadDib5
Reviewed July 30, 2010

We stayed in a room without a window (65RM) which felt like a cross between a bedsit and a prison. The room was small and drab with paint peeling off the walls and large holes where fixtures had been removed. It was very noisy so we were often woken up by people in the corridor and slamming doors. There was nowhere to hang anything so we ended up hanging what clothes we could from the TV bracket on the wall. A decent lick of paint would have made it look considerably better. The whole place seems to have fallen into neglect given that it is not that old. There's free tea and coffee and a toaster for use in the common area although we didn't find this out until we'd been there for a few days. The common area also smelled of fish which was rather off-putting. The location is excellent, very central and within walking distance of restaurants, shops, and the jetty. The day staff are indifferent, bordering on rude. There is a lone PC with free internet which was almost always occupied by one of the staff, either on Facebook or watching videos. The woman who is there during the day was more concerned with seeing how her Facebook cafe was coming along, rather than attending to real customers. On one occasion, I was told not to go on the PC as she was downloading some music. Wi-fi was available although it didn't always work as the PC streaming videos for the staff was using up all the bandwidth. The City Park Lodge doesn't really seem to know whether it wants to be a hotel or a hostel. Either way it is poor value for money.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank msakr
Reviewed February 11, 2010

Rloveasia's review pretty much hit it on the head. This is a small operation with a local flavor, operating on upper floors of a row house that is on one of the main drags and centrally located. Rooms are smallish and might be subject to some mildew, but in Borneo it's hard to keep that out. You do have to walk at least one flight of stairs to the office and probably at least another flight to your room. I showed up without a reservation and requested one with a window (RM70) and got a good bay window overlooking the street (with a parking lot and taxi stand directly across). TV was very small and had a ceiling mount; bathroom had walk-in shower. There was also a common lobby area adjoining the office.

Location was pretty ideal for central KK. You could walk to anywhere between Centrepoint and Suria Sabah without much trouble or needing a taxi. Taxis to/from the airport aren't good value considering the distance; the coupon taxis are RM30 from the airport to town and RM25 the other way (not the hotel's fault, but just so you know what to expect).

As always, be sure to get a receipt if paying cash to avoid any possible misunderstanding later. This is definitely a budget place, but places like this at around $20 a night are a real step up from hostel-style places at $10. Malaysia is one of those countries where the lower-midrange isn't priced much higher than the bottom, so if you're not on a totally frugal budget it can be worthwhile.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed January 4, 2010

We spent 6 nights at City Park Lodge in February 2009. The hostel is nothing special, the rooms are a bit damp because of the cimate and the walls are thin, but it is good value for rooms with attached bathroom. Coffe and tea are free at the reception and the laundry service is reliable (on time and no spots:-). Great location, everything is close by and a big parking lot is just in front of the hotel. We went for a 2day trip and left all our stuff in our rooms, nothing was missing when we arrived back, so we can say the hostel is a safe place to stay.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled with friends