“Great Location”

Hotel Eden54
Ranked #2 of 91 Hotels in Kota Kinabalu
“Great Location”
Reviewed April 20, 2013 via mobile

Great hotel in a good location; near lots of restaurants, Jesselton point harbour to go out to the islands, shopping centre and sea front. Rooms are clean and with air con. The staff were helpful and booked a few trips for us.

• Stayed April 2013
2 Thank Person28

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (178)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Maidenhead, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 18, 2013

This hotel is in the nicest part of Kota Kinabalu - near Gaya Street and all the eateries. The woman who runs it is incredibly friendly and helpful. She helped us organise some trips and she was always available to answer our questions. The hotel has a kitchenette in the lounge area for guest use.They also offer a laundry service ( returned next day) at a very reasonable cost. The rooms are fine and clean ( although a little small). This was very good value for money.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 18, 2013

I stayed here twice in January 2013 on my way into and out of Kota Kinabalu. First impression was that it was a cute, chic hotel with lots of personality and the manager was really friendly and goes out of her way to help. It's in a great, central area near to shopping malls and restaurants. The first room I stayed in was lovely, quiet and comfortable. However I realised very soon after I had left, that I'd left a small black jacket on the back of the chair in my room. I assumed it would be waiting for me on my return to the hotel a few days later and there'd be no need to email so I waited a good few days before I emailed, but I was told it had not been handed in. I was really shocked and disappointed. Of course I know the manager would have had nothing to do with it, but I do feel it was the responsibility of whoever found it to hand it in and I can't believe this didn't happen.Therefore on my second stay (on my way back through Kota Kinabalu) I couldn't help but feel quite bad about the whole situation which ruined my stay somewhat. I was a hundred percent sure I'd left the jacket, because I remember placing it on the chair with my scarf over the top and piled some pillows on top of this (as I had too many pillows) and I remember quickly packing up my stuff the next day and grabbing the scarf from under the pile of pillows but leaving the jacket underneath. Unfortunately added to that, the room I had this time (the smallest one with no window situated closest to reception) was not at all sound proof so I was woken several times during the night with noises coming from what sounded like building works in reception, and cupboard doors opening and closing. I was wearing ear plugs but still couldn't get a proper nights sleep. I don't like to be fussy about these sorts of things, but also my shower room had a dirty towel on the floor and some water splashed around it. I didn't much like having to move the dirty towel to the side. I would say that not all rooms are like this though, as the first one I stayed in was fine.

Overall I'd have given this hotel the maximum number of stars just for the first night's experience, but sadly, the loss of my jacket and the noise on the second night does make it lose quite a few marks for me. If only my jacket were to turn up and then I'd glady stay here many more times!

Room Tip: Avoid the single room situated near to reception area
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Perth, Australia
Reviewed April 18, 2013

We arrived at Hotel Eden 54 fresh from the airport at about 7am. Although we were not scheduled to check in until 2pm, Ling Ling welcomed us, and assured us that a room would be ready within an hour. She sent us to a (great) place for breakfast, and when we returned our room was freshly cleaned and ready for us to collapse into. This was the beginning of a beautiful friendship. Nothing was too much trouble for Ling Ling and the owner Albert, and they were always available to help and offer advice. The room was small but very clean and comfortable, and excellent value for money. Strongly recommend to travellers who want comfort without perhaps unnecessary luxury and frills.

Room Tip: Ensure you get a room with a window. The internal rooms looked fine but a bit gloomy.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Surfers Paradise, Australia
Reviewed April 14, 2013

The staff at Hotel Eden 54, especially Ling Ling, were amazing. She can do anything! We had not planned our holiday in advance and had many questions. Ling Ling went above and beyond our expectations of service. She helped us with great suggestions of places to see, made phone calls to book accommodation in other areas of Sabah, helped organise different modes of transport and provided a hospitable and welcoming space to come back to again and again. The hotel was clean, comfortable and had the fast and free wifi. It is very conveniently located in the central area, close to good shopping and eating. I would thoroughly recommend Hotel Eden to anyone wanting a friendly place to stay.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Windsor, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 13, 2013

We did not use Eden 54 as a luxury resort hotel - it isn't one. We used it as a stop-over on four separate (rather than successive) nights while we explored North Borneo, including Mount Kinabalu, Sandakan and the Kinabatangan and, finally, the Maliau Basin. This hotel was clean, cool, good value with exceptionally helpful and attentive staff. It was a joy to have clothes beautifully (and cheaply) washed and pressed which we left with them between stays and they were wholly reliable with the luggage we left too. It's bang in the middle of town - we landed on our feet here.

Room Tip: We stayed in four different rooms. None magical, all dependable and comfortable and clean.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed April 12, 2013

We stayed for two nights. We made our booking through Agoda which only offers rooms without windows. If you book directly through the hotel you can also book rooms with windows.

The rooms we got was in good shape and well maintained and cleaned. It was very small but enough for our needs. If you are a very large person or have a lot of luggage you might want to consider another hotel. One thing that might be a little negative was the huge centipede in the bathroom that scared my girlfriend half to death. It seemed to live under the door frame. :)

The hotel does not offer any breakfast (as far as we know) but you have a decent kitchen were you can prepare and eat your own food. You have a couple of supermarkets around the corner (do not buy at the supermarket directly at the corner since it is very expensive) where you can buy breakfast etc.

We did not speak to the personnel very much but the interactions we had they were very friendly and helpful. They took their time to answer our questions and helped us book a taxi for the morning we left the hotel.

The location of the hotel is great as well. The pier with the speedboats are a a few minutes away (walking) so it is easy to reach the famous and beautiful Islands outside Kota Kinabalu. The biggest shopping center in the town as well as many of the most restaurants in town are just around the corner as well.

Room Tip: The receptionist told us that even though the hotel might look full on the booking site Agoda there...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple