“The human touch is what counts….”
Review of Hotel Eden54

Hotel Eden54
Ranked #3 of 92 Hotels in Kota Kinabalu
Reviewed November 14, 2012

The reception staff makes the difference in this place. So friendly, so service oriented with many good tips. We enjoyed every minute staying here. Room was only rather small, internet worked well in the room and there is a fridge available for joint use. Hotel Eden 54 is a 15 minutes drive located from the airport in Gaya Street, a charming, tree-lined street with hotels, Chinese medicine shops, tourist information, local restaurants, banks, law offices, etc. One of the main shopping centre is one block away and around the corner you find a fantastic supermarket (with good wines). We enjoyed walking to Signal hill (view point), looking around at the evening barbecues at the sea side, the market and the Sedco food complex (where fresh sea food in water basins is offered ready to be prepared but do not forget to negotiate first). Hotel Eden 54 offers a excellent price/quality combi. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed November 9, 2012

We stayed here a couple of nights. Rooms are very good value for money. Location is perfect, everything in the city is within walking distance. Staff is exceptionally friendly and helpful. They will make your stay one worthwhile. Don't forget to ask ling ling about the tours, she will arrange everything perfectly.

Room Tip: Rooms with windoweferred
Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank frans p
Reviewed November 9, 2012

We stay a night after we back from mount kinabalu. I get a 2 single bedroom, just nice for 2 ppl. Room is clean, bed was so comfortable and got free wifi.

This hotel is near to jesselton jetty just walking distance.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Lo_JM
Reviewed November 7, 2012

No wonder this place has got great reviews. Stayed here for 3 nights and the location is excellent, right in the centre and appears well known by locals, taxi drivers etc. Very good value for money, very safe, secure. Rooms fairly small (you don't need a large room anyway) but very clean with all modern facilities. Found wifi a bit slow but I put this down to the hotel probably being full and many guests using it. Main thing though is the staff. Chee Ling Ling is extremely helpful and goes way beyond the call of duty. She helped us plan 5 days of our trip at another couple of locations and was always on hand to help us out and I couldn't thank her enough. The entire place is immaculate and from the moment you step in you can tell they take a lot of pride in the place. Thanks so much for a great stay.

Room Tip: I booked a few days ahead but due to this place being so popular could only get a room without a win...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank graham07930
Reviewed November 6, 2012

We stayed here for two nights, before and after climbing Mt Kinabalu. For the price we paid, I was expecting something fairly basic but was pleasantly surprised upon arrival - it is more like a small hotel than a budget guesthouse. The room was spotlessly clean with crisp white bed linen, plump pillows and decent towels, with a flat screen tv, bottled water and fresh flowers for that extra but of comfort. The first room we had was small with no window, but it was perfectly comfortable. Bathroom was imacculate, good water pressure and hot water. The second room we had was a king studio, with a window looking out onto Gaya Street that offered the same level of cleanliness but with good natural light. The perfect place to collapse after climbing the mountain!
Apart from the quality furnishings, professional appearance and attention to detail, the staff are definitely the stand-out feature of this hotel - Ling Ling, the Front Office Supervisor, was particularly welcoming and helpful, explaining how to get to Kinabalu park and arranging transport for us to the airport when we left. We were able to leave our backpacks at the hotel while we were away in Kinabalu Park, and returned a day later to find the bags already placed in our (different) room, for no extra charge.
The only reason I couldn't give them full marks was a complaint my boyfriend had about the admittedly noisy air filter in the first room - because there is no window, you have to keep it on during the night and if you are a light sleeper, this can be a bit of a problem. Otherwise, I would highly recommend this place for people looking to stay a few nights in Kinabalu for a reasonable price.

Room Tip: Try to book a room with a window to avoid the noisy air filters in the windowless rooms.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Globetripper86
Reviewed October 28, 2012

I was traveling with two friends, so we opted to book the Queen + Single based on the photos that we saw. I was a little disappointed in the room, as it was much smaller than the photo indicated. I did happen to peak into other rooms with the same same Queen/Single configuration, and think we must have gotten the "small" version of that type of room. Overlooking this one detail, I enjoyed my stay at Eden54. It's a blend of hotel and hostel, with a common area that houses a fridge, microwave and toaster oven, so you can make your own breakfast. The hotel staff were friendly, and made outstanding recommendations for both food and activities.

The location is further north than other accommodations, but still close enough to restaurants and the markets that it wasn't a concern. On the plus side, it was very close to the Ferry port, so we could quickly hit up the boats to the outlying islands to do some snorkeling and relaxing on the beach.

Sadly, my last night was marred by a construction crew working in the alley right outside my window the entire night, something out of the control of the Eden54 staff.

Overall, I would recommend Eden54 to friends and family who are looking for a quick Kota Kinabalu getaway.

Room Tip: If asking for the Queen+Single, make sure you get the one with the attached door to the room next do...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank longhorn513
Reviewed October 25, 2012 via mobile

For the amount we paid for our room I was very happy.

The staff were very friendly and helpful throughout our stay. Drew on a map where all of the best places to eat were and they were spot on. One day I asked how I could get to the downbelow dive shop, they told me not to bother walking and helped me book over the phone. Wonderful of them.

The room was very clean. There were signs up about renovations but I didn't hear any noise at all.

It is very close to a large shopping centre and every tour operator and taxi driver knows where it is. We had a great stay and I would stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2012