Cititel Express Kota Kinabalu
Ranked #20 of 91 Hotels in Kota Kinabalu
Reviewed May 13, 2014

The hotel room rates are attractive and we do not expect much out of it. First of the location is good, 10mins walk to Filipino market, 5mins walk to palm square shopping center, and just beside hotel there were plenty of head chopping seafood restaurant and cheap eateries. 15mins walk to Jalan Gaya which is happening during sunday morning.

Hotel is small, new and clean. Staff are friendly and attentive. Rooms are small (a standard CItitel), but it was expected. Things we don't like is we were arranged to room without window, although slightly bigger but we dislike that. And the sound proofing of room is terrible, we could hear the slam of door and some inconsiderate patrons talking late at night and early in the morning. Particularly those door slamming, works better than alarm clock...

Room Tip: Avoid rooms without window if you want morning sun to greet you in the morning
2  Thank BensonLong

Reviewed May 11, 2014

The hotel was very nice and clean, better than what I had expected. The room was superb with a very nice bathroom. The staff very very helpful. The hotel is very near the seafood restaurant called Welcome Seafood Restaurant so we just walked there. The staff even helped us rent bicycles for us to ride around town.

1  Thank tanchenghock
Reviewed May 10, 2014 via mobile

I am here for family trips. First impressions upon check in, quick, flexible, friendly staff. Pass.
Then come to room, I quite shocked with the size. Barely a step gap between the bed and the wall . Did i choose the wrong hotel? will my parents feel comfortable. These come into my heads. But for the price that I have paid for. I shall not have too high expectations. Clean, comfort bedding, spacious toilet room, have safe to secure valuable item, hair dryer. It has everything. More than enough.
Then i started to walk around hotel. I can see plenty of restaurants (all walking distance). i like fook yan a lot, good place for breakfast (just right next to the hotel) . Centre point, a shopping mall just across the street. For the strategic location, I conveniently reach Filipino market on feet (10-15min).
I started to feel i made the right choice of staying at cititel express when I slowly discover more gems on my own.
I will definitely come back here. Will book a bigger room if coming with family members again.
I left the hotel with a satisfying heart. Hence it is depend on what you want. :)

Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank SIANG128
Reviewed May 8, 2014

Aircond room but hot!!! haha..difficult find the location.

climb the majestic Mount Kinabalu as well as to do some sight-seeing. This hotel is ideally located with various shops and supermarkets, food courts, eating..

Room Tip: more signage, service aircond plz
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank tifei87
CititelExpressKK, Hotel Manager at Cititel Express Kota Kinabalu, responded to this reviewResponded May 9, 2014

Dear Valued Guest,

Greetings from Cititel Express Kota Kinabalu and thank you for staying with us.

Our hotel is using individually controlled air-conditioned system in rooms. We regret to hear that your room is hot and hope that the problem has been raised up to front desk so that we can identify the problem and reassign you another room. We will check the rooms again to ensure the problem is resolved.

Once again, thank you for staying with us and thank you for your comments as it certainly help us to improve our hotel products and service.

We hope to serve you again in the near future.

Regards,
Sherry Yee
Hotel Manager

Reviewed May 7, 2014

My friend and I stayed for a couple of nights here. When we saw the rooms, we were flabbergasted. The reviews weren't joking when they said they were extremely small. The desk in the room was dusty the first night but the second night after informing the maid, it was dust-free. For the service, during my check in by a short boy Hilery, he was very rude. When I only asked why I needed to fill in the required, he only stared at me and said " just sign it. I need it " without further explanation. I then found out after that from the other staff that he was just a trainee so I pay no attention to his lack of training. During my check out by a chinese girl Irean, she greeted me before I even mentioned I wanted to check out, it was smooth and even before I got to ask anything else, she already offered me whether I need to keep my luggage, or whether I needed a cab. This is the kind of service I wish to see next time I come here with my friends again. Room price is reasonable, but I was told it was very costly by my KL friends that stayed here during February, but the walk in price was quite reasonable. Buffet is from a Japanese restaurant, but unfortunately, it made me disappointed. Not much choices. There's also free wifi here, and it's at a reasonable speed.

Reviewed April 18, 2014

My better half and I together with our friends stayed in this hotel again for two nights during our recent visit to the Land Below The Wind. We were there mainly to climb the majestic Mount Kinabalu as well as to do some sight-seeing.
This hotel is ideally located with various shops and supermarkets, food courts, eating shops, seafood restaurants, convenient stores, night market, travel agencies in the vicinity. The Filipino market, the evening open-air market and the night pubs at the waterfront are all within minutes of walking distance. The airport is just a few minutes drive away. This hotel gives me the 'not-so-crowded' feeling unlike hotels situated above supermarkets or shops.
Yes, the rooms are rather small but they can accommodate two occupants adequately. More importantly, they are clean and the bathroom is spacious. The room rates have gone up a little since my first visit two years ago but I still find them fairly priced. Trying booking the rooms through the hotel's website to get a lower rate. No breakfast is included because the Japanese restaurant in the lobby is under a different management. However, that should give you the opportunity to try the food in the eating shops and restaurants a few steps away.
Checking-in was quite fast and the receptionist were responsive. Going up the lifts requires you to tap your security card key which is good to keep out the unregistered guests. The free wifi worked fine and the TV had enough channels. Hot and cold water is available in a common area on each floor, so is an iron and its board. Mount Kinabalu climbers can store their luggage and bags in the lobby store room for free.
Overall, I am happy with my stay there and I would recommend this hotel to guests who do not need big rooms on their vacation.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms with a window.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 14, 2014

My friends and I stayed for 2 nights at the cititel KK. We found that the rooms are really small but it had all the necessities. Free wifi and limited astro channels. The breakfast buffet was really bad, Served only nasi lemak, bread, porridge and noodles. Other than that no complaints. Location of the hotel is convenient as there are many shops nearby.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends