“very clean, convenient and value for money” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Cititel Express Kota Kinabalu

Cititel Express Kota Kinabalu
Ranked #19 of 91 Hotels in Kota Kinabalu
Melaka, Malaysia
“very clean, convenient and value for money”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2012

We recently stay there for 2 nights (new year eve & on new year day). We booked 1 standard double & 1 superior triple. I must say its really clean & new, but the room are little small for standard double, I find it difficult to move round. We booked the room online, they charge us average RM117/n for STD Double & RM194/n for SPR Triple which we think its fair enough for the peak season and with clean bed sheet, bath room.

They provide hot water dispenser & iron facility near by the lift which we think the management are very thoughtful. Hair dryer are provided in room which is very convenient, that’s not the mold on dryer at toilet wall, it’s a Panasonic potable hair dryer that can control on heat & speed :). Plus point!

The Guardian pharmacy just next to our hotel. It’s convenient to get drinking water, toiletries, tidbits or some medic if you don’t have car. Nearby also have many food stall or restaurants. We also walk to the sea side on new year eve to avoid the jam (walk through center point, warisan square) there have plenty of pubs & restaurants, we have good time party at shamrock Irish bar to welcome year 2012. We went there 2 nights :)

In term of service – slow. That’s their culture there, we respect them & bear with it. 1st day check in- Level 11, I left my luggage at lobby & we out for tour, when we come back at 3pm they said my room not yet cleans & we need to change to another room, so we return our room card & change to level 6. Reason? -the cleansing staff when out for lunch! Ha, its 1 time I heard such funny excuses. Interesting! We don’t mind, as long they provide us clean room :)

Overall, convenient & worth staying! Will come back again.

If you love fresh deep sea fish like I do, you can wake up early & go to the main market nearby (abt 5 min drive). Plenty of fresh fish at super value price, you can’t get it in west Malaysia with such price & quality of freshness. Bring some home (not more than 7kg, hand carry) & share with your love one:) (p/s-buy one day earlier, frozen the fish & pack before leaving. I heard from the local: some frozen seafood shop can help to pack at RM5 per box or airport at RM10 per box).

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank weiwee

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Hong Kong, China
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 21, 2011

We stayed in this hotel for one night as a stopover between flights.

The room is small and double bed pretty much takes up the space of the room. The remaining space is taken up with clothing storage and a safe but that's it. There was a flat  screen tv to make efficient use of the space.

There were two mugs but no tea /coffee nor kettle to boil the water. Instead drinking water is available in the communal utility room outside, which also has the ironing facility.

The bathroom is small but functional and clean. The only linen was  body towels and toiletries were a shower cap and cotton buds.

The hotel did the job fine as we were only staying overnight. It is 15 minutes from the airport so that made it convenient for us. We left too early to try their breakfast but as we knew we wouldn't be staying that long we opted to take the room only rate. If we were staying longer in KK and wanted to enjoy ourselves more it's unlikely we will stay here again, though.

• Stayed December 2011
Ottawa, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 30, 2011

I booked this hotel through the hotel website and stayed here 3 nights. One night in a single room as a layover to Sandakan and then two nights in a double room. Although quite small, the room was sufficient. It was clean, but had little room to place luggage off the ground. There is a cabinet where I was able to set my luggage and very small table/ledge, that could barely fit anything, this is where the phone, hair dryer and mugs are stored.

Something that I was not familiar with in Malaysia is the tendency for hotels to list wifi as an amenity in every room except it does not necessarily mean it is included in the price of the room. It was a minimal charge, however, I did feel tricked. I guess this is something that gets lost in translation when viewing the website. I suppose they didn't claim that it was included, but I was under the impression that it was.

Overall the service was good. The room was clean and provided a good place to sleep. There is a food centre next door, a small convenience store, and a drug store (although I rarely saw it open), there was a restaurant that is a self serve cafeteria style which I found convenient for breakfast, but in my experience, there isn't much open late at night. As well it is quite close to the harbour front where there is a lot to explore.

This hotel had new furnishings, was clean and had a comfortable bed and met my minimal needs.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank peachtree1111
Malaysia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 29, 2011

The hotel is centrally located and easy access to the major shopping complex and touristic area in town. The room are far too small, if you have big luggage to put on the floor, you would hardly move around in the room. Limited hotel facilities! However, for those business or single travellers, this hotel still can be consider BUT not for honeymooners.
Price tag is reasonable and hotel staffs are friendly.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank kwok4303
Hong Kong, China
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 27, 2011

Probably the best deal in town. It's a decent basic budget hotel, RM102 per night for single room. Outlook smart modern tall colourful and can be seen at a distance. Yes, the room is rather small, yet, to me, it's already spacious as compared with that I saw in London/Brussels which is a joke. The toilet room and shower cubicle is spacious. Shower head big and water strong. It provides towels, shower cap, soap, and 3-in-1 cleaning gel for shampoo, conditioner and shower gel. Room clean, bed comfy, things used are of good quality with brand eg TV is Sharp, toilet is Toto. There are 10 channels including one radio channel, some are interesting like Discovery. Air con is silent and well functioning. There are also safe deposit box, hair dryer, cups.

Location wise. 5 mins walk to evening food stalls in Sedco Square. There you can have good quality of seafood for which Kota Kinabalu is famous. But personally I will not advise you to dine there as it's very pricey, targeting at tourists. Instead, as advised by locals, you'd better go to the seafood restaurant called "Welcome" inside "Star City North" which is a shopping complex just next to this hotel. 5 mins walk from this hotel will get to a night market, 10 mins to the Sunday Market which only opens on every morning of Sunday along Gaya Street. These markets are not exciting or interesting to me though. They sell clothings, bags, acessories, the usual stuff.

For the downside, doors have to be closed quite forcefully and so sometimes I heard the banging sound from others. This could wake me up. Staff's English is not good and communication can be a problem.

I have spent one and a half day to walk around the city centre of Kota Kinabalu and did see quite many other hotels which are dated, dingy, depressing, or else at the other end like Meridien or Jesselton which prices are x times that of this hotel. Cititel Express, I think it's the best deal in town.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
Kuching, Malaysia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 22, 2011

i stayed in this hotel before and was satisfied with it,so for this 3rd time in sabah,i chose to bring my parents here and they were also satisfied with this hotel.it has all the facilities needed in the room, comfortable beds and spacious room.the location is also strategic.you can easily get to the philippine market,jesselton point and other nearby places.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank beckynica
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2011

We had a 4-night stay at Cititel Kota Kinabalu. Compact, clean & convenient.

I hope the staff would be trained to speak proper English.

I couldn't understand why there is no 2-single-bed room with windows available at this hotel. My friend and I (two guys) gotta squeeze in a queen-size bed evey night! :-(

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends