“Overall”
Review of Manja Hotel

Manja Hotel
Ranked #25 of 81 Kota Kinabalu B&B and Inns
Reviewed March 28, 2014

At hidden location need to check and keep on our eye looking and serch for it.Room are clean and most of the staff are friendlly.Specially the front desk staff.They are really happy to help and provider usefull inform on the public transport.Suggest some improvement to hotel for provider a guest with return airport pick-up.

Room Tip: Not a prefect choice for thoice was travel by using a public transport.Each time need to get a cab f...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Manja Hotel

Reviewed March 10, 2014

The room is spacious with large bathroom. The shower is good with high water pressure. Our room is facing another block, however we are ok with it as we spend most of the time outside. Selection of TV channels are good. They have movie, sport and news channel. The are a lot of cafe and pub surrounding the hotel. There is 24 hours convenience store just next to the hotel. It is a bit difficult to get a taxi however you may ask the hotel to call it for you.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank ahmadzafri
Reviewed December 21, 2013

The room has good size and enough to move around. The service is good. The location is actually very close to the market but due to the construction happening one needs to walk additional 1 km. KK Times Square has a good ambience.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank drfauzims
Reviewed December 16, 2013

room renovated since my last visit...more sleek and cool colors.
simple, clean and comfy rooms .
Bar and restaurant still happening close by. Good location if you like nigh life and have a party. Parking rates bit too expensive..

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank zembesitiger
Reviewed November 21, 2013

Lousy staffs/ customer service . Confirm airport transfer but no one was at the airport to pick us up. Call up the hotel and they ask for airport terminal which I've already told them the flight no. and flight arrival timing . 2nd day room key not working so went to reception to validate it again . Reception staff not around so told one of the other staff who was there and he immediate told the reception staff as he was walking back towards the reception. I stand infront of the reception waiting for him to revalidate the key and after almost 10 minutes and it was still not done ! So I look at him and ask him, but he was like don't know what is happening and ask me what I want ? I've been standing there for so long right in front of him and he didn't bother to ask ! Nvr book this hotel ! Lousy and not cheap either at RM244 per night without breakfast and no toiletries provided in the room. Gaya Centre Hotel is much better choice with super good location and good service

• Stayed: November 2013
2  Thank Peg888
Reviewed September 12, 2013

Location:
Located at Block E, right inside KK Times Square, it faces the inside of the square or courtyard, so you can't really see it from the outside. Just tell the cabbie it's directly behind Block A, or first alley on the right from the main road into Times Square, or just stop in front of Kingston Hotel and walk towards the inside of the square and it's the first corner on your right.

I checked in late at almost 9pm. That was painless as I booked through Agoda. To get to the rooms, you have to walk out of the reception area, through the main door and take the lift on the side of the building. This is typical of most KK hotels of this genre.

The Room:
Very nice, sleek, clean and most importantly, NO MILDEWY SMELL. I got one on the fourth floor that faced the inside of the square, which I liked because I could look down and watch people walking around, sitting outside the bars and eateries downstairs.

The bathroom was huge, nicely spaced out. Clean with no unnecessary bells and whistles. The hot water needs to be hotter though, and there were no towels. Not one, not even floor mats or hand towels. Not a big deal, but I'd just driven four hours from Kudat and was already half ready for my shower. At that point, I just wanted to wash and flop.

I can imagine that noise from the pubs below would be a problem on weekends, so...do bear that in mind. Noise was not an issue during my stay though.

Room Rate:
RM138 (~USD40) on Agoda, with free airport transfer.

Free Airport Transfer:
Aha. This was my little adventure. I asked for a 6.30am transfer when I checked in. All well & good the staff are friendly and very pleasant, all of them. Come morning, I checked out early and the driver was nowhere to be found. Not good for nervous travellers like me.

Fifteen minutes in, and the reception staff was still frantically calling for their colleague, who was not picking up his phone. At that point, I made a fuss and asked them to call me a cab. Some more frantic running around. I insisted on a cab again.

Long story short, cab came. Staff must have called a cabbie friend. "Am I paying for this or is the hotel paying?" I asked as I stepped out the door.

Graciously, they said the hotel was paying.

Pros and Cons:
1. Pleasant room
2. Pleasant staff
Clean
3. Not easy to get cabs. You need phone for a pick-up.
4. A little out of town centre but convenient for business trips if your meetings are near Times Square or Sutera Harbour, or if you're just stopping over to catch a flight the next day
5. Potential noise pollution on weekends because of the pubs
6. The airport transfer kerfaffle should never have happened. They need to have a word with their driver, or the night reception staff never told him he had a first thing next morning. My advice: if you decide to stay here, make sure you imprint your airport transfer or cab times into the reception staff's head.

I didn't have an unpleasant experience. I just felt all that fuss and stroppiness on my part could have been avoided.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Cynfulwords
Reviewed August 1, 2013

Didn't quite like the room, although big and spacious but it lacks the furnishing and other amenities.

Also since it is situated on the above a restaurant, room on the second floor has got this food / oil smell. Not really pleasant.

Stayed for 2 nights... House keeping NEVER came to clean the room, even with the sign put out.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business