“Nice view”

Courtyard Hotel @ 1Borneo
Ranked #78 of 92 Hotels in Kota Kinabalu
Reviewed July 13, 2012

I like the idea to stay at this hotel because of the view at the roof top, 6th floor during my previous birthday dinner. It was nice and romantic restaurant. The hotel superior room was kind of cheap but too small for a couple. My partner and I just lay down on the bed every time we came back to the room. Very basic room but value for money.

Room Tip: Get the room with the window.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed July 11, 2012

my 1st day was ok.. the reception was good and polite.. i booked two rooms(twin and triple).. the twin single bed was ok.. the room was comfy but the toilet door was quite hard to lock.. need another person to push from the outside then we can lock the door.. so me & my sister decided not to lock so that we wont get locked inside.. the room was a bit cold at night but ok.. as for the triple room, there was only one electric socket available & the aircon was hot.. my family slept in sweats.. plus the room was made up of a twin double bed and a single bed.. the single bed was place in front of the toilet.. if we want to get inside the toilet we need to pass a person head to get in.. in my religion, that is rude.. especially when a person is sleeping there..
in the website, we were told that we have Wifi in the hotel, sad but true, the so called Wifi is only at the Ground floor & the rooftop.. if we need internet we can get cable from the reception..

the 2nd day, we had breakfast at the roof top.. nice view.. food excellent.. everything was ok except the aircon and the Wifi cannot be accessed.. the room was made up while we were in the room.. the cleaners are very noisy..

the 3rd day, the breakfast was ok, except the nasi lemak rice was not really cooked.. the rest was ok.. the room service cleaners make up our room and took our extra room card which i left in the room to keep the aircon on so that we have a cool room when we came back.. i was surprise to find it missing from the room.. what makes it worse they took out the card but not the garbage.. absent minded.. after making a report, they didnt come back to me with the card, instead they came to the room just to get the rubbish.. i went out and they promise to bring back the card.. at the other room, technicion only came late at night to fix the aircon and the Cable for the internet.. bad timing..

after all this, hope the hotel will take considerations in my comments:

1) Check all rooms for defaults like the dors and locks..
2) if a room is not suitable to put in an extra bed, please provide a bigger room.
3) if you can get Wifi for every floor, this would be better, if not make sure the cables & the internet socket is good and the internet is not lagged..
4) room service should not talk loudly in the presence of hotels tenants, make sure everything is in order and cleaned before leaving the room.. and please advise not to take extra keys left in the room.
5) Food should be cooked & tasted before sending it out to the tables. this is to make sure nobody gets an upset stomach by eating raw food.

Thank you for the hospitality & hope when i go back there, some changes have been made..

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank BltLykes
Reviewed July 5, 2012

well, let's begin with the lift, the only one to access to every floor. --> Inconvenient!

the room is okay....everything is provided, but for the bathroom is sucks. The water pressure is terrible low and temperature is unstable. The design for the bath is dumb! water still can flow to outside.

The breakfast is average.

The staff here not professional at all, no one at the reception while we intended to check-out and found the staff was drinking coffee behind.

Alot of improvemenst and trainings for them to become a better hotel.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed June 16, 2012

It was a poor and horrible hotel in Kota Kinabalu,Sabah. Regreted staying for the night in this hotel. The beds were uncomfortable and hard and it was very noisy outside the corridor. On the first night, when I wanted to close the door and come in to my hotel room after my dinner buffet, the door suddenly beeped loudly and was so annoying that I needed to banged it loudly to stop the horrible sound. There was not enough space for putting my luagge too. Their services were also poor and terrible that I really don't want to stay in that hotel on my 2nd trip of KK.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 13, 2012

On 5th June 2012, we a group of 9 pax check-in to Courtyard Hotel for a 4days-3nights stay with booking of 5 rooms. Our booking were done via Airasiago.com for 3 Deluxe Executive rooms under my name: Wan and 2 Superior rooms under name: Lim.

All of us have been very excited and looking forward to have a very memorable joyous trip and yes, we were truly been served with a very memorable but horrible experiences!!!

Disappointment 1: Rooms Not Ready
Upon our arrival to the hotel at 2pm on the check-in day, we were informed by the Front Office staff on duty (a gentleman with spectacles) that rooms were not ready for check-in. As all of us were tired (furthermore, 1 of our group member was unwell), therefore i requested him to find a room (at least 1 room instead of 5 rooms as per our booking) for us to rest and freshen-up while waiting for the other rooms to be ready. After much efforts, he managed to find a vacant room for us. While doing the 1st room check-in, he had informed me that only RM50 will be required as deposit for each room and i had given him my credit card for verification for deposit of all the 5 rooms. He also requested for my mobile phone number as he promised to call me to collect keys for the other 4 rooms once they are ready.

Disappointment 2: No Call as Promised, No Check-in
Believed that we will be notified once the rooms are ready, we decided to have dinner some where near the hotel but our waiting was in vain as we did not receive any call. As it’s getting late, we were getting worry and have no choice but to cut short our dinner and return to hotel to check on our rooms’ status. To my dismay, no check-in being done and again I was required to do the credit card verification as the Front Office staff on duty (a lady) informed me that no records of any verification been made during the 1st room check-in. I am just wondering what had happen during the 1st room check-in process?

Disappointment 3: Faulty Shower Water-Heater
After much hassle, we were glad that finally we were able to check-in to clean decent rooms but the water-heater in the shower room was faulty as the temperature was irregular (water will be either too hot or cold) and this had happen in all the 5 rooms.

Disappointment 4: Morning Disturbance
On 09th June 2012 (our check-out day) around 9am, a male hotel staff (claimed to be from Housekeeping Dept) had tried to enter to 1 of our rooms (room no: 521) wanted to do room inspection as he claimed that hotel system shown that room was already vacant.

Disappointment 5: Late Check-out Request
On 09th June 2012 (our check-out day) early morning, I had tried to request for complimentary late check-out at 3pm for 2 rooms for 9 of us (1 of our group member was still unwell) to rest while waiting for the airport transportation at 4pm.
However, only 1 room was allowed for late check-out at 1pm (maybe I should be thankful as least there was 1 room for my unwell group member to rest).

Disappointment 6: Humiliation for Being Treated as Thief / Criminal
After we had check-out at 1pm, we had decided to store our luggage in bell/porter counter as we had plan for lunch at nearby shopping mall before the arrival of our airport transportation at 4pm.
At 4pm, as we had placed our luggage into the airport transport: a van and thinking that finally, we will be going home soon…But we were stopped by Front Office staff (a lady) and Security Officer (equipped with nightstick/truncheon!!! ) questioning us if we had taken the iron in room no:321 (1 of the 5 rooms we had occupied). They also demanded to inspect our luggage even we had told them we didn’t take the iron (first of all, we didn’t even request for any iron upon check-in or during of our stay there).
OH MY GOD!!! Why would we take the iron to travel miles back to our home in KL?! Or maybe they were thinking that we simply love to have an iron to add-on the extra kilos in our luggage so that we can ‘happily’ pay for the excess weight luggage fees?!
I really didn’t see any reasons that we should allow them to do the inspection but all the group members were worried that we might not be able to reach airport on time and miss our flight. To prevent further times wasting, I had no choice but to let them do the inspection. However, it seem that a little times had been saved but we were unable to save our dignity as all of us were totally humiliated when 2 Bellman were instructed to unpack our luggage at the hotel public area with the presence of all other guests…I can’t imagine what will they be thinking of us?! We were the guests but sadly, why were we been treated like Thieves/Criminals?! Security Officer equipped with nightstick/truncheon, is that necessary?! We were the hotel guests in their property, supposedly we should be more worry?
Finally, the nightmare ended when they didn’t find any iron in our luggage. Without any courtesy to apologize for all the inconvenience caused, we were allowed to leave the hotel to catch our flight.

Well, there’s also another issue in regards of my credit card that been used for rooms deposit. Upon check-in, I was informed by the Front Office staff only RM50 per room will be required as deposit. Therefore, only total of RM250 should be charged for deposit of 5 rooms but when I called to Credit Card Customer Service Hotline to enquire and to clarify some charges (as I am worry that the hotel might still wanted to charge me for the iron that they had lost and I know that they still be able to do manual charging to credit card)
I was surprised to know that my credit card had been charged at RM300 instead of RM250 and I am wondering why I was informed differently upon check-in?

So, if you happen to be in KK and will check-in to that particular hotel, please be extra careful, be alert, always double-check your credit card transactions and re-confirm the facilities in the room. If should there be any items that you feel should be there but is missing (eg. pillows, towels or TV), quickly notify or re-confirm with the Front Office or Housekeeping Dept.

I really hope that other guests will not encounter such unpleasant treatment/situation like mine. I am not trying to be exaggerate but till now I am still worry that the hotel will be calling to me and wanted me to be responsible if there is a Plasma TV been missing from their hotel rooms.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
9  Thank AviWan
Reviewed May 17, 2012

the hotel was nice and simple and next to the mall which is very convenient. there is free wifi but only in the common areas. some of the rooms don't have windows and there was a really lowed noise inside the room when it rains. overall the hotel is okay if you are looking for a place to sleep.

the hotel is a little far from the city center. breakfast is nothing special but I like the ambiance of the restaurant

Room Tip: choose the more expensive room. the cheapest one does not have any windows and is far from the elev...
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 12, 2012

Hotel location only good for shopping. It is far from city center. Most of the staff we met are very unfriendly except for Mr Roslan who greets guest and tries be friendly with most of the guest having breakfast. .It is the only hotel I had stayed where the porter did not attempt to help with our luggage.
There is a free shuttle service provided by the mall. Guest are not aware as there as no display at the hotel.Taxis to city center is Rm30 one way. It is advisable to book the free shuttle service in advance as it is a first come first serve basis.It runs on an hourly basis so if it's full you have to wait another hour. We had a room on the 4th floor which has an exit used by its staff to their other departments, so even in the middle of the night, there are people walking along the corridors.
Would not stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple