“The cleanest one”

Kinabalu Backpackers Lodge
HCMC, VN
“The cleanest one”
Reviewed September 16, 2010

The 1st day I stayed in another hotel in a private room but it was terrible. So I had to look for other places, only here is cleanest with affordable price. It locates near Jesselton Ferry Terminal. I think Lavender Lodge near Filipino Market also clean but a bit higher. I stayed in a dorm mix room (male + female) but quite safe. Price 25RM + continental breakfast + aircon all day. There are 2 common bath + 2 common toilet, of course not comfortable and spacious like at home but I don't ask for more convenience at that price.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo

Families
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
  • Finnish first
  • Indonesian first
Malaysia
Reviewed August 18, 2010

This backpacker is located at a very strategic location; near to jetty, town and public transports (bus and vans). You can easily soak in the Kota Kinabalu Sunday Market atmosphere as they are just above the buzz. Cleanliness and friendliness is excellent.
There was once I stayed out too late and the lady at the reception actually waited up for me, very much like how a mother would (minus the nagging)!
They don't serve huge, heavy breakfast but it's enough to cure any early morning hunger pangs one may experience after a good night's sleep.
Bathrooms are shared but are always very clean.
Good stay and very good value for the service they offer.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends
Johor Bahru, Malaysia
Reviewed July 5, 2010

A place for all travelers to feel home and the friendliness of locals.

Stayed April 2009, traveled with friends
Australia
Reviewed June 21, 2010

I booked this after reading the reviews from the other travellers, so wanted to give the alternative point of view considering my experience. In short, the staff are lovely and I feel bad putting this review on here, but I found it a very noisy place. It is on a main road and the walls and windows are very thin. Our room faced the back but I could still hear the traffic from the road. The walls between the rooms are extremely thin. We could hear every conversation at all hours of the day and well into the night and morning. If someone sneezed it sounded if it was in your room. We heard the couple having sex in the room next door. Lovely! It was friendly enough, but it was full of young European girls hogging the free computer to check their Facebook pages for an hour, even though they had been given a 20 minute time limit. There is free breakfast and the place is spotless and nice bathrooms. Yuan is a gem and really did organise our 2 weeks in Sabah for us. And while I feel grateful to her, we did not return and stay in this place when we returned to KK because I had spent 3 sleepless nights there. We were the only backpackers in our 40s, so maybe it is an age thing. Everyone else was in their early 20s. We wanted to get a good nights sleep and get up early and see stuff. The others would be up late and complain when they slept in they missed their bus to Sandakan. I would recommend it to people who are of a certain age and demographic, perhaps not suitable for those our age. I felt like putting this on here because we had no idea how noisy it was, surely others have noticed?

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Cavite City, Philippines
Reviewed April 11, 2010

We stayed here from March 26 until April 2. I must say the staffs were amazing and very accommodating. BJ helped us in every possible way he can. They made our stay in KK a memorable one :D. Thanks guys!!!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends
Metro Manila
Reviewed March 10, 2010

My friends and I stayed there from Mar. 6-9, 2010. We took a room with queen-sized bed and an additional bed. The room was clean and the rest rooms were clean as well. There was one shower room and two toilets (also with shower). Also available are daily breakfast (bread and jams, tea or coffee). There was a toaster available for your bread if you want it toasted. There were also two computers available downstairs for internet and also the whole hostel was wifi-enabled. The staffers were friendly. Overall, this is a really great hostel and would definitely recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends
Boston, MA
Reviewed October 4, 2009

I took a tour of the guesthouse in KK. I arrived int he early afternoon so I must have went to at least 15 hostels and guesthouses. As soon as I found Kinabalu Backpackers Lodge I stopped looking. The rooms are spotlessly clean. There is free internet (wi-fi and computers), brekkie, and AC. It is a small hostel with only 2 dorms and a couple double rooms. There was never a wait for the bathrooms. Location was close to the town center with all the rest of them but just off the side so it is nice and quite. The selling point however is the owners and staff. They must have made at least 50 phone calls trying to help me organize the rest of my time in Borneo. Most of the calls were to get the permit to dive Sipadan. For those of you who don't know it is the ungettable get. If it wasn't for the owners I would have never got my permit! and it is SOOOO worth it. I would recommend any traveler to stay here.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled solo