“Clean. Good value for money.”

Kinabalu Backpackers Lodge
Manila, Philippines
“Clean. Good value for money.”
Reviewed March 19, 2014

We stayed here for 2 nights. It was a standard private room for 60 RM per night. The room has an A/C, window and and the bathroom is shared.They provide free simple breakfast, wiFi, internet access, locker, tour information. You have to take off your shoes inside the hostel.

Staff: Very nice and friendly. It was easy to talk and transact with one of their staff Carey via email. Although she was quiet most of the time, she was helpful. My friend and I forgot to bring our transformer and she lent us one of theirs. When we went to our room to charge our phones, the transformer was not working so my friend went down to borrow another one. When she came back she had about 3 different transformers! We appreciate Carey's patience that time.

Location: The place is in Lorong Dewan (Australian place). There were a lot of backpackers lodging in the area. It is also near Jesselton Point. The hostel is a few meters walk away from the Atkinson Tower. You can also view the Signal Hill deck from this hostel. In fact, we went to Signal Hill from the hostel on foot. It took us about 20 minutes. There are buses that pass by the hostel. In the evening, you can leisurely walk to the Waterfront and Suria Mall which are about 2-3 blocks away.

Room: The room is clean and the bed is huge, we like the padded headboard, something that I don't usually see in budget hotels. There is also a dresser. The room has a huge closet and there were clothes hangers. There were 4 socket plugs in the room. A/C is working fine and yes it was a little bit noisy but it was tolerable enough since it didn't bother us when we were sleeping. (Or maybe we were just dead tired) They did not provide blankets but they did give towels. They were huge enough to pass off as blankets.

Bathroom: This is shared. There were 4 toilets with hot & cold shower. They were so tiny, though. Some people may find it hard to move around while taking a shower. I am so particular with the bathroom so I am happy that the staff check the bathrooms every now and then to maintain cleanliness.

Breakfast: It's the usual bread toast, marmalade, butter and coffee. They sometimes ran out of bread so just ask the staff at the reception and they will provide another stock.

Overall, I think it's a decent place to stay. The room is clean and although we checked out beyond the required check out time ( we were expecting to pay extra since it was stipulated in the Policy board posted in each room), they never charged us extra. Oh and by the way, they asked for 50RM refundable deposit for keys.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank yasameen_desu

Families
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
  • Finnish first
  • Indonesian first
Reviewed December 17, 2013 via mobile

Hostels around australias place seem to have something in common. None of them is good, ar least the 3 (!) I tried.

After my first night in KBL i felt like i was getting sick. I used the aircon and i suspect it to be the cause. It almost ruined my plan to clim Mt. Kinabulu.

My room was in front of the noisy road and i used earplugs even when i was not sleeping. Too loud!

The staff did not seem to be very happy and did not like to talk or even look at me much. She did her job well, but failed making me feel comfortable. It seemed like she did not like my presence and questions. But she helped me with organising my trip. I give her that.

All in all i did not enjoy my stay in kota kinabalu because people were not friendly no matter where i went. Too bad.

Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank i_love_earplugs
Baliuag, Philippines
Reviewed November 22, 2013

You'll basically pay for what you get.. Basic breakfast.. They should be aware of the lacked of breakfast they served at morning.. Staff not much help because they can't understand english easily but they were friendly though but a bit weird.. A good place to stay and very cheap but lacks of social space and no free blankets/comforter at the bed..

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed October 20, 2013 via mobile

We stayed in a double room for 50/night which had a comfortable bed, good aircon and a good amount of space! We saw inside the dorms and they looked pretty nice as well. The bathrooms were clean and the water was nice and hot. Breakfast was very basic. Wifi was very good! Staff were not the friendliest but they weren't rude either. Good location right in the city centre behind the tourist info centre. If I came back to KK I'd stay here again!

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank danigross88
Siquijor Island, Philippines
Reviewed October 9, 2013

Stayed for a night on my way through town. Dorm beds are comfortable, with working but not very efficient AC (never got temp down to settings on dial but good temperature to sleep). No insect problems.

Breakfast is basic and 4 shared toilet/showers small but clean with hot water.

Lacks a little atmosphere and staff aren't very friendly but they're helpful enough.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank mjhulf
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed September 11, 2013

I has been there couple time, price is cheap among Gaya Street Guest House. Staying Dorm including air-condition. Close to town. convenient and clean environment. free Wifi and free computer internet for all the guest, its help me save some money instead I go cyber cafe for checking my mail. Just 1 thing I quite unlike is bath room do not supply free soap or shampoo gel.
Overall I am good for it, satisfied :)

Room Tip: gust house is next to main road, will be bit noisy during day time. however, there is no issue durin...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed July 9, 2013 via mobile

I gave this hostel 3 out of 5 because it is all OK, but not more than that. The room was spacious, the matrass a bit bumpy but OK, airco was nice, big windows were nice. Breakfast is simple but OK although sometimes covered in ants, showers are good, but the bathrooms are musty.
I'm a bit puzzled why i saw such great reviews about the staff. We didn't get towels and we were not told that the door of the entrance can only be opened using a card that you can get when you pay a deposit. No problem, but tell us!! Then I'm more than happy to pay a deposit and not getting locked out. The same hold for telling us that one shower is not working properly. Not a problem, but tell us instead of letting me figuring that one out by waiting endless for hot water.

• Stayed July 2013