“No Frills Comfort”
Review of Pantai Inn

Pantai Inn
Ranked #7 of 82 Kota Kinabalu B&B and Inns
Reviewed January 13, 2012

Can't beat the central location. Stayed here for a couple nights and the hotel staff were more than friendly. The hotel is starting to fade, and could use a face lift but it was fairly clean, hot water showers, and not musty. No food, but plenty to choose from by way of a short stroll.

Room Tip: Might want to ask for a smoke free room if the smell of smoke bothers you.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled solo

Reviewed January 10, 2012

The room was RM83 per night and, as others have written, not very big but not really too small if you're not planning on staying in all day. Clean, maybe not the cleanest ever but certainly nothing that would bother me. Staff is friendly and helped me organize a day trip. Private shower. TV, although none of channels were in English except one connected to an Astro box in the reception, so that channel is chosen for all rooms downstairs. Phone in room. Location is great, although that is not a very big issue in KK. It's nice to be so close to the ferry terminal though, 10 min on foot. Free water. Nice Satay places right outside. No breakfast, maybe it was possible to buy, but there's places around.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 14, 2011

Stayed here on 2 separate ocations. Why did we come back? Well very good location and its quite cheap. The rooms are not that big, but for 2 persons its good. The wifi works great in the rooms. Leave your laundry in the afternoon and get it giftwrapped in the morning. One thing thou, the food isnt that good. There are plenty of restaurants around the corner.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 30, 2011

Yes, the rooms are teeny. So much so, that you can shower and use the toilet at the same time. However, I've had smaller rooms in London, where the experience was quite miserable. What made this different? The fact that they had very fast and consistent wifi, the cleaning service was spotless, and the restaurant directly connected to the hotel was one of the best Malay restaurants that we ate at, and it was cheap to boot. O, silly me, AND the hotel was incredibly priced. Freakin' incredible. About $28USD/nt incredible. O wait, I'm not done yet, did I mention the location is central to everything? You've got the Filipino Market to the sw (which I did not find any Filipino food...curious), the Sunday (Gaya St) Market to the e, Jesselton Point to the n, and Centre Point mall to the s. All within walking distance. Wow. Now for the cons...Honestly, this is a great value, but just to be thorough: If you're going to get a room close to the wifi router, it's going to be slightly street noisy...or more than slightly. But consider this if you're coming from U.S.: KK is 15 hrs ahead of LAX, you're going to be tired by 8pm here, b/c it's 5am back home. Use some ear plugs if you must, you will sleep. The toilet was tricky to use...we figured it out on our own, but that was probably the most annoying thing about the room. And then again, once you visit your first public bathroom where you get charged to use vile facilities where 1/3 of the toilets aren't working, no toilet paper is provided, and the floor is flooded with fetid water (o, poor you if you chose to wear flip flops) that dumps into a trough...basically, your run of the mill asian restroom...You're not going to care a bit that your hotel toilet has a combo flush code. *It's spotlessly clean* (And then again, chances are there will be nothing wrong with your toilet). As for toiletry, only soap was provided. If you need other stuff, there are stores around the corner if you head south and turn left...Seriously, if you're looking for a budget hotel...Look no further. This is it. O wait....How did I forget the best part: your room has a perfectly functioning arctic cold A/C. If you don't understand the significance of this, this must be your first trip to Asia...

Room Tip: If wifi is important, you're going to be placed near the street. If sleep is important, you'...
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank lilorchid82
Reviewed October 13, 2011

This hotel was great. Yes, the rooms are small, but why would anybody be spending time in them?! The staff were absolutely superb and so so friendly. Location good, just a few streets from the waterfront and the amazing night market. Clean rooms, tv set, air con, hot water, decent bathroom. When I go back to KK, I'll stay there again. Great value!

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Stoff101
Reviewed October 12, 2011

Made reservation thru agoda. The Inn is located along the main road of the city and just a few blocks away from the Waterfront and several malls in the area. Upon arrival, I presented my agoda booking with the receptionist. I was given a key to a room and directed where to go. I was confused because the room number printed on the key is 103 but I was told to get to the lift. When I get to the lift, it became clear to me that the Ground Floor (G) is not the same as the First Floor (1). So off we go to the 1st floor (which is actually on the second level) and to our Twin Room. The plastic casing on the key chain functions as the key card for the power. There are several switch panels in the room that can turn on/off the same set of lights and the switch for the aircon was on the same panel as the lights but was not properly identified so I thought the aircon unit was broken since I couldn’t make the remote work. The room provided to us has a connecting door to the adjacent room. Initially, this concerned me as there are occupants on the other side of the room (I can hear them) but upon close inspection, the door has locks from both sides. The room is bigger than the ones in Singapore. Glasses were provided but no drinking water (drinking water is for sale on the lobby). The beds are okay, the sheets and pillows are clean. There is a small clothes cabinet at the foot of the bed and provided with a few hangers. Toilet is functional but there is no partition between the toilet and shower area. The shower head is positioned near the bathroom door so when you take a shower, you have to close the door or water will spill-over to the bedroom. On the plus side, there is hot water and pressure is good. When I made my booking, it says that there is cable TV but Astro (their cable network) has been terminated so we were left to make do with 1 English channel.

Although the hotel is fronting the main road, our room is located at the back so the noise of the traffic doesn’t reach us. Hotel staffs are helpful but they have difficulty answering me in English. I expected them to be familiar with the area but they don’t know where the port for the cruise ship is located. They kept pointing me to Jesselton which is not my destination.

They have a different type of electrical socket which is 3-prongged and the spaces between the prongs are farther apart. Thus, I can’t plug-in my cellphone charger . I requested for an adapter and they provided me with one but it has the same configuration as the wall socket. I have included an image of the American and Malaysian sockets for comparison.
Overall, your are getting good value for the room.

Room Tip: Request for a room at the back of the hotel so you won't be bothered by traffic noise.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed August 23, 2011

Pro: Staff really friendly.
Pro: Staff very helpful.
Pro: Clean Rooms.
Pro: Excellent air-con.
Pro: Great location.
Pro: Hot water.
Pro: Good sleep quality.
Pro: Rooms 85 RM per night.

Con: Rooms small, but who comes to Borneo to sit around in their hotel room anyway?

Overall an excellent option in the heart of KK.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple