Open today: 7:00 AM - 9:00 PM
Review Highlights
Assignment trip

Hello my name is Emellda, me and my friends went to Gaya Island last month to fulfill our... read more

Reviewed 2 days ago
EmelldaM2018
via mobile
best place to explore marine life!

Went to Pulau Gaya and we chose this place as our topic for our assignment. Learnt a lot from the... read more

Reviewed 3 days ago

More Info
from $70.00
More Info
1,352 results
All reviews gaya island dive centre myne resort instructor development open water scuba diving these guys fish dive course kinabatangan river office staff fun dives great diving awesome experience went smoothly whole team via email
Reviewed July 9, 2013

My husband and i signed up for the Discover Scuba Diving (DSD) last week and it was GREAT! Downbelow (DB) arranged hotel pickup and we arrived at Marina Sands jetty where we had to sign a non-obligatory form and were whisked off to the boat, there was only 2 of us on the boat as the earlier boat had left.

The boat ride is about 7 min and we arrived at DB site on Gaya island. There we were given other forms to sign, sized up for our scuba mask, fins and wetsuits (optional). We took the wetsuits IN CASE there were jelly fish attacks! Just kidding, i was just being paranoid. Then our instructor for the briefing was Charlie, he gave us some hand signals briefing which we use underwater then strapped us to the gas tank with 10kg of weight belts and off we go!!! First u gotta walk about 100m to the shallow water to practice, it was HEAVY! so u dont get whisked to the shore, u gotta 'crawl' there :)

We had a 20 min briefing and practice, and we're good to go! Are we genius or what? LOL Then we dived/swim down about 9m for about 30 min, it was fun watching all the corals, we saw a big squid and few fishes. It was surprisingly easy the first time. Then it was lunch. Next dive was at 2.45pm. This time we went with Chris and Andi, they took us to Sapi island, so we can get a look at a different dive site and we got down to 12m! Quick tip - breathe out and wait for 3-5 seconds so that you will sink. I was floating upwards becos i kept on breathing in!!!

Oh and there was Paul, he was really helpful when we were asking bunch of questions on taking up scuba and activities available in DB or if we can take the same DSD again the next day (yes, we liked it that much)

There were many others in DB, some snorkeling and others taking PADI courses. Its a pretty popular joint and i'm not surprised. People were friendly and makes it comfortable to enjoy the trip. The DSD was RM355 per pax and covers hotel transfer, boat, island charges, scuba equipment rental and instructor for the course.

Date of experience: July 2013
2  Thank Flore_yeung
Reviewed July 3, 2013

I had booked the PADI open water diver course just a day in advance and everything went smoothly. The service was great i.e., they'll pick you up at your hotel on time, boats are always ready to pick you up and send you back on time, etc. My instructor, Sam, was fantastic and very attentive throughout the course. I was quite nervous on the first day and was unable to progress as fast as the others taking the same course as me, so the instructors made sure that I was okay and taught me one on one, which helped a lot. They were very encouraging and tried their best to ensure that everyone taking the course was properly attended to, which resulted in me getting certified in 3 days time! No complaints on the equipment, food, etc. though the toilets have definitely seen better days. Nevertheless, I wouldn't hesitate coming back here for fun dives/ courses as the service was great throughout.

Date of experience: May 2013
1  Thank nadjoe
Reviewed July 2, 2013

I did my PADI open water and advanced open water with Downbelow. My instructor Liz was excellent and as a plus I got 1 to 1 instruction for the whole time as no one else was taking the course. Downbelow also doesn't charge a single supplement unlike the other dive centres I contacted in KK. Service was very good, the staff set up all the equipment, carried things to the boat and set up the dive equipment (except when I had to do it as a requirement of the course) and food provided for lunch was decent.

On the negative side, their equipment is a bit worn (although servicable) and their supplied mask didn't really fit my face well. Although, my instructor lent me her's when she noticed which was much better! They are also a little bit more expensive than the other dive operations around, but I definitely thought that my teaching was top notch especially when comparing my experience to other friends when they have done their PADI courses.

Date of experience: June 2013
2  Thank quieteating
Reviewed July 1, 2013

I stayed over a month in Kota Kinabalu.Borneo SABAH completing my IDC at Dive Downbelow. Choosing a place for the course is not an easy job,firstly after reading few comments from previous participants and through close friends who has been there then Dive Downbelow became my first choice from the list which has been short listed.I would highly recommend you gals and guys doing your IDCs here.The Course Director's and the IDC Team was great in their teachings and assisting throughout the whole course until your'e prepared to sit for the IE.The logistical supports for the whole course is marvelous .Accommodation was great and the room was spacious with attached bathroom. I really enjoyed my stay during the whole duration.....what else you want to ask....make known to them. Complain? What you mean..? NONE.....Once again Thank you very much Dive Downbelow..till then I will be there again. Regards...Instructor Nordin Zakaria

Date of experience: May 2013
1  Thank NordinZ
Reviewed June 30, 2013

We booked a day of snorkeling with Downbelow around Gaya and surrounding islands as well as a trip to Selingan (Turtle) Island. Both outings went off without a hitch. The staff are friendly and know their stuff. The guides really were a pleasure to spend time with and everything we were promised we got (and more!).

My only criticism is the lunch at Gaya Island was pretty bland, but I didn't go there to eat restaurant food. All equipment was top notch and we always felt welcome and looked after. Thanks for some great memories Downbelow.

Date of experience: June 2013