Open today: 7:00 AM - 9:00 PM
Review Highlights
One of the best full day sun, sea and sand excursion in Base Camp, Gaya Island

We went to the island for a full day of fun activities: trekking, snorkeling and sea kayaking. Our... read more

Reviewed yesterday
ruhaizad77
Valuable experience

Last month me and my friends went to Gaya Island for assignment. And ya, that place is sooooo nice... read more

Reviewed 2 days ago
Cleavennyvia
via mobile

1,350 results
All reviews gaya island dive centre myne resort instructor development open water scuba diving these guys fish dive course kinabatangan river office staff fun dives great diving awesome experience went smoothly whole team via email
Reviewed July 1, 2013

I stayed over a month in Kota Kinabalu.Borneo SABAH completing my IDC at Dive Downbelow. Choosing a place for the course is not an easy job,firstly after reading few comments from previous participants and through close friends who has been there then Dive Downbelow became my first choice from the list which has been short listed.I would highly recommend you gals and guys doing your IDCs here.The Course Director's and the IDC Team was great in their teachings and assisting throughout the whole course until your'e prepared to sit for the IE.The logistical supports for the whole course is marvelous .Accommodation was great and the room was spacious with attached bathroom. I really enjoyed my stay during the whole duration.....what else you want to ask....make known to them. Complain? What you mean..? NONE.....Once again Thank you very much Dive Downbelow..till then I will be there again. Regards...Instructor Nordin Zakaria

Date of experience: May 2013
1  Thank NordinZ
Reviewed June 30, 2013

We booked a day of snorkeling with Downbelow around Gaya and surrounding islands as well as a trip to Selingan (Turtle) Island. Both outings went off without a hitch. The staff are friendly and know their stuff. The guides really were a pleasure to spend time with and everything we were promised we got (and more!).

My only criticism is the lunch at Gaya Island was pretty bland, but I didn't go there to eat restaurant food. All equipment was top notch and we always felt welcome and looked after. Thanks for some great memories Downbelow.

Date of experience: June 2013
Reviewed June 30, 2013

My husband and I have gone on a dive vacation in May/June somewhere in the South Pacific/Coral Triangle for each of the last four years. As soon as we return from a phenomenal trip, I start to plan our next one. I go on the internet for hours nearly every evening to research our chosen destination. I have a wonderful dive travel agent in California (Dolphin Destiny Adventures) who then makes the appropriate arrangements for these trips, and who answers my enormous and endless list of questions. In addition to scuba diving, I also determine some land-based activities so we can take in both the local wildlife and culture. In 2013 our chosen destination was Sabah, Borneo. We selected Mabul/Sipadan and Layang Layang Islands as our dive locales. For our land excursions, we concentrated on two areas -- the Sandakan/Kinabatangan River region; and the greater KK area, where we had two days in which to check out the harvest festival and find a rafflesia flower in bloom before catching our return flight home. I needed help planning these land-based activities. Extensive research and stellar reviews led me to Downbelow Marine & Wildlife Adventures. I did not expect Downbelow to be as patient with me as Dolphin Destiny, but I was wrong. They would always answer my incessant questions with prompt and informative replies. I selected their 3 day/2 night “Kinabatangan Sepilok & Gomantong Boutique” package for our Sandakan/Kinabatangan River sightseeing tour, and they accommodated us by adding the Rainforest Discovery Center to that schedule as well. They were quick to make alternative arrangements for us when our domestic flight to Sandakan was cancelled. Our knowledgeable guide was able to spot and inform us about all kinds of wildlife and relayed to us historical details and current events. During that tour, Downbelow travel agents stayed in touch with us to make sure that all was going well. For our rafflesia hunt, Downbelow managed to locate a rafflesia flower in bloom and arrange for a full day excursion in which we not only saw two blooming rafflesia flowers, but also took in Mt. Kinabalu National Park as well. Rafflesia flowers are rare, and only in bloom for seven days, and Downbelow was persistent in locating an open flower and making last minute travel arrangements for us. We had another wonderful guide. When our guide received a call from Malaysia Airlines telling us that the first leg of our return flight was cancelled and we would have to return immediately to catch an earlier flight, once again Downbelow kicked into gear. (I am pretty sure that our driver is now ready for professional racing!). For anyone looking for a reputable and competent group to arrange and oversee travel in Sabah, believe the wonderful reviews you read about Downbelow and let them take care of you. If you prefer more adventure in the form of botched travel plans, I suggest you look elsewhere, and book on Malaysia Airlines (who managed to cancel the final leg of our trip home as well).

Date of experience: May 2013
2  Thank cooper-smith1
Reviewed June 30, 2013

I have spent just over a month at Dive Downbelow completing my Advanced, Rescue, EFR, and Divemaster courses. I would highly recommend doing an internship here: the instructors are great and you are able to gain experience assisting courses and guiding dives. The accommodation is a plus, as you get your own hotel room with a private bathroom and shower in Kota Kinabalu. I really enjoyed my time here, made great friends, and I wish I didn't have to leave so soon.

Date of experience: June 2013
1  Thank Christina B
Reviewed June 29, 2013

husband and i went diving for 4 days.

location of the dive center is in the park which is very nice.

too organized and they are really by the clock that you cannot dive more than 45 minutes not that there is a lot to see it's just corals and macros and nothing else but since am just learning underwater photography and we are using nitrox it would have been a good additional practice for me if we stayed longer.

staff is good.

food that they are serving is average.

it's a tick in the box don't think we are coming back again...

Date of experience: September 2012