Grand Borneo Hotel
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Breakfast included
The Klagan Regency(Kota Kinabalu)
  • Pool
KK Waterfront Hotel(Kota Kinabalu)
  • Beachfront
Tang Dynasty Bay Hotel(Kota Kinabalu)
  • Restaurant
  • Room Service
Hotel Puri36(Kota Kinabalu)
Nepenthes Villa(Kota Kinabalu)
InHotel(Kota Kinabalu)
  • Pool
All reviewsshopping mallborneo hypermallgrand deluxebooked a superior roombusiness trippleasant stayhotel is locatedbuffet breakfasttown centrecinemaclinicconvenienceeateries
FilterAll languages
Reviewed July 11, 2014

Located just next to the famous one borneo shopping complex in Likas area, it is very convenience and strategic place to stay since we don't have our own transport. checking in was fast, eating and shopping were easy. Since it was fasting month, sahur was provided for the muslims. Room service was good and staffs were friendly. You should try the famous fried banana with cheese at the hotel's restaurant located near the lobby. Overall stay was pleasent.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled on business
3  Thank Afidzah
Reviewed June 29, 2014

We attended a summit in Kota Kinabalu. The organizers have chosen One Borneo Hotel as the venue. That is also where they decided to book the delegates to stay. Approximate travel time from airport to Grand Borneo hotel is about an hour. I preferred to take a bus over taxi as it is way cheaper. About one tenth of what will cost you if you take taxi. I like the high ceiling and lots of seats when I got inside the hotel. It may not be as impressive as others I’ve seen but seats this close from the entrance is a really a plus for me as I’m tired from travelling and seating uncomfortably. The receptionist speaks English well enough for me to understand. Even a couple of bellhops are easy to understand I was able to ask them for suggestions of places to go.

We were assigned to a 'superior' type room good for two. With an additional bed, the room looked already cramped. There is not much space to move except at the foot of the bed and the short way from beds to door. But since we are out most of the day, it is good enough for me. My roommates and I go out if we want to spend time with other friends than stay in the room. The aircon is really cool. I also like the rain/downpour style shower head. The hotel also provided handheld shower for those who prefer that.

I did not like the maze-like search for our rooms. A friend of mine and I parted ways after getting off the elevator since we are assigned to different rooms. Following the arrows and really weird room numbering, I ended up opening a door a room away from her. Funny. I only got used to their system on my third day of stay. There’s very limited to watch on TV for someone who can’t understand Malay but fortunately there’s HBO.

We were able to try the pool in the afternoon, it has roof. There are folded towels on each chair. I’m a little disappointed it is located on the third floor. I’m hoping it is somewhere higher. The water is really, really cold. And it was windy for a time so we were really shivering. There are many birds on one side; we get some feather on the water. So imagine, maybe there are droppings somewhere.

As for the food, there’s buffet for breakfast, lunch and dinner. But we are served the same type of food during our stay. On the second day, we are asked not to eat much since they were not prepared to cater another group of guests. So we just ate desserts. They said they will serve snacks later that day. When we asked if we can have snacks around 3 pm, the organizer said the restaurant already closed at 230 pm. Not my type of day. Not much variety at all. On third day, I am not eating much, and on fourth day, I skipped breakfast and dinner, I only ate lunch so satisfy my hunger and I needed to take medicine.

Good thing there’s a mall beside the hotel, and they close late, maybe 9 or 10PM. There are some restaurants that offer some other dishes. Last lunch before leaving is at Nando’s. Great chicken dish, my chicken had a tag ‘not so brave’ for not ordering some hot or spicy marinade. I’m not really into hot food.

They hotel staff are very polite. It just so happened that we are many that you still have to fall in line before they can entertain your request. And as I’ve mentioned earlier, even the bellhops are generous with their suggestions for good places to go and where to get cheap transpo.
There aren’t many places to visit near the hotel, except for the mall; there isn’t much to see if you walk around. You have to travel at least half an hour to reach the city or more than an hour to visit a tourist spot.

Grand Borneo Hotel is considerably inexpensive but with its location, I will recommend staying in the city if you are going to move a lot around Kota.

Room Tip: If you are not picky, take a bus, it will only cost you one ringgit from grand borneo to hotel to the city. Two ringgit actually for foreigners :) but they will not insist if you give them a ringgit only.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 27, 2014

I attended a function in this hotel a few weeks ago and thought the lobby and atmosphere is quite good. Foods served here is quite delicious although the selection is limited, unlike other hotels I visited in KK. Luckily 1 Borneo is located next door, so if you don't like the foods served here, feel free to dine at the mall. My fellow seminar attendee complained about the elevator problem and the toilet, so I think the service and amenities can be improved further.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed June 25, 2014

This is my first trip to Kota Kinabalu and I wasn't sure which hotel is good so I spend a bit of time researching online and found this hotel.
When I saw the price was pretty decent and the photos looked good, I proceeded to book a superior room as compared to a standard, thinking to have some place nice to rest at night BUT I WAS DEAD WRONG! The room was a pigeon hole and nothing like the superior room that they showed online... as the saying goes... NICE FROM FAR, FAR FROM NICE!!
When I checked in at 10pm, I was promptly given my room. The elevator ride up was bumpy and as soon as I stepped into the room, the room smell Stale and reeked with cigarette odor and the irony is that there's a HUGE non smoking sign as soon as you step out of the elevator.
I wanted to take a shower and there wasn't any towels and i called for it.
After my shower, I wanted to order room service and I opened the hotel file that was in the drawer and it was empty after every page of dividers which clearly labelled the facilities and services in the hotel so I had to take the elevator down to the cafe and order my food to be sent to my room.
While waiting, I connected to the wifi and all I can say is that I was lucky that I was just checking my emails and not surfing.. I received my food and finish my supper AND MY MAILS ARE STILL DOWNLOADING and at the end of the download, I had only 15 emails...?????
It was time to catch the ZZZZ monster and I laid on the king size bed with 4 fairly decent pillows and I woke up about 2hrs later because my whole back was itching away.... OMG!!!! I was so tired that I just placed a spare towel on my bed and continued sleeping.
I don't mean to condemn this hotel but the entire experience was truly awful... I was glad that I just stayed there for 2 nights and couldn't wait to check out..

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
5  Thank AdrianTay
Reviewed June 23, 2014

Stayed at the Grand Borneo and the first thing I thought when we walked in was wow. The rooms were newly renovated and they had an amazing view. There were a few things that seemed like they were trying to cut on costs when they were renovating the rooms. Definitively worth spending the money on the higher rated rooms. Loved my stay here and the locale next to the mall, it made many things easier.

Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple