“Average - comfortable enough, nothing special”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of D'Borneo Hotel

D'Borneo Hotel
D'Borneo Hotel
Ranked #54 of 91 Hotels in Kota Kinabalu
Perth
“Average - comfortable enough, nothing special”
Reviewed January 27, 2010

Comfortable but looking very weary and in need of a renovation. Laundry service made all my clothes smell gross and were unwearable until they were washed again! Not too bad but not great.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
  • Indonesian first
london
Reviewed December 9, 2009

After being rated as Lonely Planet's ''Our Pick'' hotel for mid-range hotels in Kota Kinabalu, we found D'Borneo to be disappointing. The rooms have all the basic amminities, but found that the treatment from staff in general was not very good.

To do anything in Sabah, we quickly found that you need to book in advance and you need help. The staff in D'Borneo and the local tourist information were far from obliging. This was not great but we decided to call round to see what we could do. To do this you have call reception before EVERY call to set up the line.

Despite this, we were doing ok. The room was suiting our needs and is situated just outside the night market (where some of the best food you will eat can be found). However, the next morning we found working the shower was like cracking Alchemy. Each shower has about 10 buttons, all of which don't switch it on. We called a member of staff who walked in said he couldn't understand and would come back. An hour later and we had heard nothing. After calling reception they promptly sent up another person who did exactly the same. After calling reception again and asking if we could use another shower, they begrudgingly allowed us access to another room...... which also had a faulty shower. Our problem wasn't that the water wasn't working, but that we were constantly led to believe that there was nothing wrong and wasted half a day of our holiday getting this sorted out.

We never received an apology and checked out of the hotel soon after. The hotel is ok, but again over priced for the quality and service of the hotel. I wouldn't advise staying here unless they've removed all the 15 year old staff who don't really care about what you want.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JolyonBird

Travelers are raving about these Kota Kinabalu hotels

London, UK
Reviewed October 27, 2009

Had just returned from a few days in the jungle and the hotel was just what I was after - comfortable bed and shower. Centrally located and friendly staff, only issue was shower was only warm at best but not a big issue.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled solo
Paris
Reviewed August 15, 2009

The D'Borneo hotel could be a great hotel. It has nice reviews, is recommanded by Lonely Planet (therefore full most of the time), and has nice large beds, tv and hot shower. However, I had there my worst experience in a 2 weeks trip to Borneo: BED BUGS !!!

If you have never slept with bed bugs, then you don't know what a dreadful experience it is. It starts to itch you in the middle of the night, you think it's mosquitoes so you hide under the blanket. But the more you hide, the more you get bitten. I began to have a doubt when I had 4 consecutive bites on my hand. Looking for bed bugs is difficult because as soon as you move or open the light, they run to hide. You have to look especially under the pillow or on the sides of the bed. I found and killed the first bed bug at 1am, then the 2nd at 2am and the third one around 3am... That's when it became really gross, it was quite large and delivered a large splat of (my) blood when crushed on the bed sheets. At that time, I started to be pissed off, and went to see the night watchmen. He didn't give us another room, or even come to check the room, no he just gave me a bomb of Ridsect. Nice....
Then I sprayed the room very largely, and me and my girlfriend tried to spend the rest of the room sleeping curled in the center of the bed, waiting for the next bite...
And what is nice about bed bugs is that they itch for a long time (I had to apply Parfenac cream for 4 days) and they can give you ugly diseases...

Of course, I was very upset when I came down in the morning to complain about the cleanliness of the room. The lady said she was sorry, didn't come to check the room (!!!!) and offered me a 25 ringgit discount on a 175 ringgit room (around 40eur). That's when I started to think that DBORNEO JUST DON'T GIVE A DAMN ABOUT THEIR CUSTOMERS !!!
After 10 minutes of yelling, they threw at my face 50 ringgit and said I could complain wherever I want. Anyway, they don't care about an unhappy customer, when the hotel is full every night...

So in my opinion, I was surely unlucky. But I don't pay 175 ringgit to spend a night in a hotel with bed bugs. They never came to check, they never proposed another room, they just gave me a bomb of ridsect and threw 25 ringgit at my face. I've slept in 40 ringgit hotel in Borneo, with cleaner bed and better service !

So, no I would never recommand such a place. You'll find better deals elsewhere in Kota Kinabalu (I paid 90 ringgit in Mandarin hotel and had a very quiet night !).

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank littlestylebox
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed July 9, 2009

I'm surprised that some people have given this hotel less than positive reviews: I was very impressed with D'Borneo. In fact, we'd planned to stay in the Jesselton, but after checking both hotels' rooms, decided that the D'Borneo's rooms were of an almost similar standard, at a significantly lower price. Their foyer is bright, clean and attractive, with a selection of current Time magazines, which was a nice extra. Their reception staff were very efficient, pleasant and polite. We chose a deluxe room as we wanted a large bed. In fact we ended up staying on two occasions over a week, in two different deluxe rooms, which were pretty much identical and both were great: spotlessly clean and comfortable with tea and coffee making facilities and complimentary toiletries. Showers were huge, and the bathroom was of an above average standard, with nice towels. The bed was extremely comfortable, and the room had TV, desk, and chairs, including a very comfortable lounger. The day's Borneo Post was popped under our door free of charge each morning (when they forgot one morning I called reception and it was delivered within 60 seconds). Breakfast was great: a choice of cooked breakfasts, with toast, fruit, juice, cake, and cereals in a pleasant, bright cafe area next to the foyer. The location is good: next to the night market, everything within easy walking distance, and a taxi rank outside. We were delighted with D'Borneo and would definitely return. Our only complaint was that while they did claim to have free wifi, this wouldn't work for us, despite their efforts to fix it, and they don't have computers from which to access the internet.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank ms_scotsgirl
Shillong, India
Reviewed May 15, 2009

I was looking for a not so expensive decent place to stay in KK. We stayed here for 2 nights, first on the way to Mout KK and then once on the way back as we very happy with the service. The room was clean enough, not spotless , shower had soap, shower cap, towels. The nice thing was having the tea maker and tea to make morning Sabah tea. There is also a fridge and I booked the Deluxe room which was probably about $40 so decent bargain.But it was off peak tourist season.It is centrally located to the KK markets, the waterfront restaurants and bars and about a short taxi from the Ferry Terminal. We took the Ferry from Brunei to Labuan to KK and the same way back to Brunei. The staff are very helpful in giving me timings of the ferry and calling us a cab. Breakfast was ok, they made eggs the way you want them. There is no elevator. Using the hotel phone to make calls is really expensive so if you are traveling and need to use the phone suggest you get a sim card.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — minor cracks in the bathroom walls
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank habari12
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed January 29, 2009

The good thing about D'Borneo is the location. It's conveniently located at the city centre, along KK malls, handicraft market and the waterfront area. In fact, it is one of the better budget hotels within the area. The receptioninst was friendly and they were very prompt in replying emails.

However, don't expect much from this hotel. The room we had had a musky smell and we spotted a cockroach running around one night. The air-con isn't working properly and you'd better not open the windows unless you want the room to smell like the wet market opposite the hotel! Breakfast was pretty much the same everyday and lack variety. Most probably would prefer not to stay there again on my next trip to KK.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled with friends